Ch-ch-ch-changes

I had the most lovely conversation last night with one of my favorite bloggie friends. We chatted and chatted and I walked outside (just up to 70th and back; I live on 60th). Heather and I always have lots to talk about icon wink Ch ch ch changes Like how great kabocha is:

13kabocha thumb Ch ch ch changes

While I was walking I realized a few things:

• For one, I really like walking. I think I might be burning myself out a little with all this intenSati.
  • Yes, Equinox and intenSati are awesome…
  • But no, I’m not the kind of person who needs (or wants) that kind of exercise every day, every week, or even every month. I like to walk. I like to yoga.
  • I do love the Equinox showers, but I think I can trade them up for some at-home TLC in the form of some new bath products.

So… I probably will not be joining Equinox at the end of this month’s Warrior Challenge. I will definitely miss EarthRise Yoga (which I went to this morning), but I’ll replace it with podcasts and yoga on my own. (This is my yoga page – full of free recommendations. I’ll be updating this soon! Stay tuned.)

Just because I’m in the city now, that doesn’t mean I can’t make time to cook the food I *really* like. For example, I came up with a lovely lunch today:

• 2/3 cup (uncooked measure; it gets bigger in the rice cooker) brown rice, lightly salted
  • topped with a few spoons of nutritional yeast (nooch)
  • topped with some organic butter
  • steamed Brussels sprouts and sweet corn

Here is a picture of rice for your viewing pleasure (this is my picture, but it’s not from today and it doesn’t have nooch or butter on it):

jan032010003 thumb Ch ch ch changes

Tonight my brother is coming into the city (he goes to school nearby) and we are going to get dinner at some vegan/vegetarian/raw place (any combination of the 3).

What are YOUR recommendations?

14 Comments on Ch-ch-ch-changes

1. Kimberly
    26 January, 2010 at 4:12 pm (4 years ago)

Red Bamboo is popular (fake meat). Candle 79 or Candle Cafe is a bit upscale, but good good.

26 January, 2010 at 4:14 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, Kabocha is Addicting but I found an alternative addicting snack recently… steamed black corn! :D
    changes? did I miss something?

3. Jasmine (sweet and fit)
    26 January, 2010 at 5:31 pm (4 years ago)

i think its important to figure out what works for you – if yoga agrees with your body then do that, I have to admit that some of the Equinox/instensati classes seem a bit intense!

26 January, 2010 at 6:31 pm (4 years ago)

Maggie, yes, yes, yes, I so enjoyed our chat. We really need to catch up more often.

OK, so I only baked up half a squash today for lunch. Much better. I HAD to save the other half for CD’s dinner tonight, and so it kept me from going back for more. That’s my new squash strategy. Promise half to CD. Hehe. ;)

You know I love your walking and yoga plan. I shall join you. Hopefully, it will warm up soon…never got past the 30′s here today. Brrrr!!!!

Lunch sounded fabulous! Have you tried the Kerry Gold butter? I just bought some at Trader Joe’s. I hear it’s the best and all grass fed.

5. Jill
    26 January, 2010 at 7:52 pm (4 years ago)

I wanna try Nooch! I almost did today, but the crowds at our WF were crazy and this pregger chick did not feel like wrestling in to the bulk bin! :)

6. clare
    26 January, 2010 at 11:48 pm (4 years ago)

hey girl! ill be honest, i was stressing a little on the amount of exercise you were starting to do! glad you have acknowledged it for yourself. intensati sounds so great, and i wonder if all the positiveness of it hasnt led you to the realizations of what is best for YOU!?

for some yoga recommendations…id like to offer my yoga choreography pages! (http://yogiclarebear.wordpress.com/category/links-and-resources/yoga-choreography/) i also love dave farmar.

we must be on the same wavelength…i finally found a kabocha at my grocery after a long hiatus. i roasted it today chopped up with some spray oil, fresh garlic, stevia, maple extract, and salt. mmmmmm!

7. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    27 January, 2010 at 12:29 am (4 years ago)

great post and realizations and thanks for the 411 on your yoga page, awesome and i didnt realize it existed….whoops!!! :)

8. Monique
    27 January, 2010 at 11:48 am (4 years ago)

i still cant find Kabocha at my supermarket- might have to take a trip to whole foods.
    once at a Fb party I was chatting with a chick who co-wrote the flat belly diet book and she was going on and on about a vegetarian restuarant in the village that her and her hubs loved and i have swiss cheese for brains becuase i forgot…. if i remember im gonna send you the link for future nommies!

27 January, 2010 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

I didn’t even realize you had a brother…I can’t remember if I knew that or not!

Good for you!

I need to call my brother. TODAY.
    walking and chatting is the BEST!
    xoxo

10. kendall
    27 January, 2010 at 5:53 pm (4 years ago)

i will second the candle suggestion, and the good health cafe on 1st between 74/75 is a really great sort-of-hole-in-the-wall kind of place with great veg/vegan options as well as some meat choices (and pretty close to you).
    if you end up going there, check out a matter of health on 77th and first if you haven’t already; i like it better than the health nuts for some reason. (you live right in my neighborhood!)

11. caronae
    27 January, 2010 at 8:20 pm (4 years ago)

Sometimes I get tempted not to cook, because it’s so easy to run out and get something delicious at any time of day in New York! But I enjoy cooking, and I like knowing what’s in it. Have a happy Thursday!

12. Bekah
    1 February, 2010 at 7:54 pm (4 years ago)

aaagghhh I MISS kabocha already. I will definitely have to try microwaving it in my dorm room sometime soon. Seriously- I read this post last night, and it made me start craving kabocha.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Ch-ch-ch-changes