My current favorites: squash! (and more)

I have been into a few things recently:

• Squash (kabocha, butternut, and acorn)
  • Steamed broccoli and Brussels sprouts
  • Parmesan
  • Nutritional yeast (nooch!)
  • Maple syrup
  • Corn
  • Spices! – ginger and chili
  • Butter

This bowl was very good:

jan272010023 thumb My current favorites: squash! (and more)

It was a combo of steamed broccoli, corn, and acorn squash (this was before I bought kabocha). I then topped it with nooch, butter, and maple syrup. It’s awesome, I promise. This bowl (you’ve seen it before) is humongous. It was in the apartment when we moved in and I love it. Bobby thinks it might be from his mom (“it’s kind of Japanese,” he says).

Here is another yummy bowl:

jan272010021 thumb My current favorites: squash! (and more)

Okay, this one looks weird. It is white rice (another new love), butter, nooch, and possibly maple syrup (can’t remember – I’ve done it many ways).

Nooch tastes good on everything. This week for lunches I’ve been bringing frozen Brussels, corn, and peas and topping them with nooch and butter. It is so so good.

What was not so good…

jan272010020 thumb My current favorites: squash! (and more)

This is some free sample that I got from Foodbuzz. It’s some Special K bar and it was not tasty.

This weekend I’m going to try to do some work, try to chill out for once, eat some good food, and take some long walks. I’ve been feeling pensive this week (in good and bad ways). I’m also going to this intenSati workshop tomorrow (Bobby’s coming) so that should be fun. (Please come too if you’re around!)

intenSati Workshop: Let Your Voice Lead! (Saturday, January 30th, 3-5pm at Equinox on Park Avenue and 33rd St.). FREE and open to Equinox members and non-members! RSVP to Lindsay at davis.lindsay@gmail.com. (But probably ok if you just show up!)

What are your weekend plans?

13 Comments on My current favorites: squash! (and more)

1. sophia
    29 January, 2010 at 10:35 pm (4 years ago)

Oh, is that special meeting the Quaker meeting you were telling me about? anyway, I’m glad you found a good place with inspirational people.

I know you don’t like red meat…but pork isn’t red meat. Have you tried rice stirred with pork bits? So good, with soy sauce.

2. Christina
    29 January, 2010 at 10:46 pm (4 years ago)

Yum that bowl looks good! I have a butternut squash I need to cook now b/c I have a craving!

I just read a tip in my Cooking club magazine about leftover white rice. It says “When you have leftover rice, put it in a plastic container and stir in raisins, coconut, cinnamon, cloves, milk, and a few teaspoons of brown sugar. Keep it in the fridge for a tasty, portable snack.” That reminds me of yours w/ maple syrup in it. I looove rice pudding so I need to try something like that!

3. linda
    29 January, 2010 at 10:58 pm (4 years ago)

I just discovered nutritional yeast flakes today as well! I’ve been reading about it on vegan blogs and wanted to try using it in sauces and gravy. Did not expect to like it as much as I did. I’m soaking some cashew nuts this evening and will make another raw pate of sorts later with it.

30 January, 2010 at 5:13 am (4 years ago)

I think that rice combo must be delicious… butter and noch? mmmmm…. yummy~~~

5. Kristen @ Change of Pace
    30 January, 2010 at 8:39 am (4 years ago)

Will definitely have to try that salad! I wrote down the ingredients to try soon… Looks yummy :)

6. Nicole
    30 January, 2010 at 9:29 am (4 years ago)

I totally agree about the dangers of cereal…seems like some people (my husband) have a bowl and feel satisfied but once I get going I can’t stop…is it the simple carbs or the crunch factor or what?? That butter/nooch/maple combo sounds delicious-I’ll be trying it ASAP!

7. Pure2raw twins
    30 January, 2010 at 10:06 am (4 years ago)

Glad to hear you are feeling better. The squash broccoli mix looks so yummy!! I love things with maple ; )

8. Lauren @ Eater not a runner
    30 January, 2010 at 11:59 am (4 years ago)

That bowl does look delicious, hope your stomach feels better now!

30 January, 2010 at 1:46 pm (4 years ago)

Maggie,
    Right before I read this, I just finished eating a big bowl of spaghetti squash with nooch, butter, avocado, and a drizzle of tahini. Sounds totally weird I know, but then, so does most of my food. It was so good!

All your eats look great…’cept that Special K poptart thing. Sorry about that.

Glad you’re feeling better, and I hope you enjoy your weekend and that’s it’s filled with good Maggie time!!! :)

10. Marina
    30 January, 2010 at 4:23 pm (4 years ago)

Sorry about your stomach problems! On my blog today I also detail about my current health problems.. I know it’s not fun. Hang in there!

11. Kimberly
    30 January, 2010 at 5:19 pm (4 years ago)

Stomach issues are always a nuisance. Stay warm and perhaps you can make some soup to ease the discomfort. Take care – wish I live in Manhattan so I can attend the event too. But too far :(

12. caronae
    30 January, 2010 at 8:58 pm (4 years ago)

Squash and maple syrip is such a yummy combo. I need to get some maple syrup for myself!

13. ellie
    31 January, 2010 at 9:32 am (4 years ago)

I need to try nooch! Does it really taste like cheese as people say? I only discovered kabocha and acorn squash this winter and LOVED them both but now can’t find them anywhere :(