Sunday Recipe: Cornbread Casserole

While making this recipe I felt like I had transplanted myself to another era. This is a recipe of the 50’s (60’s? 40’s?). I could see my grandmother mixing these ingredients on a late fall afternoon, preparing a semi-homemade dinner for her family and waiting to hear about her husband’s and her children’s days.

I like to think that I’m going to be a good wife and mother some day. What this means exactly I’m not sure. I hope to cook good food, take care of Bobby, have a nurturing home, and in general have a healthy life. Being happy and healthy are probably my top priorities.

Coco asked today how you would rank the following: family, friendship, love, health, and career. My response was: love, family, health, friends, and then career. I consider love and family one and the same. As much as I enjoy working, I would probably be just as happy making a home (provided I could get over the guilt of not using my degrees) as I would working an exciting and demanding job. I would actually be happier as a homemaker, to be honest. What is your ranking?

One reason that I love cooking so much is that it brings up memories for me. Sometimes it brings up memories that are not even mine – I suppose I’d call them fantasies, or daydreams (like imagining my grandmother in the kitchen). So I’d like to share this inspiring recipe today, not because it’s particularly healthy or unique, but because it brought me a special happiness that I don’t always find in other parts of my life.

Maggie’s Cornbread Casserole

jan302010002 thumb Sunday Recipe: Cornbread Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 package of Jiffy cornbread mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 container of 2% Greek yogurt (mine was 7 oz. of Fage; I’m sure that any ~1-cup container of any yogurt would suffice)
  • 1 can of yellow sweet corn (drained)
  • 1 can of creamed corn

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  2. Mix all ingredients together in a baking dish. I used what I think is called a “loaf pan”. It’s about 9 inches by 4 inches and it’s maybe 3-4 inches high. It was almost full.
  3. Bake for 40-60 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean. Baking times will vary depending on what pan you use and how your oven bakes.

Enjoy with a friend or loved one. Make a memory and savor the moment.

jan302010003 thumb Sunday Recipe: Cornbread Casserole

Does cooking evoke memories for you? What other activities are particularly meaningful for you?

15 Comments on Sunday Recipe: Cornbread Casserole

1. Kim
    1 February, 2010 at 12:43 am (4 years ago)

That looks delicious! Cooking definitely brings me certain memories. Quiche makes me think of my dad, for example. Lasagna makes me think of my mom. Cookies make me think of childhood bliss.

Honestly, I think I’d be really happy making a home too! For my husband and I to have financial security (I have extreme “needs” in this area), we both have to work, but I think I’d be happiest being a housewife. There, I said it. As for my rankings, I’d say: love (husband), health, family, friendship, career :)

2. Christina
    1 February, 2010 at 1:23 am (4 years ago)

I totally understand what you mean, Maggie! I specifically seek out cookbooks from earlier times like the 50s and also little church cookbooks. I think the recipes, even though they’re so simple and nothing really special, just create that feeling of home and love and warmth. I love thinking that they were some housewife’s go-to meal for a Thursday night, or some husband’s favorite side dish.

I would rank the exact same as you: love, family, health, friendship, career. Honestly, that’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately since being w/o work. I realize that work or a career doesn’t make a person and I like just being me and at home in my life. It feels a little empty now but in the future I’d love it to be filled w/ children. I don’t want to be a bon-bon eating stay at home mom, I’d still like to *do* something, but I’m thinking more and more the thought of just being a mom is so appealing.

3. Jill
    1 February, 2010 at 2:09 am (4 years ago)

Cooking always makes me feel like I’m channeling my mom and grandma. Going for a walk after dinner and before dessert is something that I enjoy–especially in the summer when it is light out!

1 February, 2010 at 6:37 am (4 years ago)

I used to think that I’d put career as first or second place… that I would never give up my career for anyone, but now my inner voice tells me that I would give it up when my family needs it. I even thought about quieting this program if I get pregnant. I don’t know what happened to me exactly, maybe the age, maybe being/living alone for almost four years? it made me value more family love, yes, as you do, they’re the same for me now ;)
    food revoke memories, a lot… specially in china, every festival has a unique dish~~~ I need to do some research and try to keep up with that… it’s fun! :)

5. Kristen
    1 February, 2010 at 8:33 am (4 years ago)

Very interesting thoughts about being a homemaker! I am loving being home right now as I look for a job (with those degrees you and I have earned!). I feel like I’ll want badly to use my education outside the home, but it has to be in the right setting where it is really enjoyable.

Without our health it’s difficult to contribute to any of the others. That is something to be grateful for today!!

6. Monique
    1 February, 2010 at 12:52 pm (4 years ago)

that looks like straight up comfort food!

Whenever I make My grandmothers baked ziti recipe I am reminded of her singing in the kitchen and the smell of ivorry soap… shes old school and still uses bar soap to wash her dishes.

1 February, 2010 at 4:44 pm (4 years ago)

oh some corn bread casserole would be PERFECT right about now!

I love to cook and bake. I love my family. what else is there? (some time to knit)

you’re a sweetie!
    xo

2 February, 2010 at 9:49 am (4 years ago)

Loved this post Maggie. Making cookies always makes me think of baking with mom. That was one thing we always did together. :)

Being a homemaker is a lot of work, and if it’s something you think you would truly love, do not feel guilty about not using your degrees. You chose them for a reason…and everything happens for a reason. Even though I don’t use my history degree, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had chosen a different course of study. Do what makes you happy now. :)

9. caronae
    2 February, 2010 at 10:45 am (4 years ago)

I love when cooking and baking evoke memories! Probably my favorite is making gingerbread men on snow days with my mom and sister as a kid…

10. ellie
    2 February, 2010 at 11:41 am (4 years ago)

I grew up eating cornbread casserole with my family every Christmas! SOOOOO good. We stopped eating it a few years ago (the mix isn’t kosher/vegetarian) but this year I made one that was kosher. So good and brought back so many happy memories :)

11. Michelle
    2 February, 2010 at 5:14 pm (4 years ago)

And AAAAMEN for the recipe! Boy does the casserole look amazing!!!! Jiffy cornbread mix is my saviour, but somehow i never get it to come out HALF as moist as i want it to be!! How come your casserole looks so ridiculously moist??? Yum!!!

12. Light Delight with TouTou
    3 February, 2010 at 1:02 pm (4 years ago)

I like your new design!! that is my favorite type of flower , and it looks so fresh and pretty!!

I am a big fan of corn bread – and I used to be addicted to that Jiff Corn bread mix :-P. Like your version of adding real corns, it will definitely maximize my satisfaction with corn related bread! haha :-D

13. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    14 September, 2010 at 12:14 pm (4 years ago)

Maggie,
    That looks delicious – love the whole kernels in the bread. I want to smother a big piece in crunchy PB right now! :)

• Maggie
      14 September, 2010 at 12:17 pm (4 years ago)

@Heather: Or with BUTTER!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Sunday Recipe: Cornbread Casserole