Link Love: Fix Cold Hands; Drink at the Right Times

I’ve been keeping a list of articles or links that I want to post about, but I keep forgetting. Here they are now:

To Drink Or Not To Drink?

bottled water 400x493 Link Love: Fix Cold Hands; Drink at the Right Times

Source.

This article talks about how it’s important to drink a lot of water… except just before and after eating. So many people forget to do the simple things that make digestion easier. The lesson? Don’t drink 20 minutes before or after a meal. It’s that simple.

My next link – I have had cold hands and feet since I was in high school. I googled some remedies, and found this page:

Warmer Hands Naturally! Ten Easy Free Tips Help Cold Hands

drawing hands 400x339 Link Love: Fix Cold Hands; Drink at the Right Times

Source.

The gist? It gave some physical things you can do that don’t really solve the problem (keeping covered, exercise, don’t smoke), but it also gave some other interesting insights:

• The wrong kind of calcium supplement can be bad for circulation
  • Margarine is bad as well (duh)
  • And some supplements can help (ginger, fennel, cayenne, potassium, niacin, iron, B C E vitamins, lecithin, Ginkgo Biloba, ACV, etc…)
  • They note that eating meat could help as well.
  • Then there are “warming teas” like sarsparilla root and fenugreek (neither of which I have tried, and I am a tea fiend, so I must!).

Another thing the article said that I thought was very important was that you *must* must must wait 30 days for a dietary change to have an effect on your health. You can’t just go around changing your eating habits willy-nilly and expect something to result in a week. It just won’t happen, especially if you are tackling an issue that has been around for a while.

More tips:

• Be aware of anxiety and other fear issues and deal with them.
  • Try to breathe better (more deeply).
  • And try to stop stressing.

I will definitely try the tips.

This morning I walked to work. For the last week I was kind of in non-exercise mode (no reason really, aside from the fact that New York was rainy and gross and I didn’t feel like doing anything) but today’s glorious sunshine got me energized and happy. So I did 2 miles in the morning light while chatting with my dad.

The day was busy and eventful, and my lunch was a lovely break – a macrobiotic meal of random steamed veggies and roots with my favorite: miso-tahini dressing. This meal does not get boring to me because I am constantly changing the veggies. I have a nice rotation going on – spinach, broccoli, burdock, sweet potato (purple), kabocha, carrots, daikon, and probably some others I am forgetting.

I also made a delicious bean concoction earlier this week and I’ve been having it often – it makes an appearance at breakfast and either lunch or dinner most days. Recipe to come.

Since I’m still at work I don’t know what dinner will be, and I don’t know what else I will do tonight. Perhaps a leisurely stroll home (probably not – I don’t like lugging the computer more than I have to) or a yummy dessert.

I’m off to have some water and wait at least 20 minutes before I eat. What do you do on the weekday nights?

14 Comments on Link Love: Fix Cold Hands; Drink at the Right Times

1. Hallie
    16 March, 2010 at 7:28 pm (4 years ago)

I think the “eating meat” part of that cold hands thing is that cold hands and feet can be a sign of anemia. I’m trying to beef up (har har) the amount of iron-rich foods and I’m hoping it helps my constantly cold hands/feet.

Enjoy your night! I read blogs, do freelance work, walk my dog, and cook and eat dinner on weekday nights…I used to watch tv with the BF but now he works or is at school late almost every night, boo.

2. Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES
    16 March, 2010 at 7:29 pm (4 years ago)

i cant help drinking before and during my meals–but ive always heard it was bad.

3. Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES
    16 March, 2010 at 7:30 pm (4 years ago)

woops–wasn’t done.

i wonder what the experts who mandate water with meals for appetite suppression say to all of this. i think it makes complete sense that, for proper digestion, you need to do one thing (aka just food) at a time

4. Kim
    16 March, 2010 at 8:52 pm (4 years ago)

Interesting about the water! I always drink water during meals. I guess that’s bad!

As for weekday nights, I actually love our little routine. Come home from work, do a little stretching while watching HGTV (though not this week…boo!). I make dinner. We watch a Netflix movie or shows on DVR. Read in bed until I fall asleep. BLISS!

Love your new blog, by the way!

5. sophia
    16 March, 2010 at 10:49 pm (4 years ago)

That’s what my parents always told me. They NEVER let me drink during meals. But I know during my ED days, I would drink TONS of water before, during, and after meals (or diet soda) to fill myself up. It totally threw off my digestive system. Not fun.

I saw your new blog ! Loved it! Will I be seeing a video of you eating cake now? Hee hee.

6. Christina
    16 March, 2010 at 11:54 pm (4 years ago)

Hmm that’s very interesting about the drinking thing! Out of habit I rarely drink before or w/ dinner, but usually after. I loathe milk, but I was a really tiny child w/ acid reflux and threw up a lot so I was even tinier. The doctor really wanted me to consume whole milk to help w/ my body weight. My parents would pour a half glass of whole milk w/ every dinner for me and I couldn’t get up until I finished it. So – being the stubborn child that I was, I would just not drink it. I’d eat my whole meal w/o a drink and then sit and it’d be the battle of the wills – my mom scrubbing the dishes and me still sitting at a cleared table w/ my half glass of milk. Luckily I won a few times! Hehe but to this day I am still in the habit of not needing to drink during a meal. Even in restaurants, I usually forget about it and then gulp some at the end as we leave so I don’t leave a full glass!!

7. Dukka Girl
    17 March, 2010 at 6:13 am (4 years ago)

The cold hands/cold feet article is great, thanks. It’s a problem I’ve always had, and my dad (who’s a doctor) said there’s not much I can do about it. The only thing that helps me is vigorous exercise. I do find covering my neck helps a bit, but I like my neck! I have been eating a lot more ginger recently, and either that’s helping or it’s just that the winter’s at an end…
    I definitely feel the effect of drinking when eating, my digestion is just goes all wrong. I only do this when I’m eating out when there’s water on the table, and I used to think it was something in restaurant food that upset my stomach, but there you go. I keep a litre bottle on my desk at work which I fill twice, and I also drink a couple of cups of tea, herbal tea and coffee throughout the day. I started drinking this much to help my chronic constipation and I find if I don’t, I get bunged up again. But I think the 2 litre thing isn’t necessary for everyone, and some people may need a lot more. It’s all about finding what works for you.
    By the way, I’m really excited about the new blog! The whole approach is bang on and women everywhere need to hear it! I hope you get a lot of readers:)

8. Amanda
    17 March, 2010 at 10:21 am (4 years ago)

I hate that there is so much conflicting information out there about what is healthy or not healthy… here is a post from an MD saying the complete opposite about not drinking water before/after meals.

The same thing happens when you try to get any ‘real’ answers about soy, dairy, vitamins… sometimes there is just not enough science to back either opinion so I guess it’s a matter of trial and error to see what feels right for you.

17 March, 2010 at 11:21 am (4 years ago)

My weekday nights always end with cuddle time on the couch with CD and pups. :)

Thanks for the articles Maggie. I never drink liquids with my meals and always try to wait a bit after eating before chugging. I”m trying to drink more water lately, and this post was a good reminder.

I never tire of your miso-tahini covered veggies either. :)

10. vera
    17 March, 2010 at 5:15 pm (4 years ago)

I heard it was 30 minutes before a meal, and 2 hours after!
    hmm quite interesting.
    I have cold hands all the time as well. Its mostly just annoying.

xox Vera

11. Marina
    17 March, 2010 at 8:10 pm (4 years ago)

I almost always stay in weekday nights. I surf the web, do my blog, watch TV, mess with Peanut… the usual! :)

12. Lele
    17 March, 2010 at 8:18 pm (4 years ago)

So excited to try some of these tips for my REPTILE HANDS!