I’m Not Perfect and it’s Okay (Great, Actually)

This morning I grabbed a quick and random breakfast. It was a waffle from this weekend (my dad’s waffles) and leftover cabbage with mustard from the corned beef I made last night. Both were taken right from the fridge and eating at room temperature. I smeared some almond butter on the waffle. I ate this at my desk.

I think it’s okay to admit that I eat weird, mis-matched meals like that. Because I’m a food blogger you might think that I am always eating the perfect bowl of oatmeal or perfectly plated dishes with lots of healthy things like wild fish and organic vegetables. But I’m not. I like to eat whatever I have on hand and I eat something because I enjoy it… not because it’s what I “should” be eating.

DSC 00351 Im Not Perfect and its Okay (Great, Actually)

So lunch was a medley of things I had in my fridge. I steamed up some watercress, daikon, and burdock. I topped it with chopped corned beef, mustard, and whipped cream cheese. And it was great. I ate it out of a tupperware, cold. I might have had something else with this as well, but I don’t remember. I know I had an apple later on in the afternoon.

After work I wandered down to the West Village to look at an (ugly) couch. I met up with Kate and we tried to shop for vintage dresses. It didn’t work out. I got slightly depressed when I tried on some dresses (not vintage ones) and realized how my body has changed recently.

Went to Whole Foods for some maca chocolate, then headed home. I had more leftovers from the corned beef meal and I also had kabocha with whipped cream cheese.

Sometimes my eats go in phases for no reason other than I need/want to use something up. I don’t really want to use up my whipped cream cheese, but now that I have started eating it I can’t really stop because it’s so good. I’m eating the corned beef because it’s good, but also because I don’t want it to go bad. I’m eating all my random veggies because I buy huge quantities of them in Chinatown for cheap and I just like veggies. So there.

I’m trying to figure out what dessert will be (aside from the square of chocolate I munched while thinking of what to write about tonight). I would go out and get ice cream again, but it is gross outside. So I may have a non-traditional dessert of baby carrots and blue cheese (my snack from earlier).

Do you eat weird things? Or weird combinations?

17 Comments on I’m Not Perfect and it’s Okay (Great, Actually)

1. clare
    22 March, 2010 at 11:10 pm (4 years ago)

yes. but what is weird? i mean…who says you are weird and someone else isn’t? whats the “standard?”

2. Maeve
    22 March, 2010 at 11:28 pm (4 years ago)

As a kid my favorite ice cream combination was orange sherbet and peanutbutter twirl on a pretzel cone. I got a lot of flack for it but I ate it anyway because I liked it and it didn’t matter what others thought because I was the one eating it. I still get it when I can, but orange sherbet is less common now that sorbets are all the rage, and pretzel cones are also hard to find.

3. Christina
    23 March, 2010 at 12:13 am (4 years ago)

I eat weird things too, that’s ok! I also do it to use up stuff like you do. I hate wasting food so if I have a little of this and a little of that I make a mixture of odd things to use up. I also do weird things for marinades and in place of salad dressings since I get bored of those. I guess it’s what suites your taste and you’re the one eating it and that has to like it – so who cares?

I like the new tweaking of the site! :)

4. Kristina
    23 March, 2010 at 12:49 am (4 years ago)

I’ve become a big fan of leftover-randomness. There are times, also, when it turns out to be one of the best meals ever! Tonight, maybe not the best meal ever, but we made fried rice with all of these random things that we had in our fridge, and it was great.

5. sophia
    23 March, 2010 at 2:12 am (4 years ago)

Weird things? Weird combinations? Me? Nah….;-)
    I like your title, by the way :-)
    how has your body changed? I’m sure nobody even noticed.

6. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear
    23 March, 2010 at 3:03 am (4 years ago)

Hehe. Just last week I was laughing at my weird combination of food; dark bread and herring on mustard sauce + veggie spring rolls :D

7. April
    23 March, 2010 at 8:40 am (4 years ago)

Weird is good :)

8. Pure2Raw Twins
    23 March, 2010 at 9:24 am (4 years ago)

I must admit I do eat some weird combinations, but sometimes they are the best :)

9. fitforfree
    23 March, 2010 at 9:42 am (4 years ago)

I eat stuff that other people make fun of all the time — and it’s no fun. Case in point: for lunch last week I tossed a package of frozen spinach in a tupperware and packed 2 slices of whole-wheat bread in a plastic bag. When I got to work, I added a 1-oz package of mixed nuts, salt, pepper, and olive oil to the spinach, microwaved it, and ate it on the toast. It was SO delicious, but a good friend gave me a hard time about my weird food mixes. OWN IT!

10. Tiffany
    23 March, 2010 at 10:24 am (4 years ago)

no worries on the mismatched foods, sometimes they make the best meals. case in point, i put mashed potatoes on my salad last night for dinner and it was so yummy. i also just eat what i need to use up and just throw it all together in a salad. sorry you didn’t have much luck with the vintage dress shopping, but please try not to get depressed about changes in your body. you’re beautiful, girl, however your body is. :)

11. Katie
    23 March, 2010 at 10:59 am (4 years ago)

I’m a “user-upper,” too. I eat lots of leftovers and throw together bits and pieces of things that are left in the fridge. I hosted a baby shower on Sunday and ended up with tons of leftover buffalo chicken dip. I could be dangerous if I attacked that stuff with pita chips. Instead, I’ve been eating it on a salad. So yummy!

12. Kim
    23 March, 2010 at 12:45 pm (4 years ago)

I love that you’re not “perfect” :) That’s perfect to me! I mean, in the real world, I would think most of us eat what’s on hand. I eat strange combinations of things when I’m trying to use up leftovers. I hate throwing away food! Sometimes, my meals are a mixture of snacks. There really is no “perfect.”

Love the look of the blog :)

13. Melissa
    23 March, 2010 at 1:30 pm (4 years ago)

Hmmmmm do I eat weird things? I’m sure I do haha I have the oddest eating habits, in general, though. I’m recently really into plain canned tuna with grainy mustard, wrapped in lettuce leaves. It’s delicious and very healthy :)

14. Katie
    23 March, 2010 at 1:38 pm (4 years ago)

Pretty sure you know this, but I eat LOTS of “weird” things and “weird” combos :-) But to me, they’re not weird….they are what my tastebuds like. When I was in 6th grade, my teacher taught me a word that has stuck with me all these years: Ethnocentric. She said it was basically judging others’ beliefs, traditions, actions, etc as “weird” or “dumb” because you think that your way and your culture’s way is the ONLY way. I try to apply this to all areas of my life, food included. I really try not to label things as “weird” or “gross.” They can seem gross to ME, but I won’t make the blanket statement that the combo/food is Gross-period. I actually get kinda mad when friends and/or family judge my food…..simple little things like Seitan seemed “weird” to my dad before he tried it. And LOVED it. Next stop: spinach in smoothies :-)

I’m sorry you had a “moment” when you tried on the dress. It’s never fun when you think (and EXPECT) something to fit one way and it totally doesn’t fit that way…..I am sure you found some GORGEOUS clothes to try on that you also felt 100% comfy in :-)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on I’m Not Perfect and it’s Okay (Great, Actually)