The Best Friends In Life Are Free!

Thanks for all the comments on my last post re: weight. Sounds like a lot of us wouldn’t mind losing a few pounds, and it can definitely be a struggle. It’s nice to have company.

Having a community and a base of friends to support you is really important. I was reading Coco’s post a few minutes ago and she talked about how her best friends are the ones from her childhood. I think this is true for me too. As I get older it seems like friendships get more and more superficial. I was in California for almost 2 years and I didn’t make a single lasting friendship. In college I did make friends, but we’ve all drifted.

Healthy Living Update

Thursday (yesterday).

Walks… I got in my 2-mile walk to work, and actually got in an extra ~1 mile at lunch. We met up with Bobby’s parents for lunch at Whole Foods in Union Square. Last night we got together with his family again (cousins too) up by Columbia. Greek food is good.

Friday (today).

No walk this morning, but I got ~1 mile at lunch and then maybe 2 after work (Chinatown).

I met up with Bobby and his family for lunch again – this time at Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay’s restaurant. This was the best meal I’ve had in a really long time. I opted for the “Smoked Lamb Cobb Salad” (with Avocado, Tomato, Maytag Blue Cheese, Eggs, Bacon + Buttermilk Dressing)…

05 17 mesagrill The Best Friends In Life Are Free!

I make my own rules.

Source.

I substituted shrimp instead of lamb and nixed the blue cheese. It was awesome. The egg and avocado really made this dish. The shrimp seasonings were to die for. Bobby got a “Pressed Roasted Pork Sandwich”, Tina got the “Shrimp + Roasted Garlic Corn Tamale” (I think this was the best order), mom got “Smoked Shrimp Tacos” (a Bobby Flay classic), and dad got another classic, the “Mesa Burger”. We all shared the deliciously spiced fries.

Before the meal they brought out the bread basket – I tried the cornbread, which was half blue and half yellow.

Caesars MesaGrill bread cornbread The Best Friends In Life Are Free!

Nom nom nom.

Source.

Do you like cornbread?

15 Comments on The Best Friends In Life Are Free!

1. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    3 April, 2010 at 2:00 am (4 years ago)

Maggie Walks – Oh, I love it! :)

OK, so I’m totally intrigued by the double colored cornbread. They should make double colored tortilla chips. Oh, the fun I’d have with those. Your cobb sounded delish, and I loved your moderations. Avocado is always my favorite part. OK, that’s a lie. I freaking love blue cheese!!!

Have a good weekend Maggie. Oh, and I don’t really watch much TV, but when I do, the first channel I always check is E, and it’s usually showing crap. :)

2. Betherann
    3 April, 2010 at 9:53 am (4 years ago)

Oooh that cornbread looks tasty.

Regarding TV, the husband and I are almost finished watching season 4 of Heroes. Season 1 was awesome…and 2-4 spiraled downhill. I’m not sure why we’re still watching. Well, that’s not true — we’re still watching because I want to see what happens. The hubby couldn’t care less about it, and only watches because he cares about me. Does that make me a bad wife? :/

I love picturing you walking around NYC. That’s my favorite thing to do when I’m back east — just walk the city. It makes me feel strong/cool/anonymous/bold/safely anonymous. A strange combo to be sure, but I like it.

3. Betherann
    3 April, 2010 at 9:54 am (4 years ago)

Oops, I wrote anonymous twice. Oh well. So much for good writing. ;)

4. Jessie
    3 April, 2010 at 11:00 am (4 years ago)

I love the new layout, and the new blog name! I guess I’ll have to update my blogroll. :)

I think that childhood friends make the best friends, too. I think that has something to do with the transient nature of my life right now – we haven’t stayed in one place long enough to make really good friends. I can always count on my high-school friends for a good laugh, though, even though I haven’t seen them in person for a while. I guess it’s because they knew me when I was young and awkward and more carefree? :)

Have a great weekend!

3 April, 2010 at 11:03 am (4 years ago)

that picture of you and Kate is so cute, really, you both look so happy!!! Great to be reunted! I wish I could live in the same city as my BFF. :)

6. Katherine
    3 April, 2010 at 12:13 pm (4 years ago)

That kindof makes me want to make a bread that is multi colored! I’ve lost my friends due to illness (anxiety and eating disorders) and am really sad about it. I’m seeking a lot of encouragement and clairty through blogging.
    Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold
    A circle is round, it has no end, that’s how long I want to be your friend

7. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear
    3 April, 2010 at 12:55 pm (4 years ago)

That sounds so good :D

Sure, I watch crappy TV! not so much as previously anymore but sometimes you can catch me wathing The Hills or The City or other reality shows which never make any sense to me but are sometimes so much fun to watch, for example the Room Raiders :D :D

One of my dearest friends is a friend whom I’ve known since we were 9 years old! so we’ve known each other for 18 years!OMG, I feel so old :D

8. Alisa
    3 April, 2010 at 3:24 pm (4 years ago)

I hope you got that late day walk in! I love walking and get so mad at myself when I realize the whole day has passed and I haven’t even gone outside!

I would watch crappy TV if we had TV – I confess. My husband is even worse – hence why he got rid of our TV’s about 6 years ago. Best. Move. Ever. Last year we finally bought a physical TV (no reception though) to make a movie room and exercise room (DVD workouts) – so my husband still seems to pick crappy movies sometimes :)

9. Sagan
    3 April, 2010 at 10:35 pm (4 years ago)

My best friend is my sister, so… yeah, I’d say that sometimes it’s the ones from childhood that are the best ones!

That’s so cool that the bread is yellow and blue! Tasty.

One of my favourite parts about being almost done university is that I won’t have to worry about studying in the evenings- I’ll be able to devote MUCH more time to all the books that I want to read. Yay!

10. Jill
    4 April, 2010 at 12:30 pm (4 years ago)

I hate crappy T.V. It will suck your brain out!

I guess it depends on what you think is crappy..hmmmm

I hate T.V. :)

My best friends are the ones I have had the longest too. I always remind myself–make new ones–but keep the old too. :)

11. Melissa
    4 April, 2010 at 7:17 pm (4 years ago)

I’m not so sure if I watch crappy tv anymore haha I stick to a few shows religiously, but that’s about it. I don’t have much time with work these days, and I spend my free time reading :)

Speaking of which, you won my giveaway, so check your email ASAP…and happy Easter!

12. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    5 April, 2010 at 6:15 am (4 years ago)

So glad that this new name, new layout and everything has given you a fresh start and a spring in your step re blogging!

Loved your stategy to read blogs on a sat/sun afternoon and not stress over the week. And yes, as a blogger you know how time consuming it is and why ppl feel the need to chime in with their random .02

tv, i watch less than 1 hr a week and it’s all on dvr, and indeed it’s bravo housewives and the like!

13. Kate
    7 April, 2010 at 3:55 am (4 years ago)

hooray!! we are the best ever. ever.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Best Friends In Life Are Free!