Moving to Midlake Music

I was supposed to go see one of my favorite bands tonight down at Bowery Ballroom. The band is called Midlake. Midlake is an Indie rock band of classical jazz musicians. I don’t really know how to describe their sound aside from the fact that it’s orchestral and epic. Especially their most recent CD, The Courage of Others. I have never seen them in concert.

This is one of my favorite songs (“Roscoe”):

It’s so relaxing.

Unfotunately this afternoon I got a little feverish and dizzy so I opted to stay home. Bobby went anyway and my brother is going. I asked for a phone call during one of the good songs. I’m enjoying myself on the couch reading one of my books (Before Green Gables).

Exercise today was something new. This morning (before I got sick) I did a video on Netflix called Dance Off the Inches: Calorie Blasting Party. It’s 45 minutes and it’s a nice little cardio routine. I’ve done it before but I haven’t in a few months. I also walked 2 miles. This is less exercise than I used to do, but way more than I have been doing lately. I really like exercise at times; other times I just want to be a lump. Maybe it depends on the season? Winters are depressing for me so I become more sedentary… then as it gets nicer out I just want to move all day long.

Does your mood change with the season? What about your exercise routine? or…

What’s your favorite band? (Mine is Guster. I went on a cruise with them last year.)

13 Comments on Moving to Midlake Music

1. Nicky
    8 April, 2010 at 12:23 am (5 years ago)

I feel the same way about exercise! I totally change with the weather. Also, Guster’s my favorite band too (seen them 9 times and met them at EarthFest!) but I’m suuuuuper jealous you got to go on the cruise! ;)

2. Kim
    8 April, 2010 at 12:38 am (5 years ago)

Hope you feel better soon!

I definitely have exercise phases. Now that I listen to my body better now, I realize that sometimes I want to be more active than others. In general, I’m not a big cardio person, but I do have days with bursts of energy.

My favorite band? Hmmm… I’m a classic rock girl so most of my favorite bands have broken up or bitten the dust. Ha. I’ll have to think about this one…

3. Jill
    8 April, 2010 at 12:50 am (5 years ago)

I love Belle and Sebastian.

My exercise goes in peaks and valleys fo’ sho’!

4. Marina
    8 April, 2010 at 1:29 am (5 years ago)

My favorite season is probably fall. That’s really the only “decent” weather we get here in NYC. We do get some nice spring days though… the winter and summers though can be rough!

I listen to all kinds of music, but I love classical.

5. caronae
    8 April, 2010 at 2:16 am (5 years ago)

Are any of the other zevia flavors good or are they all like the lemon-lime?

Sorry you couldn’t go; that stinks! I hope you feel better soon! I am not huge music person actually, I like listening to good hip-hop and rock and some modern indie ish stuff. Oh and the avocado dish from the last post sounds great! I might need to try it tomorrow. And I like being outside more in the summer, but I tend to get really gross and sweaty, so I only like it to a certain extent.

6. Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15)
    8 April, 2010 at 3:51 am (5 years ago)

I love fall! My motivation is at its highest, and I love fall produce.

I exercise about 4 times a week, lifting weights. Not much in way of cardio though. I jog to the gym and back to my apartment, which makes each workout have a 1/2 mile jog. But I walk around my campus all day long. So different from last year, when I blasted away at spin, bodysculpting, and cardio almost every day. Good different, I think!

So sorry you’re feeling under the weather! Get well soon!

7. Ali
    8 April, 2010 at 4:25 am (5 years ago)

Hi Maggie! Found this blog via your other one and love the title. For years I was a compulsive exerciser and would do nutty stuff like run during snowstorms and do power yoga with a back injury. Since having gotten over that in the last couple years I definitely see a change in my motivation levels depending on the weather/season. I am trying to come up with an amenable indoor routine for myself (hate gyms and no longer can commit to 90 minute yoga classes on a regular basis) for bad weather times.
    My favorite band is Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (right this moment anyway, might be different tomorrow!)

8. Christina (Dinner at Christina's)
    8 April, 2010 at 4:59 am (5 years ago)

I’m the same way w/ the seasons. I have noticed (in the past 2 weeks especially) a huge uplift in my spirits. I feel more alert, happier, and more alive. I also want to be up and outside a lot more. My days used to be quite sedentary b/c all the snow non-stop outside made it difficult to even go get the mail, much less want to be out there or exercise. Now that it’s beautiful I find myself up and out there, walking, riding my bike, even just sitting out there reading feels a lot more healthy. The sunshine and air is what I needed! :)

9. Betherann
    8 April, 2010 at 9:20 am (5 years ago)

My mood (and activity level) is COMPLETELY affected by the season. My lowest time is November, which also “happens” to be when it’s darkest. Living in Montana doesn’t help, I’m sure. But nature makes it up to us crazy folk by deliver an AWESOME spring (followed by a not-too-smokey summer, if we’re lucky) during which you cannot keep me indoors. However, this is the first summer in a long while that I will not be motivated by ED’s overexercise encouragement, so we’ll see if that changes.

10. Sagan
    8 April, 2010 at 1:38 pm (5 years ago)

Great song, thanks for sharing it!

I definitely don’t have ONE favourite band, but a few of my favourites (right now, anyways) are Editors, Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, Dead Man’s Bones, and Hey Rosetta. All of the indie genre, of course ;)

Hope you’re feeling better.

11. matt
    8 April, 2010 at 3:39 pm (5 years ago)

hey maggie — just came across your blog on a google search. feel better soon!! i was actually at the midlake show last night (my second time seeing them) — and you definitely missed a great show. they played most of the courage of others and a few highlights from van occupanther but nothing older than that. the version they did of roscoe was really cool :)

anyway, just showing some love. again, feel better soon and be sure to see midlake the next time around!!

-matt

8 April, 2010 at 5:16 pm (5 years ago)

awwwwwwwwwwww sorry you got sick and missed your concert Maggie! boo.

I don’t have favorite music these days. I got stuck in 90’s music and never left. been a while since I heard new things I liked other than to run with.

wierd.

and I am totally a seasons girl. most of what I do is driven by the weather. and some days I am a lump too. I figure rest is just as important as RUNNING.

good for you!

13. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    11 April, 2010 at 4:33 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    I often feel like a total lump during the cold dreary months of winter, but come spring, I just want to be active outside all day. I love the warm sunshine!

Favorite musician is Patty Griffin. :)