Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

I saw a recipe for a vegan surf & turf the other day and knew I had to make my own version – here’s my take!

Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

16 portobello kale 450x298 Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

Ingredients (serves 1 hungry Maggie)

• 2 portobello caps
  • bragg’s liquid aminos
  • a little more than 1 bunch of kale
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • dash of sea salt
  • 5-10 spritzes of bragg’s liquid aminos
  • 1 teaspoon honey/sweetener
  • liberal spoonfuls of nooch! (nutritional yeast)

4 portobello mushroom salad 450x298 Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

Method

1. Slice the portobellos into strips. Spray with bragg’s. Grill (I used a George Foreman) until tender (10 minutes).
  2. Massage the kale with the avocado, lemon juice, salt, and more bragg’s. I also like to add honey at this point. Massage for maybe 1-2 minutes.
  3. Top the kale with the portobellos and lots of nooch.
  4. EAT. Repeat.

15 portobello kale 450x298 Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

I have made this for both dinner and lunch. It’s quite filling though I usually like to have something else with it. It holds up well in a tupperware and it can definitely last in the fridge overnight. It’s amazing fresh, of course.

5 portobello mushroom kale 450x298 Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

Even better – it’s┬ápacked with powerhouse nutrients (kale, nooch, avocado). The portobellos taste almost meaty when grilled. Portobellos are definitely a favorite for me. I should try making the non-veg version too, but I’m not that experienced at non-veg cooking.

Hope you get to try this! I’ll leave you with this cat cutie:

17 cous 450x298 Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

What’s your favorite veggie?

10 Comments on Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad

1. Kim
    12 May, 2010 at 7:40 pm (4 years ago)

Looks yummy. I love portabellos. I have to admit that you lost me at liquid aminos though, and I’m still wary of nutritional yeast (as in, what is it, exactly?). I’m a little slow on incorporating things like this, as you can see. I only learned to cook spinach a year ago. Seriously.
    As for favorite vegetables, I would definitely say spinach and mushrooms. I’m not a huge fan of vegetables in raw form, but I have done a good job of putting them on pizzas, in pastas, with omelets, etc over the last year or two. I adore avocados, and I’m still unclear as to what food group these are in. I’ve heard nuts, veggies, and fruits. I sound really dumb in this comment, huh?

2. Abby
    12 May, 2010 at 9:22 pm (4 years ago)

Considering I love mushrooms, nooch, avocados and greens of any kind, this looks absolutely delicious! I’ve never done the amino or massaging the salad thing, but add in the other half of the avocado, asparagus, broccoli and spinach and you have my favorite veggies in a salad.

Actually, there’s not many veggies I don’t like…

3. Christina (Dinner at Christina's)
    12 May, 2010 at 10:23 pm (4 years ago)

I saw big bunches of kale in the grocery store earlier tonight and thought of you!

Hmm my favorite vegetable?? I’m not sure I can pick! I love fresh corn on the cob, although I think that technically is a grain? Except raw tomatoes and mushrooms I really cannot think of a vegetable that I don’t love! I eat any and all – raw, cooked in any fashion, canned, frozen, whatever!

4. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear
    13 May, 2010 at 7:16 am (4 years ago)

Favourite veggies, that’s a tough one.. mm.. maybe cucumber, lettuce and carrots? or asparagus or… cabbage? I can’t choose! :D

5. clare
    13 May, 2010 at 10:48 pm (4 years ago)

that looks wonderful maggie, thank you for posting this! it is finally supposed to be NOT freezing this weekend…maybe we’ll get grilling soon! we’ve been weather sissies this year so far. ;)

my favorite veggie, oh gosh i couldnt pick one…is garlic a veggie? hehe! i love zucchini, and kabocha and pumpkin, and a meaty tomato.

6. Rande McDaniel
    11 March, 2011 at 3:34 am (4 years ago)

ooooh, this is definitely a MUST try!

7. Kate
    22 March, 2011 at 5:02 pm (4 years ago)

This recipe looks absolutely delicious! Will have to give it a try this week.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Recipe: Grilled Portobello Kale Salad