I saw a recipe for a vegan surf & turf the other day and knew I had to make my own version – here’s my take!
Grilled Portobello Kale Salad
Ingredients (serves 1 hungry Maggie)
- 2 portobello caps
- bragg’s liquid aminos
- a little more than 1 bunch of kale
- 1/2 avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- dash of sea salt
- 5-10 spritzes of bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon honey/sweetener
- liberal spoonfuls of nooch! (nutritional yeast)
- Slice the portobellos into strips. Spray with bragg’s. Grill (I used a George Foreman) until tender (10 minutes).
- Massage the kale with the avocado, lemon juice, salt, and more bragg’s. I also like to add honey at this point. Massage for maybe 1-2 minutes.
- Top the kale with the portobellos and lots of nooch.
- EAT. Repeat.
I have made this for both dinner and lunch. It’s quite filling though I usually like to have something else with it. It holds up well in a tupperware and it can definitely last in the fridge overnight. It’s amazing fresh, of course.
Even better – it’s packed with powerhouse nutrients (kale, nooch, avocado). The portobellos taste almost meaty when grilled. Portobellos are definitely a favorite for me. I should try making the non-veg version too, but I’m not that experienced at non-veg cooking.
Hope you get to try this! I’ll leave you with this cat cutie:
What’s your favorite veggie?