Here are two healthy salads I made recently. This first one is mostly cold/raw – the only cooked ingredient is an egg.
Ingredients – healthy salad #1
- base: chopped romaine lettuce
- fatty topping: avocado
- veggie topping: tomato, cucumber
- fun topping: takuan (yellow pickled daikon – Japanese)
- protein topping: scrambled egg (with oil)
- dressing: chipotle ranch (I think)
I cooked the egg in peanut oil, which is probably my newest cooking obsession. It’s fabulous.
This next salad is another hot-cold salad and it did not disappoint. (This was actually one of the best salads I’ve ever made, believe it or not!)
Ingredients – healthy salad #2
- base: romaine lettuce
- cooked veggie toppings: cabbage, brussels sprouts, green beans
- protein toppings (with cooked veggies): imitation crab meat
- dressing: peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, splash of water
Again, I used peanut oil for the veggies. About 1 tablespoon of it. If you use enough oil your veggies get nice and crispy. I also added a splash of soy sauce to the veggies at the end when they were just about done. I added the imitation crab meat (sealegs! why are they called that?) while I was cooking the veggies too. I think the dressing was what made it so tasty though!
What’s your favorite cooking oil?