I was recently sent a complimentary copy of Becky Sue Epstein’s new book: Substituting Ingredients.
I’m always substituting ingredients myself, so I do know a lot of options already, but I’m always up for learning new things. (Speaking of learning new things, my linguistics class just ended and I am sad! It was really fun.) Becky’s book is a comprehensive reference book. It’s broken into a few parts:
- Substituting Ingredients A to Z (the bulk of the book; it’s an alphabetical listing of ingredients and their possible substitutes)
- Herbs and Spices (which definitely deserve their own section)
- Measurement equivalents (useful!)
- Remedies for common kitchen disasters (I can definitely see myself using this)
- Household formulas (recipes for household cleaning supplies – all natural – like air freshener, bathroom cleaner, drain cleaner, mouthwash, and more)
The section of the book that I hope to get the most use out of is actually that last one – “Household Formulas“. I have never made my own cleaning supplies but have always wanted to. I really hate the fact that I claim to be environmentally friendly yet I pour chemicals all over my house! I can’t wait to try these out.
So I really like the book. It’s a shame it doesn’t come with her favorite recipes, but aside from that, it’s great. Thanks for the sneak peak, Becky! If you want to order it you can order Substituting Ingredients on Amazon.
I am off to watch Bones and then maybe read. I just finished Three Cups of Tea (Clare read this recently too) so I have to figure out what to read next. I have a few things on my shelf but none are jumping out at me. What are you reading right now?