This past weekend we were in NJ meeting with the person who is semi-officiating our wedding (it’s a Quaker wedding, so the ceremony is a bit… different). He is such a cool guy; I’ve known him since I was a teeny little kid. His son is almost my age. Anyway, we went over to his house to chat about what we want, and they happened to be having a BBQ. His wife Karen had made the best coleslaw I’ve ever had, so I had to try to recreate it. So that’s what I did just now (and accidentally ate it all, but that’s okay: I have more cabbage and will make it again as soon as I finish typing this).
Maggie’s/Karen’s Crunchy Asian Coleslaw Recipe
- 4-5 cups of shredded cabbage (I used a mandoline – so much easier/faster than a grater!)
- 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (not vinegar, vinaigrette! you can make it yourself with oil and balsamic vinegar, or you can use your favorite bottled version – I used Wishbone’s – and please do not use the fat free version)
- 1/2 package of ramen noodles, crumbled finely (not quite crushed completely, but broken down a lot)
- 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce (or to taste)
- Mix everything together. Add more dressing or soy sauce if you so desire.
- Serve! (These plates are biodegradable reusable palm leaf plates that are completely earth friendly – they get the leaves off the ground so they don’t even hurt the trees. I can’t remember what brand mine are, but here is an example of some palm leaf plates.)
It’s great for a snack, with lunch or dinner, and hey – even breakfast (if you like veggies at breakfast). It has an Asian feel to it because of the ramen so I figured soy sauce would be a good accent. It’s really yum!
Exercise of the day: Today I walked over to Central Park and walked up 5th Avenue (the east side of Central Park) for about 20 blocks. Then I walked back. I also walked home from work (a little over a mile). Total: exactly 4.0 miles (according to Google Maps).
I can’t get over the fact that I am getting married in a little over 3 weeks. 3 weeks! And then I’m going to Hawaii.
Is anyone interested in doing a guest post about something related to marriage / wedding / food / relationship / health / traveling / etc? I’m going to be gone for 2 weeks so I definitely need some help to keep the blog updated while I’m away. Please email me or leave a comment below!