Quick Healthy Snacking – Snack (Singular), that is!

Lara recently wrote about how *snacking* can be a great way to keep your appetite in checksnack, singular! When I say that snacking is healthy, I mean that a (single) afternoon or (single) after dinner snack is a great way to stave off hunger and avoid overeating because you’re ravenous.

I was over at my aunt-in-law-to-be’s house this weekend and she made a really yummy snack – just bread with mustard and melted cheese. She broiled it in the oven and voila – a healthy snack. We love to chat about recipes and life stuff. I am so excited to become a part of Bobby’s family! (I made gingerbread houses with her back in December.)

17 cheesy bread toast Quick Healthy Snacking   Snack (Singular), that is!

I recreated the healthy snack a few days ago after work – I wasn’t hungry enough for a big dinner yet, but I was definitely getting hungry… and didn’t want to wait and eat a big meal late at night.

Ingredients

• 2 slices of whole wheat bread
  • mustard
  • shredded cheddar
  • parmesan ranch dressing (for dipping)

Method

Spread bread with mustard, top with cheddar. Broil for 3-5 minutes (until the cheese starts to melt). Dip in ranch dressing if you like, or have it plain. (This is my favorite ranch dressing because it’s parmesan ranch, and I love parmesan.)

16 grilled cheesy bread toast ranch dressing trader joes Quick Healthy Snacking   Snack (Singular), that is!

Another favorite (recent) snack (singular!) is organic baby carrots with this fabulous dressing from Trader Joe’s – cilantro salad dressing. It’s creamy and delicious.

15 baby carrots cilantro dressing trader joes Quick Healthy Snacking   Snack (Singular), that is!

Perfect for after work when I’m trying to wait for Bobby to get home so we can eat together.

Exercise of the day: walk home from work (1.4 miles) + 30 minutes of Crunch: Burn and Firm Pilates (Ellen Barrett). (Yesterday’s TBD video ended up being nothing. Life gets in the way.)

Do you snack? What’s your favorite healthy snack?

P.S. If you want to do a guest post about any of the following: wedding, relationships, honeymooning, traveling, food, or health – let me know! Leave a comment below or just email me. I’m still soliciting guest posts for when I’m out for my wedding and honeymoon.

12 Comments on Quick Healthy Snacking – Snack (Singular), that is!

1. Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs
    14 July, 2010 at 12:02 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve been better about having just a snack in the afternoon. But since my cravings are usually all over the place, I do better with having smaller portions of a few different things – like a few bites of watermelon, maybe a couple of pretzels, that sort of things.

2. Kim
    14 July, 2010 at 12:51 pm (4 years ago)

I love those carrots. I have ‘em with hummus as a snack, usually with string cheese and crackers, or Babybel cheese and crackers. I love fruit as a snack, bars, yogurts with toppings, etc. I don’t think I could NOT snack and maintain my weight. It’d be hard.

3. caronae
    14 July, 2010 at 1:26 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my goodness I totally struggle with singular snacking. I tend to have snack fests too. Part of the problem is that one tiny snack won’t keep me full (a granola bar). But I have learned that if I do something a little more substantial (a granola bar and a yogurt, a peach and almonds, oatmeal with PB) then it works out. I love broiling bread with cheese on it. So nom nom nom.

I would love to do a guest post. I can write about food, running, and mental health. Definitely not qualified to write about relationships or marriage though, lol.

4. Lara (Thinspired)
    14 July, 2010 at 4:43 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Maggie! Yes, why is a singular snack such a difficult concept to grasp?! I’m getting better at it but still have not perfected the whole thing.

Parmesan Ranch sounds like Heaven in a Bottle. It’s going on the shopping list!

5. Alycia @ Fit n Fresh
    14 July, 2010 at 7:04 pm (4 years ago)

Oh I’m a snack machineee! My grandma used to make me broiled cheese bread all the time when I was little – it was one of my all time favorite snacks! So funny that you did a post on it (:

6. Kimberly
    14 July, 2010 at 8:16 pm (4 years ago)

I tend to want to snack too much after dinner and it drives me nuts!! I have got to get out of that habit. If I start munching I just want to keep munching. I think part of the problem is that maybe I don’t get enough calories during the day and my body wants to make up for it in the evening. SO annoying!! Great post :)

14 July, 2010 at 8:36 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t snack much recently… too busy with work, and when I do, I just grab just nuts… quick and nutritious fix! :D

8. sophia
    14 July, 2010 at 9:16 pm (4 years ago)

lol, multiple snacks..that’s me! Ack! My favorite snack is nuts. But the problem is I can eat half a tub of nuts in a seating. Oops. I pay for it with a nasty tummyache, though.

9. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    15 July, 2010 at 3:58 am (4 years ago)

hi beautiful! love your snacks. mine is popcorn!! smothered in nooch and coconut oil and cocoa powder, weird but great! :)

10. Snack Girl
    15 July, 2010 at 8:30 am (4 years ago)

These are great snacks! I gotta share some of these with my readers.

11. Health women
    29 July, 2011 at 9:30 pm (3 years ago)

Yesterday searched in google sites about health and nutrition. I found a few, but all of the information or is incomplete or does not meet the needs of Poimena. Your blog and the article in particular was a pleasant surprise. I received answers to my questions. Thank you and continue so on.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Quick Healthy Snacking – Snack (Singular), that is!

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619