Loving the responses that I’m getting to all these tips I’ve been posting recently. If you missed them:
Today’s post is about beating a plateau. A plateau is “a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress” (Apple dictionary). (Plateau comes from the Old French word plat = flat.) It can be so frustrating to stop making headway when you’ve been doing so well at something. For example, I can be so balanced…
(Planet platter – a perfectly balanced meal – from Souen.)
But then sometimes I lose my footing and it can be hard to get on track. This is applicable to many areas of life. Today I’m going to relate it to weight loss.
Beat that plateau (for weight loss):
- Don’t give up. You will figure out what your body is or is not doing/wanting/getting, and you will make a breakthrough. Often it just takes time.
- Watch sugar and sodium – both can affect your weight drastically. Too much sodium could make you retain water; too much sugar can actually make you crave more sugar and overeat.
- Eat enough protein (but don’t overdo it!) – you need to feed your muscles so they keep on burning.
- Vary your calories/intake – alternate high-intake and low-intake days. If you eat the same amount each day your body gets used to it and doesn’t want to change.
- Up the exercise – add 10 minutes of brisk walking to your daily routine. (Love walking.)
- Eat enough – never go below 1200 calories unless you have 60+ pounds to lose. But…
- Recheck your diet – are you eating too much? Stay mindful!
- Always eat breakfast.
- Be strong – add in some strength training to your exercise routine. Strength training is fun and good for your bones. Check out my favorite exercises.
- Stay calm – stress makes you produce a pesky hormone called cortisol. This sneaky little bugger makes your store fat around your waist. Not fun! Try doing some yoga or taking time to do a 5 minute meditation daily to chill out.
Exercise of the day: walking to and from work (2.8 miles total) + Crunch: Super Slimdown (25 minutes of it).
Deal of the day: $5 off select products with code BACK2SCHOOL now thru August 9th at Crocs.com! (I heart my Crocs – I have pink ones.)
Have you ever hit a plateau in anything? What? When?