A Wedding Post

Wedding Planning

I just got married and I have barely talked about wedding stuff! I compiled this list of tips a little while ago, and I hope this is helpful for someone.

maggie wedding dress 400x267 A Wedding Post

Wedding checklist (in no particular order)

• Photographer
  • Photobooth (optional – I did get one)
  • Videographer (optional – I did not get one)
  • Caterer (buffet versus sit down? I chose buffet – usually less expensive, and now I don’t have to worry about who is eating what!)
  • Rings (mine is an antique and Bobby chose to go modern at Tiffany)
  • Venue (I went the simple route and chose my parents’ backyard)
  • Tables/chairs/linens/dishes (usually will have to coordinate with either the caterer or the venue or both)
  • Tent for outdoor weddings
  • DJ (get a recommendation from someone – the best way to pick)
  • Candles
  • Flowers
  • Invitationsmaggie bobby aisle luminaria 400x267 A Wedding Post

Best Wedding People Ever

• DJSound Choice DJ’s Inc (New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania, including the Philadelphia and New York areas)
  • Tent/tables/chairs/linens/dishes: Adam’s Party & Equipment Rental (Trenton, NJ)
  • Caterer: Emily’s Cafe (Pennington, NJ)
  • Photographer: Tarantino Photo (New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania) (go to Featured Events –> Maggie & Robert)
  • Invites: Parekh Cards (beautiful cards from India – they have so many gorgeous options, and they are fairly inexpensive for the quality – shipping was pricey though)
  • Candles: I got these votives. We made luminaria with paper bags, kitty litter, and decorative punches.
  • luminaria 366x550 A Wedding Post

Budget Wedding Tips…

• Refuse to buy into the idea that it’s okay for something to cost more just because it’s a wedding (!)
  • Go with a buffet instead of a sit down meal (I think people prefer this anyway)
  • Don’t get your dress at a bridal store – check out “used” dresses (Craigslist, etc… – if you Google you will find more wedding gown swaps) OR don’t buy a traditional dress (mine is a ball gown that happens to look like a wedding dress – it’s designer but wasn’t thousands of dollars)
  • Bridesmaid dresses – JCrew has a gorgeous wedding line
  • Know what you want (but don’t be afraid to change your mind)

maggie bobby wedding 366x550 A Wedding Post

And to plug my photographer one more time – Tarantino Photo –> Featured Events –> Maggie & Robert.

What are your wedding and/or big event tips?

12 Comments on A Wedding Post

25 August, 2010 at 12:35 pm (4 years ago)

MAGGIE! I loved all your pictures!
    CONGRATULATIONS (again)
    but what a lovely day for the two of you! so so happy~

thanks for sharing

2. Kim
    25 August, 2010 at 12:48 pm (4 years ago)

Great pictures, and I love all your wedding tips ;) I did such a lowkey thing because I was overwhelmed by all the details. I’m sure many women are overwhelmed, but still want the traditional pomp and circumstance, so this is a great resource!

3. theemptynutjar
    25 August, 2010 at 1:11 pm (4 years ago)

You look so beautiful. What a beautiful dress.
    I am single…the idea of marriage is so far away from me (insert witty analogy here).

4. Amanda
    25 August, 2010 at 5:48 pm (4 years ago)

This is a great and helpful post! Congrats again on your marriage—all your pictures are wonderful, and it seems your wedding day was everything you wanted! I really appreciate you sharing your “checklist” and especially your “budget tips.” I’ll be getting married in about a year, so all of this is on my mind.

I have already gotten my dress, and I got it from OnceWed.com. It’s a Vera Wang, but I got it for less than 10% of the original price because it had only been worn—once! Deal of a lifetime. :)

5. Melissa
    25 August, 2010 at 7:36 pm (4 years ago)

So beautiful, Mags, and I love the pictures! It looks like it was a lovely day. I haven’t made any plans, whatsoever. Newly single, it’s far off in my mind, but I hope it’s a simple wedding someday :)

6. Stephanie
    26 August, 2010 at 12:34 pm (4 years ago)

What a gorgeous dress you wore. I love when brides go a bit outside the box and make their day unique like you did. Congratulations!

7. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    27 August, 2010 at 6:18 pm (4 years ago)

Maggie,
    I love seeing photos from your wedding. My gosh, it looked beautiful. LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress and the votive candles were such a nice touch. It looked like a perfect evening, and yes, in my opinion buffet style is SO MUCH better than sit-down dinners! I dread weddings with sit-down dinners. I know that sounds awful, but it’s true. Would much rather wander around and talk to people while fixing my own plate.

Hope you and Bobby have a great weekend. :)

8. Goldie Zepka
    1 February, 2011 at 9:51 pm (3 years ago)

Some local places that you would be able to find antique tables are usually antique shops.

9. Lance Hunnings
    14 March, 2011 at 12:16 pm (3 years ago)

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check once more here frequently. I am quite certain I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the following!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on A Wedding Post