I just got married and I have barely talked about wedding stuff! I compiled this list of tips a little while ago, and I hope this is helpful for someone.
Wedding checklist (in no particular order)
- Photobooth (optional – I did get one)
- Videographer (optional – I did not get one)
- Caterer (buffet versus sit down? I chose buffet – usually less expensive, and now I don’t have to worry about who is eating what!)
- Rings (mine is an antique and Bobby chose to go modern at Tiffany)
- Venue (I went the simple route and chose my parents’ backyard)
- Tables/chairs/linens/dishes (usually will have to coordinate with either the caterer or the venue or both)
- Tent for outdoor weddings
- DJ (get a recommendation from someone – the best way to pick)
Best Wedding People Ever
- DJ: Sound Choice DJ’s Inc (New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania, including the Philadelphia and New York areas)
- Tent/tables/chairs/linens/dishes: Adam’s Party & Equipment Rental (Trenton, NJ)
- Caterer: Emily’s Cafe (Pennington, NJ)
- Photographer: Tarantino Photo (New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania) (go to Featured Events –> Maggie & Robert)
- Invites: Parekh Cards (beautiful cards from India – they have so many gorgeous options, and they are fairly inexpensive for the quality – shipping was pricey though)
- Candles: I got these votives. We made luminaria with paper bags, kitty litter, and decorative punches.
Budget Wedding Tips…
- Refuse to buy into the idea that it’s okay for something to cost more just because it’s a wedding (!)
- Go with a buffet instead of a sit down meal (I think people prefer this anyway)
- Don’t get your dress at a bridal store – check out “used” dresses (Craigslist, etc… – if you Google you will find more wedding gown swaps) OR don’t buy a traditional dress (mine is a ball gown that happens to look like a wedding dress – it’s designer but wasn’t thousands of dollars)
- Bridesmaid dresses – JCrew has a gorgeous wedding line
- Know what you want (but don’t be afraid to change your mind)
And to plug my photographer one more time – Tarantino Photo –> Featured Events –> Maggie & Robert.