Eat Me, I’m Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

Inspired by last weekend’s shenanigans, I wanted to make my own version of coconut pancakes. First I had to get myself an early birthday present (it was already wrapped, oddly enough!):

05 williams sonoma present 400x265 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)06 calphalon griddle 400x265 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

My very own griddle (Calphalon, from Williams Sonoma, if you want to get your own). This may be the best kitchen item I have ever bought. Better than this guy (which caused bleeding), and definitely better than this one. But without further ado…

Coconut Pancake Recipe

08 coconut pancakes 400x265 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

Ingredients (serves 2 – or 1 big breakfast – it’s about 500 calories total, without toppings)

• 1 egg plus 2 egg whites (1 yolk, 3 whites total)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice (This is because I don’t have baking powder or soda. I don’t know if it did anything. Maybe you can just leave it out.)

Directions

1. Preheat your griddle (low heat).
  2. Mix together the yolk, flakes, flour, almond milk, salt, and lemon juice. Set aside. This should sit for about 5 minutes.
  3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  4. Add the yolk and flour mixture to the egg whites; mix together gently.
  5. Scoop 1/2 cup-fuls of the batter onto the griddle. When bubbles start to appear and pop, it’s time to flip. Mine took about 3-4 minutes per side. (This is low heat, remember.)
  6. Top the coconut pancakes with: more coconut flakes, honey, peanut butter, whipped cream, or whatever you desire!

You can’t not make these coconut pancakes. This coconut pancakes recipe came out with 10 small guys; I think I had 6 and Bobby had 4 plus vegetarian bacon (which tastes delicious cooked on a griddle; I had a bite).

07 bacon 400x265 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)09 bobby bacon pancakes 400x265 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

There were about 500 calories in the whole coconut pancake recipe, so it’s either a substantial 1-person breakfast or you can put on some toppings and split it between 2 people. Or save half for another day. I topped mine with more coconut flakes and honey.

04 coconut pancakes 400x267 Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

I’m really into the coconut this week and I have another recipe to share with coconut in it later.

Do you like coconut? What’s your favorite coconut recipe? Have you made coconut pancakes yet?

Don’t forget – You have one day left to win some yummy stevia icon smile Eat Me, Im Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe) **If you want another entry, go to my newly updated recipes page and leave a comment (on the stevia post) telling me what recipe you want to try!** And you have until the end of the month to use this stevia coupon.

26 Comments on Eat Me, I’m Delicious (Healthy Coconut Pancakes Recipe)

14 September, 2010 at 8:47 am (4 years ago)

I’m really into coconut lately too. I just made coconut butter! It’s great! :)

2. Erica
    14 September, 2010 at 9:13 am (4 years ago)

oh my gosh- I’m obsessed with coconut- just book marked these. Thank you!

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:51 pm (4 years ago)

@Erica: Yay! I hope you make them :)

3. Abby
    14 September, 2010 at 9:50 am (4 years ago)

I kind of wish I liked coconut, but the smell just reminds me of suntan lotion. I like the smell and suntan lotion, but I don’t really enjoy eating it that much ;) However, maybe I should give it another shot.

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:50 pm (4 years ago)

@Abby: Give it another shot! These are awesome – but then again, I love the smell of suntan lotion, so…

4. Eden
    14 September, 2010 at 11:14 am (4 years ago)

Like abby, I used to think of “hawaiian tropics” tanning oil..but I just snubbed it for a while and when I had some a few months ago, loved it! I dont like it in candy (like mounds bars) but I like coconut milk in my homemade ice cream and I made some delicious waffles with them!

14 September, 2010 at 11:23 am (4 years ago)

ohhh they look fluffy. You know I am a coconut freak, so I will be making these, if just for myself if I must!

Thanks for sharing.

I think I’ll make pancake for dinner tonight! easy!
    haha

what a great way to start your day!

6. Christina (Dinner at Christina's)
    14 September, 2010 at 11:23 am (4 years ago)

I love coconut! I have never had or thought of coconut pancakes though! They look delish!

7. Justine
    14 September, 2010 at 11:32 am (4 years ago)

Those look fabulous! Very ‘cakey’ in texture. I jsut bought some coconut last week that I may have to use here! It is amazing how dried, unsweetened coconut tastes nothing like the moist sugar stuff that I was accustomed to from the grocery stores.

8. Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss
    14 September, 2010 at 1:51 pm (4 years ago)

OMG, those look delicious. I think I’m putting them on my “to eat” list next week. (Need to get paid first.)

9. Lara (Thinspired)
    14 September, 2010 at 2:26 pm (4 years ago)

Yummy! I love whole wheat pancakes but never thought to incorporate coconut. My favorite thing to have coconut with lately is oatmeal.

10. Melissa
    14 September, 2010 at 4:53 pm (4 years ago)

Oh my gosh, Maggie…those look so so yummy! I’m on a coconut kick right now, which is really funny because up until about two weeks ago, I absolutely hated coconut. Crazy, eh?

11. mma shirts
    14 September, 2010 at 6:16 pm (4 years ago)

This recipie looks amazing! I love coconut anything. Coconut water is awesome.

12. Kim
    14 September, 2010 at 7:29 pm (4 years ago)

Unfortunately, I am not a coconut person. I feel like people either love or hate coconut. I don’t like it. I do like creative pancakes though, and I bet these would be good with a variety of tweaks!

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:49 pm (4 years ago)

@Kim: My dad hates coconut! It’s funny because the rest of our family love sit.

13. Lynn (The Actors Diet)
    14 September, 2010 at 7:35 pm (4 years ago)

sounds great – i’m gonna post on facebook!

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:49 pm (4 years ago)

@Lynn: Awesome! I hope you make them :)

14. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan
    16 September, 2010 at 7:26 am (4 years ago)

Those look absolutely excellent. They appear to be kind of thick, and a little puffy, almost like Indian frybread (which is a big deal here in the Midwest, but I don’t know if people elsewhere know what that is!).

I LOVE coconut anything. I have made raw coconut pancakes but nothing like this…though I should!

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:49 pm (4 years ago)

@Amber: YES they were fantastic. I am definitely going to make them again. And soon.

15. Lea @ Healthy Coconut
    21 September, 2010 at 3:16 pm (4 years ago)

I love making pancakes with coconuts on the weekend. I did not make them from scratch though, I added toasted coconut flakes and mixed it with Kodiak cakes pancake mix. It was so delicious, toasting the coconuts first was the key. It was more flavorful.

I want to try making them from scratch though and will keep your recipe in mind.

thank you for the sharing and for the inspiration

• Maggie
      21 September, 2010 at 3:17 pm (4 years ago)

@Lea: I love your blog name! That sounds delicious :)

16. Erica
    7 October, 2010 at 11:41 am (4 years ago)

Hey! I am making these tonight- is it ok if I post a link to your recipe and post my slight modifications?? email me at itzyskitchen at gmail dot com and let me know! Thank you <3 <3

• Maggie
      7 October, 2010 at 11:42 am (4 years ago)

@Erica: YES totally!

17. G
    31 January, 2012 at 7:53 am (2 years ago)

would these work with any flour, wheat free flour or just 1/2 cup of coconut flour?

• Maggie
      3 February, 2012 at 6:10 pm (2 years ago)

@G: I’ve only done them as I listed above. If you try a different variation let me know how it works out!

18. Emeroy
    30 September, 2013 at 7:26 am (10 months ago)

Omg, my girlfriend recently converted me into liking coconuts. Now that I think about it, my girlfriend actually converted me into loving healthy dishes. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be here looking for some new recipes.