Thankful Thursday & Happiness

Did you see the stevia contest winners yet? I updated them.

On Being Thankful

I had a great birthday yesterday, thanks to your comments and lots of wishes from friends and family all over the country and even around the world. I’m so thankful to have met so many people through this blog and this healthy living community! And I’m thankful for technology that lets me stay in contact with friends and family that I otherwise would not see or talk to.

I was in a pensive mood yesterday, and I was thinking about being thankful, and being happy, and I came to the following conclusion:

If you are happy, that is all that matters.

At the end of my (hopefully very long) life, I want to look back and think, “wow, I was a happy person, and I spread that happiness to everyone I knew.” That would make me feel accomplished. And happy! It’s the little things in life that are important, right? Little things like…

• hugging your friends/family/spouse/significant other
  • taking time to savor life (and food, yum)
  • being proud of the little things that you do really well at your job
  • finishing a Friday crossword (ok, that hasn’t happened yet)
  • learning something new
  • and so on.

I’m thankful for lots of simple (foodie) things, like seasonal and organic heirloom tomatoes that my mom gave me last weekend

13 heirloom tomatoes 400x288 Thankful Thursday & Happiness

Chopped heirlooms with a simple dressing of soy sauce, vinegar, and peanut oil.

I’m thankful that I can make time for a relaxing cup of tea each day.

10 earl grey teavana tea 400x308 Thankful Thursday & Happiness

Earl grey tea from a dear friend.

And I’m thankful that I can enjoy coconut cookies for breakfast (recipe to come).

11 coconut cookies 400x366 Thankful Thursday & Happiness

Coconut cookies in my big breakfast mug.

What are you thankful for?

I am also thankful for my yoga challenge (join me!), and thankful that I have the chance to do another giveaway… so stop back tomorrow! Other upcoming posts include a post about wine, my Project Food Blog post, and something else I am currently forgetting. I must be getting old icon wink Thankful Thursday & Happiness

20 Comments on Thankful Thursday & Happiness

1. Kim
    16 September, 2010 at 12:08 pm (4 years ago)

You know I’m all about gratitude :) Today, I’m thankful to have some creative energy to put toward my book revisions. I’m thankful to have found a new author I really love (Murakami). I’m thankful that the week is almost done (it’s flown by). I’m thankful for my job. I’m thankful to live in California :) I could go on…

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:09 pm (4 years ago)

@Kim: I always love your things to be thankful for! I will have to look up Murakami.

16 September, 2010 at 12:14 pm (4 years ago)

This is so beautiful Maggie! Nothing like a little thankful-ness to brighten our day and change our attitude!

all your thankful items are PERFECT and put a big smile on my face!

Happy Thursday!

3. Justine
    16 September, 2010 at 3:25 pm (4 years ago)

Happy late birthday!
    Who wouldn’t be thankful for coconut cookies for breakfast?!

4. Sagan
    16 September, 2010 at 3:44 pm (4 years ago)

ABSOLUTELY. Happiness is everything – it really is all that matters.

I’m glad you had a lovely birthday :)

5. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan
    16 September, 2010 at 4:50 pm (4 years ago)

I’m thankful that I was fortunate enough to be raised by attentive, encouraging, thoughtful, intelligent parents, and was never “wanting” for anything. Without all they gave me in my life, I wouldn’t be where I am today. :]

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:08 pm (4 years ago)

@Amber Shea: That sounds amazing! I am very thankful for my parents too :)

6. Gaby
    16 September, 2010 at 5:43 pm (4 years ago)

I’m thankful for getting to meet amazing blogger friends! I’m so happy I got to spend your birthday with you and I loved Souen!
    I’m excited for the coconut cookie recipe…you should be careful tempting me like that, I’m still here, and if it weren’t for the pouring rain right now I’d be on my way over :p

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 6:07 pm (4 years ago)

@Gaby: I had so much fun! Yes, the weather is being a little crazy right now.

7. Kath (Eating for Living)
    16 September, 2010 at 6:59 pm (4 years ago)

I believe happiness is the meaning of life! (Not to be mixed up with fun, though.) Currently I’m happy to read you had such a great day and have so many people who love you and think of you!

Hm, give me a second to think about what I’m thankful for the most …

I’m thankful for having my parents, m grandmother, and my close friends.
    I’m thankful for all the beautiful music that gets me in contact with myself emotionally, and for being able to play the piano.
    I’m thankful that life still gives me second chances and opportunities to learn from mistakes, although I have been very thoughtless with my health during the last years, and have behaved very stupid.
    I’m thankful for the things I learn and the inspiring people I meet.

Earl Grey tea is the best.

• Maggie
      16 September, 2010 at 7:06 pm (4 years ago)

@Kath: I’m thankful for second chances too!! The body can be very forgiving if you treat it right.

8. Crystal
    16 September, 2010 at 11:35 pm (4 years ago)

I hate that I spent so much time thinking of happiness as a destination…”If I can do this, I’ll be happy, If I can get that, I’ll be happy.” It really is just about appreciating the small things and trying to see beauty in everything. It’s about perspective. And I am thankful for so many things! I’m especially thankful for how supportive my boyfriend is of me. His support has helped me so much the past couple of years.

• Maggie
      20 September, 2010 at 2:33 pm (4 years ago)

@Crystal: Well said :)

9. Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15)
    17 September, 2010 at 1:07 am (4 years ago)

Yeah, there’s so much do dance for! Sometimes I’m prone to moodiness, and the one thing that always makes me feel just a liiiittle better is to get a bigass, goofy smile on my face and say aloud one thing I’m thankful for. It’s so stupid but it works.

Right now, I’m thankful for my roomies…we had a rocky start, but they’ve taught me the importance of being a neater, tidier person. It’s amazing what being neater does for mindfulness.

• Maggie
      20 September, 2010 at 2:32 pm (4 years ago)

@Mimi: Interesting about the roomies! I haven’t had a roomate since I started living with Bobby (well, he’s my roommate but I don’t count that) so it’s been a good 4 years. I do get frustrated though, even with Bobby, if either of us is messy. I think having a decluttered house makes it easier to have a decluttered mind.

10. Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear
    17 September, 2010 at 4:59 am (4 years ago)

I’m thankful for my awesome friends, boyfriend and family.. and also for my great job! :)

• Maggie
      20 September, 2010 at 2:31 pm (4 years ago)

@Anne: Great things to be thankful for!

11. MoniMeals
    17 September, 2010 at 11:54 am (4 years ago)

Great post! Attitude of Gratitude! :)

12. Jed Eisenhart
    8 January, 2012 at 10:17 am (2 years ago)

I’m still learning from you, as I’m improving myself. I definitely liked reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Thankful Thursday & Happiness

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619