**Update: I have since quit the gym… I will stick to my walking and occasional yoga!**
Last night I joined a gym.
I know, I said it was expensive. I said it wasn’t worth it. But then someone that I talk to about my problems told me that maybe I should just try it, and see if it makes me happy. And Bobby agreed. So I popped over and signed up. And so far I am very happy! You see, I have this problem – I need to constantly have some kind of mental stimulation or else I get bored and irritable and do things I regret. I also need to have a reason to get out of my house aside from work and the occasional dinner date during the week.
Back to last night though – I did 2 classes. I was actually feeling sick yesterday (I even worked from home because I didn’t feel well in the morning) but by nighttime I’d started feeling better, and I hadn’t left the house and was feeling antsy – so I went over (it’s just a few blocks away).
Delicious Veggie Dinner
You know after a great refreshing workout like that that I had to nourish myself. I met Bobby up at Good Health Cafe (which I posted about yesterday too) and got the macro plate (beans, rice, tofu, seaweed, steamed veggies, with the most amazing ginger-carrot dipping sauce). It’s vegan and macrobiotic. This was huge.
It came with a salad, too. Bobby got some delectable pepper-seitan dish over rice. The sliced oyster mushrooms were the best part. Also vegan and macrobiotic.
We shared (meaning that I ate most of) dessert – blueberry apple pie. Vegan, but not macro – it had agave nectar in it which I don’t think counts as macrobiotic.
This was so good – not overly sweet, with perfectly buttery oaty crumbles. (It was vegan, so it clearly was not butter.)
- Enter my giveaway! It’s a big gift certificate good for *anything* at CSN stores. There are a lot of ways to enter and you can probably buy just about anything with it 🙂
- Do some yoga.
- Sometimes expensive things are worth it if they make you happy; don’t spend your life saving never to use those savings. Put them towards something that’ll improve your quality of life.
Happy Friday! Do you have weekend plans? I have a choir retreat on Saturday but aside from that I have no idea what I’m doing.
***Giveaway now closed. Congrats to Ashlei The Vegster! Just sent you an email and CSN will be in touch.***
Gooood morning! Today I have a great giveaway opportunity for y’all. CSN Stores (they sell things like nesting tables, kitchen appliances, sheets, etc… – basically anything you can think of) is giving one of my lucky readers a…
$65 gift certificate to use at any of their online stores
How to Enter (each worth one entry unless otherwise noted)
- Leave a comment on this post telling me something you might want to buy with $65 dollars. (It can be anything; doesn’t have to be something from the CSN website.)
- Leave a comment here telling me which recipe of mine you might try.
- Follow me and leave a comment here telling me that you tweeted the giveaway (with your Twitter handle): “Check out @TheSaladGirl’s gift certificate giveaway! http://bit.ly/9rteHX”
- Tell me your favorite yoga pose.
- Join my Facebook blog page and leave a comment here telling me you did.
- Blog about this giveaway and leave a comment here telling me you did (3 entries).
- Tell me if you like my new header image.
- Update my 30 Days of Yoga Challenge page (max 3 entries) and leave a comment here telling me you did.
This contest closes Wednesday, September 29th, at 10:30pm Eastern. If you win you get a $65 gift card. The winner will be notified via email (as usual).
Remember that friend I hung out with last week? We met up on Friday night at a cafe kind of near my apartment: Good Health Cafe (menu here). The place is mostly macrobiotic. It does offer chicken and fish, but it’s all sustainable/free-range/organic etc.. Definitely my kind of place! And they even deliver.
Gaby and I both got the same thing: stuffed cabbage rolls with steamed veggies and a sweet potato mash.
So that was Friday night dinner. Friday lunch was just as good! My good friend (and bridesmaid) took me out for my birthday to another favorite: Peacefood Cafe (vegan, mostly raw). Peacefood is on the upper west side. I went for the Asian Greens salad (I had never gotten a salad here before).
It had a bunch of different veggies, sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, jicama (love), peanuts, and it was topped with the most amazing tempeh. I usually dislike tempeh but this was fabulous. I ate it ALL. The dressing (peanutty sesame garlicky goodness) was to die for. I want it again.
My other Peacefood post (I have been here again but I guess I didn’t post about it):
What you don’t see is my meal from Saturday brunch, which was also from Good Health. I am the type of person to go to a restaurant over and over again if it is good. Which Good Health is. I love it when I find a place that I know I can order just about anything and be happy. Souen and Good Health are now at the top of my list.
What is your favorite restaurant dish?
I always have to try papaya salad if it’s on the menu.
I picked a winner of the book giveaway… click here to see who won!
I bring my breakfast and lunch to work on most days. It is easy for me to do, and it definitely saves me money. But sometimes I don’t like eating my oatmeal at my desk, so I allow some extra time in the morning to enjoy my breakfast at home. Which is what I did today.
Roasted butternut protein powder oat bran.
Oat bran will always be my favorite breakfast grain; oatmeal is certainly delicious but you just can’t top the goodness that oat bran is. The ingredients / method for this bowl:
- Cook 3/4 cup oat bran in 2.25 cups water (3 to 1 ratio) over very low heat with a dash of salt; let this simmer for a long time (20 minutes or so) to get it creamy, thick, and voluminous. (3/4 cup is the “heart healthy” serving.)
- Add in 1 scoop of protein powder towards the end of cooking the oat bran.
- Freeze oat bran for 10-20 minutes to make it even thicker.
- Top with roasted butternut squash.
I enjoyed this with a warm cup of NuNaturals-sweetened tea (don’t forget about the 15% off stevia coupon!).
Off to work now; what is your favorite fall breakfast?
P.S. I updated my list of people to vote for too 🙂 And don’t forget – today is the last day to enter the book giveaway – there are not that many people entered so you have a good chance of winning The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! Enter here.
Did you know that you get 400 votes for Project Food Blog? I did not. You can vote for me and all of my favorites too! Check out these lovely posts:
(If I missed you let me know and I will make sure to vote for you!)
I don’t have much to say today so I am going to steal Kim’s daily gratitude feature. Don’t forget to enter my book giveaway if you didn’t already. It ends tomorrow.
Things I am thankful for today:
- Beautiful fall weather. Walking to work today was peaceful (as peaceful as a New York City morning can be) and relaxing.
- Having a steady job and enjoying it.
- Choir practice tonight!
- Having a very understanding and supportive husband.
- 30 Days of Yoga 🙂
- My morning cup of tea. (It’s not morning anymore, but it makes me happy all day.)