Taking a break today from regular food / fitness / life posting to chat about blog marketing. I don’t really actively market my blog; it’s more of a fun hobby, but there are three things that I did recently that I had meant to do for ages to brand my blog. In the order I did them:
- Got an avatar (picture) to appear next to all my comments.
- Created a Facebook page for Say Yes to Salad.
- Got a custom URL (vanity URL) for my Facebook page.
“Blog branding” is basically making your name and your blog more recognizable. It’s getting your name out there. One way to brand your blog is by having a memorable design (not ostentatious!). Another is to put a face to your name – like a picture by all your comments. It’s also nice to have a social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, etc…). And guest posting never hurts. This post is about the two blog branding things I mentioned above – an avatar, and a Facebook page.
How to Get a Comment Avatar (Put Your Picture Next to Your Blog Comments)
- Sign up with Gravatar.
- Confirm your account.
- Add an image to your Gravatar account (once you’re signed in). I used a wedding picture that I was particularly fond of.
- You’re done! Now when you comment you will see the picture you chose next to your name, as long as you use the same email for commenting that you put in Gravatar. You can add more email accounts to Gravatar as well, so you don’t have to create new accounts for different email addresses.
- The cool thing is that it appears for all the comments you’ve made in the past, not just the ones you make from now on.
That was easy. Have you made your Gravatar yet?
How to Make a Facebook Fan Page for Your Blog
Facebook likes to make things difficult and user-unfriendly. To make a page for your blog (or anything)…
- On the bottom of your Facebook homepage click on the link that says “Advertising”.
- Click “manage your existing ads”.
- On the left there is a link that says, “Pages”. Click that.
- Click “Create page”.
- Select the option under “Official Page” that says, “Brand, product, or organization”, and then select “Website” in the drop-down list. Type out your blog name, check the checkbox, and click “Create Official Page”. You’ll have to click another button that says “Create Page”.
- Add any info you want; add pictures; post to your wall.
- Invite people to “like” you with the “Suggest to Friends” link.
- Add the “Like Box” to your blog. Click here to get a like box. You will need to put in the URL of your page and make other customizations. Mine is up on the left, see it? I added it as a widget using my WordPress dashboard. (You may have to tweak the code a little bit to get it to look the way you want – it’s not hard, I promise, and feel free to comment with any questions.)
How to Get a Custom Facebook Page URL (Vanity URL)
After you get 25 fans you can change your page URL from the default URL (which is not pretty and usually has ID numbers in it) to something more user-friendly like www.Facebook.com/SayYesToSalad – sometimes called a custom URL or a vanity URL. Here’s how:
- Go to the Facebook username page.
- Pick a URL for your page (you can do it for your profile too – for example, my profile is www.Facebook.com/TheSaladGirl).
- Click “Check availability” of the URL you want, confirm it, and say “Okay”.
Hope you enjoyed these three quick (and hopefully easy) tips. Let me know if you have questions and also feel free to ask me unrelated technical questions as well. I blog / Facebook / code for a living so I may have answers if you are looking for them.
What’s your weekend looking like?
We have Bobby’s parents coming in to stay with us, so we are going to hang out with them a lot