This week’s edition of What’s Up Saturday has lots of goodies (I think). I will not bore you with random musings today; without further ado here is my weekly link love:
Salad Round Up
- Healthy Monday Tip #1 (re: sugar).
- Yet another macrobiotic restaurant review.
- A brief history of food production in the US.
- Crêpes & Friendship.
- 3 Tips for Blogging – Facebook & Avatars. (This might not have shown up in your Google Reader so if you missed it, make sure to check it out – everyone seemed to like the tips.)
Food & Recipes
- Really want to make Katie’s Baked Oatmeal with Apples. I haven’t had baked oatmeal in ages and I definitely want to try her recipe.
- Kath posted about a cool way to cook rice that might make it easier on your stomach (good if grains are difficult for you to digest).
- Melissa has a fun-looking recipe for Coconut Flour Pumpkin Cuffins. I’m always down for pumpkin recipes.
- Kitty Litter Cake from Christina! ‘Nuff said.
- Not all calories are created equal?! A new study might show that the source of the calorie might actually impact whether or not you gain weight from it. In other words, an extra 100 calories a day from candy might make you gain more weight than an extra 100 calories a day from peanuts. (From Fooducate.) I eat nuts like they are going out of style so maybe this is why I don’t weigh 300 pounds already.
- Childhood obesity is running rampant because kids are eating utter crap. Apparently 40% of kids’ calories come from junk food (soda, sugary drinks, desserts, pizza, and whole milk). (Also from Fooducate. I love this blog. I do not agree that whole milk is junk, though – I am a big promoter of full-fat dairy!)
Linguistics Article & Other Random Things
- The 13 Strangest Birthplaces of Common Words. (Thanks for the link, Clare!)
- Did I mention I ordered a MacBook Air? The new one. I ordered it about 20 minutes after Apple announced it on Wednesday.
- Also, next weekend we are headed down to DC: Bobby is going to the rally to restore sanity, and I am going to the march to keep fear alive.