My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

Thank you so much for all your well wishes for Bo! He is doing fine now. He had a urethra blockage and could not pee icon sad My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream Luckily we caught it in time and the vet was able to unblock him. He’s feeling much better and says *meowThankYoumeow*. (If you are looking for an amazing vet on the UES, call Dr. Cotter.)

***

Today’s topic… Fun addictions.

Sometimes you should just eat whatever you want and let go trying to be “healthy” all the time. I think I talked about this before – being happy actually has more of an impact on your health than food and fitness. Read more here.

I Love Grilled Cheese

One thing that made my Friday last week was a grilled cheese sandwich that I had for lunch. The ingredients were (I didn’t make it; I bought it at the deli near my office):

• 2 slices of multigrain bread
  • a few slices of swiss cheese
  • tomatoes
  • lots of butter on the outside to make it crispy

grilled cheese My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

Gosh, I love butter. It’s kind of an addiction. Probably the main reason I could never be a vegan.┬áThis was kind of “healthy”, kind of not, and kind of awesome.

My New Computer

In addition to my butter addiction, I also have a…

My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

Mac addiction. Twenty minutes after the press event last week I ordered the new Macbook Air. I love it. It came Wednesday. I love it!

macbook My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

It is so light. So thin. So sleek. So fast. You can actually hold it like that.

My Ice Cream Addiction

Oh yeah. I also have an addiction to almost calorie-free ice cream. It is called Arctic Zero. I have tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter and the Strawberry Banana. Chocolate Peanut Butter is better. I am now on a mission to find Pumpkin! I know it’s very diet-y but I just can’t help myself.

arctic zero chocolate peanut butter My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

What is your addiction? (Healthy or not.)

P.S. Are you going to the rally? We have a concert tonight but we’re heading down to DC tomorrow morning.

34 Comments on My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

1. Abby
    29 October, 2010 at 8:12 am (3 years ago)

I also have an addiction to butter. Aside from healthy things like my veggies and Kukicha tea, I have a thing for Dove Dark Chocolate Promises, Amy’s Organic Pesto Pizza, sugarless gum and sports talk radio.

Glad your cat’s feeling better!

2. Maeve
    29 October, 2010 at 8:13 am (3 years ago)

I’m totally going to the rally as is Noah! I’m so excited! I fly out tonight.

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:04 pm (3 years ago)

@Maeve: Woo Hoo! We are leaving early tomorrow morning. Maybe we’ll see each other :D

3. Jessie
    29 October, 2010 at 8:40 am (3 years ago)

Glad to hear Bo is doing better!

My addiction: Laughing Cow cheese. As a cheese purist, you’d think that I would shun this “cheese”, but no – gotta have it on my salads :P

How awesome is that Macbook Air?? Enjoy it!

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

@Jessie: The Air is awesome!! I like LC cheese too :)

4. Rachel (tea and chocolate)
    29 October, 2010 at 9:29 am (3 years ago)

I’m glad Bo is feeling better! And so cool that you got a Macbook Air. I’d be afraid that I’d break it, haha.

My addiction? Dark chocolate. I have to eat a little bit every night.

I’ve heard about that ice cream and thought it sounded interesting. Good to know that the chocolate peanut butter one is yummy!

5. Sagan
    29 October, 2010 at 10:10 am (3 years ago)

Almost calorie-free ice cream? Score! What are the ingredients like?

I want a grilled cheese SO BAD now :D

Butter, popcorn, and chocolate chip cookies are a few of my addictions. I’ve been making “healthier” chocolate chip “cookies” out of combining in the food processor 2/3 cup cashews, 1/3 cup oats, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and then mixing that with a few chopped squares of dark chocolate (from a Love Veggies & Yoga blog recipe). SO GOOD. If ever I have a craving for chocolate chip cookies, I can whip up a batch of those and feel somewhat ok with my choice ;)

So good that Bo is feeling better!

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

@Sagan: Ingredients are great! They sell it at Whole Foods and other natural foods stores that don’t allow crappy stuff in their food.

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:06 pm (3 years ago)

@Amanda: I have tried EB, but I prefer butter ;) My body does well with a lot of saturated fat which is another reason that I like butter and ghee.

6. melissa @ the delicate place
    29 October, 2010 at 11:29 am (3 years ago)

when my macbook pro dies i want to get the new air! it looks so sexy!! i have eaten the pb flavor of artic but thought it tasted like a protein shake :( it’s too icy i think i can make better with my xanthan gum

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

@melissa: Get it get it! It does taste kind of like a shake. I should try to make my own because this is pricey ($4.50 per pint).

7. Beth @ To the Fullest
    29 October, 2010 at 11:40 am (3 years ago)

I love Arctic Zero, too. Unfortunately, the only way I can get it is to mail order it in bulk, which is pricey. Phooey! But their PB/chocolate, chocolate, and vanilla maple are all really good. I’ve never been able to find the pumpkin online, though!

As for tomatoes in grilled cheese…*shudder*. Seriously, cooked tomatoes (except for tomato sauce) make me want to puke. Sorry. You ruined a perfectly good grilled cheese. ;)

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

@Beth: yes, mine is $4.50 a pint. Which wouldn’t be that much except that I eat the whole pint! Will have to try vanilla maple, that sounds yummy.

8. Lara (Thinspired)
    29 October, 2010 at 12:37 pm (3 years ago)

I am SOOOOOOO jealous of your new Air! I have been coveting it since the rumors started, and it is the #1 item on my Christmas list! I can’t wait to hear how you like it as you use it more.

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

@Lara: Get one!! I LOVE it so far.

29 October, 2010 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

I think you called it. new high tech gadgets, grilled cheese and butter?

yup. Happiness 101.

sign me up.

Glad Bo is alright! my cat had a thousand dollar constipation once. grrr.
    of course because I knit, the whole shindig got blamed on that…oh kitty got into your yarn.
    NO, she was just constipated. lil stink.

we called it the golden Poo.

thousand bucks for that. hahaha
    a blocked urethra sounds dangerous!
    Happy Friday

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:08 pm (3 years ago)

@Cindy: Thankfully this was not a thousand bucks! Still pricey though. We don’t really know what caused it :P

10. Alina (Duty Free Foodie)
    29 October, 2010 at 12:58 pm (3 years ago)

That’s great that he could be catheterized and everything worked out well :)
    I love butter as well. That grilled cheese looks great – I like tomatoes in mine also.

11. Eimear Rose
    29 October, 2010 at 1:01 pm (3 years ago)

It’s funny the way most women gravitate towards high fat things like ice-cream, butter and chocolate rather than very sugary things. I also love chocolate but not so much in recent times. My addictions usually come and go. At the moment I can’t get enough rice noodles, warm fruit cake and custard and hummus. Not altogether though!
    I’m glad Bo is going to be fine- that must have been traumatic for the poor wee thing!

12. Mimi (Gingersnaps)
    29 October, 2010 at 1:42 pm (3 years ago)

I’m addicted to nut butter on anything.

Oh, I’ve tried Arctic Zero! The PB&C flavor’s easily the best, though I haven’t tried the Pumpkin Spice. I want to try the Chocolate Mint. Stay away from the Cookies & Cream though…it’s kind of godawful.

13. carin
    29 October, 2010 at 2:06 pm (3 years ago)

oh man, i read your blog a lot but have never commented. i have to agree with mimi, the cookies & cream was pretty barfy, but the chocolate mint was my absolute favorite. i actually haven’t bought it in awhile because i was eating so much for awhile and going broke…that crap’s expensive!! i’ll have to get some more soon as a treat.

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:09 pm (3 years ago)

@carin: thanks for commenting! I’ll have to try chocolate mint if I can find it. It does get expensive – when you eat a whole pint at a time that’s a pricey dessert :P

14. Shelby
    29 October, 2010 at 2:45 pm (3 years ago)

Oh gosh, it’s been FOREVER since I’ve had grilled cheese! I must get some daiya and make that ASAP! Maybe add some avocado in there :0 yum!

15. Molly
    29 October, 2010 at 4:17 pm (3 years ago)

I saw Arctic Zero on Amazon the other day…it was like $50 for 4 cartons or something! Crazy! Does it actually taste that good?

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:10 pm (3 years ago)

@Molly: It’s pretty decent – I don’t think it’s worth what it costs on Amazon though! I get mine for $4.50 a pint. If there is a Whole Foods near you they will probably start selling it soon if they don’t already though :)

16. cynthia
    29 October, 2010 at 5:34 pm (3 years ago)

I love Arctic Zero. I’m all about the 16 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber in it. My local store charges $3.89 a pint.I add it to my shake every morning, coffee is my favorite flavor.

• Maggie
      29 October, 2010 at 7:10 pm (3 years ago)

@Cynthia: I’m jealous that you get it for $3.89!! Mine is $4.50. I guess that’s still not terrible :) I will have to try coffee.

17. Christina (Dinner at Christina's)
    29 October, 2010 at 6:49 pm (3 years ago)

Wow your computer is awesome!!!

My addictions include cheese, pickles, olives, and CHEESE.

18. Kath (Eating for Living)
    30 October, 2010 at 7:23 am (3 years ago)

Yay for saturated fat! :D :D

I’m addicted to black tea and candy (the solid ones you have to suck on until they’re gone). I love fruit and herb candy and sometimes licorice. :D

19. Krista
    30 October, 2010 at 9:17 am (3 years ago)

My current addiction is the Lindt sea salt dark chocolate bar. I *need* my 2 squares every night! And Vampire Diaries. Don’t even look at me when that’s on!!

Have a great weekend, Maggie!!

20. Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear
    31 October, 2010 at 4:38 am (3 years ago)

Macbook Air is fantastic, but unfortunately too expensive too :D enjoy yours!

I’m addicted to cheese and salty Finnish liquorice candy.. :P

21. Lauren
    1 November, 2010 at 11:51 am (3 years ago)

I am addicted to avocado on toast with salt, kettle corn, and cheese. Cheese with crackers or toast is also good. Sounds like fat, salt and crunch are my things!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on My Addictions: Butter, Macs, and Fake Ice Cream

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619