What’s Up Sunday – 10.31.10 – Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! Last year we were handing out candy. Two years ago I was still blogging about my daily eats (!).

Whats Up Sunday   10.31.10   Happy Halloween!

If I were (aside: what is your opinion on subjunctive? I use it sometimes but not always) home at my parents’ house I could find all sorts of pictures of great kiddie costumes from when I was younger, but I will give you one of my favorites – Maggie the Pumpkin. It is so telling – who knew that I would grow up to love pumpkin so much? (I have posted this before but I just love the picture.)

pumpkin sleeping 300x214 Whats Up Sunday   10.31.10   Happy Halloween!

I do have one more photo – Maggie the Witch. My mom made all of these costumes, by the way. She is great at sewing and she also makes me lots of beautiful quilts. My dad was always the photographer.

maggie witch 206x400 Whats Up Sunday   10.31.10   Happy Halloween!

What is your favorite Halloween Costume?

Onto What’s Up Saturday Sunday.

Salad Links

Food & Fitness Links

• Mark posted a bunch of Primal Holiday Desserts and I really want to try them. Coconut Macademia Bark? Primal Chocolate Chip Cookies? Count me in. (I started reading Mark’s blog off and on when I became obsessed with fat. Then I became even more obsessed this month and now I actually subscribe.)
  • Kimberly posted about ways to Beat the Bloat. (My recent tip to beat the bloat – eat fat. Eat lots of fat. It doesn’t make you fat. More on this later.)
  • Grain Free Bread – Melissa is always posting great recipes.
  • Avoid liver damage and other bad things by eating more saturated fat. (Lots of fat talk today – good fat talk!)

Other Links (Linguistics, etc…)

We are currently in Washington, D.C. We came up for the rally yesterday. It was great. We are about to head out for lunch and then walk around the city and see the touristy sites (Bobby has never been here before). And I need to get some coffee, asap. I bought the new Starbucks VIA yesterday (the flavored kind) and it turns out that it is sweetened… fail. But Bobby likes it.

Lots of things to ask today…

• Halloween plans?
  • Do you procrastinate?
  • Do you eat enough fat?
  • 19 Comments on What’s Up Sunday – 10.31.10 – Happy Halloween!

31 October, 2010 at 12:08 pm (3 years ago)

Happy Halloween Maggie!
      Gosh I remember your Halloween post last year like it was yesterday..and YOU in that pumpkin costume IS freaking adorable.

let’s see…I try and never procrastinate but I sometimes do (if it’s something that really bothers me) tonight, we are taking JJ around our street. He’s so excited. I am looking forward to meeting some of our neighbors. Especially the ones with kids!

and YES I eat plenty of fat. I watch my intake but don’t worry about it either. good stuff.
      Happy Halloween!

2. A.
      31 October, 2010 at 1:23 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Maggie,
      I agree with the fat. I do feel bad a lot though. One meal alone for me (talking only about the fat portions) might be 2-3 whole eggs with tbsp of coconut oil, topped with avocado, hummus and shredded coconut (fat + fat + fat) all in one meal alone (besides the other food). And then I have just as much fat in all other meals and snacks that day. I feel kind of guilty for it. Live and learn I guess. Nice post and cute picture.

• Maggie
        7 November, 2010 at 9:50 pm (3 years ago)

@A.: Do NOT feel guilty!

• A.
          7 November, 2010 at 9:55 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for saying that.
          But I eat a lot of heavy animal products you see…not macrobiotic and balanced and stuff as you.
          I just feel I overdo a lot of things (fats, nuts, etc…) something isn’t working for me anyway cause my body is in turmoil and i have no idea anymore how to fix it :(

3. Dinner at Christin'as
      31 October, 2010 at 5:21 pm (3 years ago)

Aww I love the old Halloween photos popping up in blogland today! Too cute!:)

Ok AGAIN with the eeriness that we keep reading the same online articles! I read that procrastination one and loved it!! Now I’m off to see how much my pets cost! hehe

• Maggie
        7 November, 2010 at 9:50 pm (3 years ago)

@Christina: You should check out reddit.com if you don’t already!

4. melissa @ the delicate place
      31 October, 2010 at 6:57 pm (3 years ago)

oh i def eat enough fat, i get 50-100g daily! granted it’s from things like raw almonds, avocado, EVOO, coconut milk etc but oh yeah it’s my macro of choice :) not a procrastinator at all, i’m a total list freak! i get my stuff done on time :) i am so jealous you got to the rally! i watched it on tv—i LOVE jeff tweedy. seriously.

5. Rachael
      31 October, 2010 at 9:11 pm (3 years ago)

I’m happy you got to go to the rally – I was hoping to be in DC for work, but alas, it was not to be. The crowd seemed pretty diverse – what were your impressions?
      As a child, my mom used to dress me up, year after year, as the Lucky Charms leprechaun. I blame the red hair. My favorite costume, however, happened during a particularly geeky/communist phase. I dressed up as Lenin, and promptly got kicked out of school. Ah, memories…

• Maggie
        7 November, 2010 at 9:52 pm (3 years ago)

@Rachael: Definitely a diverse crowd. I think overall it was just a lot of people that are frustrated with the government, but everyone there definitely had different opinions (everyone from socialists to libertarians). I thought it was really great that so many different people could all get together for one cause ;)

Haha, Lenin! That would be an awesome costume.

6. Marina
      31 October, 2010 at 9:11 pm (3 years ago)

You make an adorable witch! lol I love that costume, your mom is very talented!! Happy Halloween!

7. Eden
      31 October, 2010 at 11:42 pm (3 years ago)

I hope you had fun at DC! I really wished I could go but I’m all the way on the left coast so I couldn’t just pop over. Plus, Foodbuzz is next weekend and I’ve spent a bulk of my travel expenses there.
      do i procrastinate??? thats a hilarious question to ask me cause i’m pretty awful at avoiding it.
      I am always afraid I’ll turn into a pumpkin since I eat so much of it! I remember you told me you turned orange from eat kabocha!

• Maggie
        7 November, 2010 at 9:52 pm (3 years ago)

@Eden: I did turn orange!! I was eating a lot of it every single day though. Like… pounds every single day. I will never do that again.

8. Gaby
      1 November, 2010 at 12:05 am (3 years ago)

Aw such cute pics! I want to dig up some old photo albums from my mom’s house now :p
      Sorry we couldn’t find each other in DC! I hope you and Bobby had fun! We’ll have to compare photos.
      This year for Halloween I was Rainbow Brite. It was cute! I got to wear it twice, though not actually on Halloween. I have almost always ended up with a last minute homemade/ put together costume, but there have been good ones throughout the years because I always had a closet full of gymnastics and dance outfits.

I for sure get TONS of fat! I tell people it’s all about the quality of the fat and source, just like your article said. I’ve gone through phases in the past where I was really meticulous about tracking my food and I almost always get over 100 grams or at least 40-50% of my calories from fat, but it’s always from things like olive oil, nuts and nut butters. The whole “serving size” on nuts is ridiculous lol, a few lbs of almonds will last me maybe a week. I also love EB! I think it’s something about the saltiness on toast that just pairs perfectly with jelly :)

9. Kath (Eating for Living)
      1 November, 2010 at 6:41 am (3 years ago)

You look lovely in that witch costume! We didn’t have a Halloween tradition in Germany until recently, so it wasn’t until I started studying when I visited a Halloween party for the first time. Last year I went as a corpse, with an old nightgown and painted cuts on my throat and lower arms.

Happy Halloween!

10. steve powell
      1 November, 2010 at 1:46 pm (3 years ago)

I think that Maggie’s costumes are both super cute, but she does make for an awesome pumpkin! Hope that you all enjoyed a great Halloween!

11. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan
      1 November, 2010 at 7:45 pm (3 years ago)

Subjunctive mood shows up so rarely in surface forms that when it DOES have a differing proper expression (like “were” instead of “was”), I consider it imperative. :)

12. Krista
      2 November, 2010 at 8:31 am (3 years ago)

Great halloween photos, Maggie! I’m off to check out some of the links you posted about! Have a great Tuesday… :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on What’s Up Sunday – 10.31.10 – Happy Halloween!

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619