Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

healthy monday Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

Healthy Monday is a public health initiative founded in 2005 in association with Johns Hopkins University, Columbia University, and Syracuse University. HM’s goal is to end chronic preventable disease in the U.S. by offering people and organizations a weekly prompt to start and sustain healthy behaviors, intentions, actions and initiatives. For most Americans, the week begins on Monday. Studies suggest we are more likely to maintain behaviors begun on Monday throughout the week. That makes Monday the perfect day to make a change for your health and the health of our planet.

This past weekend I went down to Washington, D.C. for the “Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear”. It was really a blast. I got to see my good friend Coco (wish we’d had more time to hang out though) and Bobby and I toured the city on foot for most of Sunday. Why did I go? I am not a liberal, but I am fed up with our government. I also have a secret crush on Stephen Colbert. While I was there, I saw tons of great signs, including…

food not bombs maggie coco 400x292 Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

Food Not Bombs. Their motto:

Food Not Bombs shares free vegan and vegetarian meals with the hungry in over 1,000 cities around the world to protest war, poverty and the destruction of the environment. With over a billion people going hungry each day how can we spend another dollar on war?

I actually bought a book from the guy (C.T. Lawrence Butler) – who is a founder of Food Not Bombs (not the Food Not Bombs book, but a different one on consensus). Coco and I also got buttons.

food not bombs 400x269 Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

Source.

Since today is Meatless Monday anyway, here are my Healthy Monday tips:

1. Try eating less meat (it’s more sustainable). Not no meat, just less!
  2. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter or food bank. I need to do this one myself – I have not been actively volunteering since college icon sad Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs
  3. Check out Food Not Bombs – they probably have a local chapter in your area. If not, maybe you can start one.

For more of my tips, check out the Healthy Monday series.

What are your healthy monday tips for today?

11 Comments on Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

1. Lisa @ I'm an Okie
    1 November, 2010 at 10:25 am (3 years ago)

how fun! I bet the rally was a BLAST!

I have recently begun eating less meat–for example, instead of chicken in quesadillas, I’ve just been adding black beans.

2. Biz
    1 November, 2010 at 11:59 am (3 years ago)

I love D.C. – I lived in Virginia many many years ago and loved hanging out in Georgetown!

Love your idea to volunteer – I haven’t done that since I moved to my new town – and that was 9 years ago! :(

3. Rebeca Lynda
    1 November, 2010 at 12:53 pm (3 years ago)

Oh man… I wanted to go but the lines at my metro station were unbelievable!

Thanks for sharing about this organization. It sounds really cool, and I, too, have been looking for some ways to start volunteering regularly as well.

4. Rachel
    1 November, 2010 at 2:04 pm (3 years ago)

Food not Bombs – excellent. I’ve never heard of the group before but sounds like they’re doing good work!

5. Sagan
    1 November, 2010 at 7:35 pm (3 years ago)

I’d never heard of that orgnization! Such a lovely concept :)

6. Dana
    1 November, 2010 at 8:43 pm (3 years ago)

I love how you put volunteering! I cant wait until I have some free time again so i can volunteer

7. clare
    1 November, 2010 at 11:34 pm (3 years ago)

My Monday health thing is to take a bath in Epsom salts. After two days of tough yoga practices my muscles welcome this release! <3 Monday baths. :)

• Maggie
      7 November, 2010 at 9:44 pm (3 years ago)

@Clare: Ooo I want to do this right now. Thanks for the idea :)

8. Stephanie
    2 November, 2010 at 1:45 pm (3 years ago)

It’s been so long since I volunteered, too, and it has been perpetually on my list for what seems like forever. I’m going to check out this group. Thanks for the info.

My healthy Monday tip is to start the day with a quick walk. I find that it puts me in a good mood to start the work week.

9. Krista
    2 November, 2010 at 1:54 pm (3 years ago)

Volunteering is something I used to do alot of, but I’m just too busy with the kids now. Once they’re older I plan on getting back on track with that….

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Healthy Monday Tip #3: Food Not Bombs

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619