How to Get Out of a Funk

**If you missed, it, I announced the winner of the CSN giveaway here.**

I am in kind of a funk today. I know why, but I can’t seem to shake it. I get in funks for two main reasons – being annoyed at someone (or someone being annoyed at me) and my stomach. I used to get in funks over bad meals (being disappointed in what I got) but I don’t really care about food enough anymore to let it ruin my day. Here are my semi-unconventional tips to get out of a funk.

How to Get Out of a Funk

Drink some coffee. I don’t believe that coffee is bad for you (in moderation). I have about one cup a day and I’m perfectly fine. It also tastes good, so that cheers me up. And it gives me energy so that I want to do something. Something like…

Clean your house. Cleaning is a great distraction. If I am pissed at you, just point me towards a messy or dirty area of my apartment and I will probably come back 15 minutes later having forgotten why I was feeling funky in the first place. If I need to clean the house quickly I will try to get mad at something so that I want to clean. I kid, I kid. But I’m not kidding when I say that cleaning is therapeutic for funky moods.

cleaning How to Get Out of a Funk

Source.

Organize. This is like the cleaning thing. Organizing is very soothing (if you like it). Humans like order – did you know that the reason that some things sound pretty to us (think Mozart) is because of the organization of the sounds? If you want to get scientific, the physics behind a major chord is much more organized than the physics behind, say, nails on a chalkboard. So organizing = happiness = getting out of a funk.

music 400x287 How to Get Out of a Funk

Source.

Throw crap away. This is also related to the cleaning and organizing thing icon biggrin How to Get Out of a Funk When you throw away old papers that will never be of use, throw away your funk too. Throwing sh*t out gets things off your mind. When you have less to think about, you’re probably less stressed, and thus… feeling less funky.

Get a manicure. Pampering is always a good way to get in a better mood!

Blog. Even if you don’t publish what you write, just write it all out. It can be really freeing to get all the crap out of you head and onto paper. This could be yet another way of “organizing” because you are organizing what’s going on in your head. You don’t even have to write about why you are pissy, just write something random. Maybe you can write a story about two fat cats that like to drool on your nice couch.

All of these things are basically saying…

Distract yourself, forget about it, throw away the funk, and organize something because organizing makes people happy.

I actually did all of these things this morning, in that order, except for the manicure part… because I already got a manicure on Tuesday. It’s still going strong. And now I am mostly out of my funk. Especially now that I have blogged about it.

How do YOU get out of a funk?

17 Comments on How to Get Out of a Funk

1. Beth @ To the Fullest
    4 November, 2010 at 9:28 am (3 years ago)

Fabulous tips, as usual. Thanks, Maggie! I hope you climb out of your funk today! :)

4 November, 2010 at 10:01 am (3 years ago)

I like throwing away things!!! :)

3. Rose
    4 November, 2010 at 10:24 am (3 years ago)

Great article! These are all things I use to destress and stay calm! Journaling really helps.

4. Rachel
    4 November, 2010 at 12:47 pm (3 years ago)

All those sound like great ways to cheer up! I often go on a cleaning/organizing rampage in the boat and I always feel better afterward. Blogging helps too. Sometimes just sitting, enjoying a leisurely breakfast or lunch, and maybe reading give me a real boost.
    Great post!

5. Melissa
    4 November, 2010 at 1:55 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve been getting in such a funk lately, too, and I think it’s because I’m letting the stupid little things make me stressed and drive me insane. It also doesn’t help that I literally don’t know ANYONE in my new state. Blah.

Running is keeping me sane though, and so is working on my blog/site improvements haha hiring a designer for it was one of the most awesome things I’ve ever done! :)

• Maggie
      7 November, 2010 at 9:41 pm (3 years ago)

@Melissa: It is always sucky to be in a new place and feel like you don’t have a good group of people that you can rely on. That’s how I felt in CA! It’s much better in NYC… more friends, and more things to do. I hope you meet some fun people soon :)

6. Krista
    4 November, 2010 at 2:00 pm (3 years ago)

Funnily enough, cleaning puts me IN a funk! LOL The best thing for me to do is tuck in with a good book or to get out of the house, even for just a short walk around the block. I like the organizing idea….gonna try that one!

7. Stephanie
    4 November, 2010 at 3:46 pm (3 years ago)

Cleaning and throwing stuff out usually helps me. So does a good old fashioned workout. But sometimes the funk lingers and I’ll read a book and just ride it out.

Soon enough you’ll be back to feeling like yourself :)

8. Alina @ Duty Free Foodie
    4 November, 2010 at 4:28 pm (3 years ago)

I like your ideas! Cleaning is really hard for me to make myself do, but I agree that once I do it I feel better. Also, I am a mild hoarder, but when I get rid of a lot of stuff and de-clutter in a big way, I feel a huge sense of relief and a boost in my mood for sure.

I like reading as well, and workouts often make me feel better.

9. Ella
    4 November, 2010 at 6:18 pm (3 years ago)

I really like the way that this blog is going! Great tips, and very much need at the moment. Thank you so much.

10. Ella
    4 November, 2010 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

whoops. that should be needed. See? stress has taken a toll on my spelling for sure :)

• Maggie
      7 November, 2010 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

@Ella: Thanks for the comments! Always love hearing that my posts are useful :) :)

11. Kim
    4 November, 2010 at 11:39 pm (3 years ago)

Cleaning and organizing is SO therapeutic for me. I also love making a list when I’m really anxious. It clears my head. If I’m relaxed enough, a good nap is wondrous, especially if the kitties cuddle with me. Funks are hard. Some of them just have to run their course, ya know? A walk is sometimes helpful, or a phone call with the right person :)

12. Biz
    5 November, 2010 at 3:30 pm (3 years ago)

Love the flashback Maggie! It’s surprising how many things I don’t remember until I look back on my blog – and you and I had hardly any readers in the beginning!

Hope you have a great weekend!!

• Maggie
      7 November, 2010 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

@Biz: Crazy how time flies. We’ve been blogging for so long now!

13. Shelby
    5 November, 2010 at 9:49 pm (3 years ago)

Oh my gosh, I love throwing away things! Whenever I’m bored I organize and always feel much better with a cleaning spree.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on How to Get Out of a Funk

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619