I usually do these Weekend Links of Love on Saturday or Sunday, but I missed it… so I’m doing it Monday Each week I bookmark my favorite interesting articles online and post them here. They’re usually food- or health-related, but sometimes they are completely random. This week’s links have a vegetarian bias, since I am a veggie now. (3+ weeks!)
And I don’t have time to list them out by category, so they are all lumped together. Enjoy!
- Law Suit Says Claims Food Pyramid is Illegal Because It Lacks a Vegetarian Alternative
- In case you are looking for a vegetarian food pyramid alternative (see link above), check out Power Plate – it’s a food pyramid based on plants with no animal products. I personally think that most people have to eat a few animal products to stay healthy – for example, pasture-raised eggs (boy are they delicious) or the occasional bowl of yogurt – but this is a great option if you’re looking to base your diet on plant products.
- Foods to Avoid if You Are Hypothyroid (like me!). Unfortunately some of my favorites are on this list – broccoli is not thyroid0-friendly, apparently. Sucks.
- Georgia Man Fined for Growing Vegetables
- 8 Conspiracy Theories About Health That The Mainstream Media Has Been Forced To Admit Are Actually True. I wonder what the next will be.
- Nutrition Advice From the China Study
- U.S. plan aims to make school meals more healthful
Had to break this one out because it’s so interesting:
- TED Talk: Keep your goals to yourself. It turns out that people who talk about their goals all the time are actually *less* likely to achieve their goals. So that annoying coworker who keeps talking about how she wants to lose weight? Well if she shut up about it it would be more likely to happen. It’s because by saying it out loud you feel like you are closer to your goal – so you feel like you don’t need to put as much effort in to achieving it. It’s a short talk (~3 minutes) and well worth the watch.