The other weekend Bobby and I made it out of the house early enough on a Sunday to go to meeting. Usually we stay in on weekend mornings, choosing to clean (me), sleep (him), eat (both of us), or do other fun things to pass the time. That one Sunday that we made it out though, we were quite hungry by the end of our Sunday morning silence. (For more info on meeting/Quakers click here.) We headed to Whole Foods for brunch where I stumbled upon one of my new favorite simple recipes.
Indian Brown Rice Recipe (Whole Foods-Inspired Recipe)
I made sure to go back to the hot food bar and copy down the ingredients. Which I will now share with you.
- 1 rice cooker cup brown rice (I used brown basmati) (1 rice cooker cup ~ 3/4 of a regular cup. I don’t know why the cup is a different size.)
- 2 rice cooker cups of water (or amount required by your rice cooker / rice packaging)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons ghee or butter*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill (or other green spice – a bayleaf maybe, or oregano, etc…)
*Vegans can substitute oil instead of butter/ghee.
- Toss everything in your rice cooker. Mix. Press “start”.
- Wait until rice is done. Mix again, and eat.
It’s a very simple recipe with great results. I hope you enjoy it.
Do you like basmati rice? Do you like Indian food?
I generally don’t like Indian food, but I do love basmati rice. My friend recently made mutter paneer that I *did* actually like though, so maybe I am coming around.
Did you watch the superbowl?
I did! I couldn’t follow it at all, but I thought that one of the coaches looked like Foreman (from House) and I thought the Black Eyed Peas were absolutely horrible.