I can’t believe it’s February 21st already! A year ago today…
- Perfect Sunday. Quote: “And now I will either go get frozen yogurt or relax in front of the olympics. I don’t know how much I like the olympics. It seems like everyone in them has serious food or body issues. Did you notice that?”
Onto the link love.
Food and Recipe Links
- Carrots, Linguini, Orange, and Raisin salad. I really like SaladPride’s blog. (And plus, he’s Italian! If you didn’t know, I took 6 semesters of Italian in college and for my graduation present to myself, Bobby and I went to Italy – Venezia – for 2 weeks.)
- Squash, Lentil, Chickpea, Carrot Stew. I seem to be linking to The Dainty Pig every week. I haven’t yet tried the other recipes I’ve linked to, but I really will soon. I have been a cooking slacker lately. She also made Kabocha Cake in the rice cooker that I MUST TRY.
- Detox Salad from Jennifer Galardi. She is one of my most favorite workout instructors (videos, not real life – I’ve never been to a real live class of hers). I just recently found out that she has a blog (not updated a lot) and it has some yummy healthy recipes.
- Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice. Need I say more?! I found this recipe when I was browsing various paleo blogs. (No, I’m not going paleo.) I also liked this Roasted Curried Cauliflower recipe, also from Nom Nom Paleo.
- Protein Ice Cream! From more of my paleo/low-carb browsing. (No, I’m not going low carb.)
- Coco’s single-serving chocolate cake. Nommy nom nom.
- 6 Surprisingly Effective Treatments for Depression. Cool graph of depression treatments – the x-axis is popularity and the y-axis is effectiveness.
- Out of Control: A True Story of Binge Eating. Good article in the NYTimes from early 2007.
- The Oil Cleansing Method. This is an interesting skin-care method that I just found out about. I haven’t tried it yet but I was wondering if any of you had? My skin has actually been fabulous lately because I haven’t been eating much/any sugar. But I’m still curious about this oil cleansing thing.
- Complete Notes to Good Calories, Bad Calories. Missed my post last week? Go read that, and then read this summary of Gary Taubes’ book. It’s an interesting point of view, and while I don’t fully agree with him, I do agree that current medical research is not really focusing on what is important in the battle against obesity. Yes, I did just say battle, Jillian.
I think that is about it. I am going to try to do more posts this week; I have been swamped with work, and then I had an IBS-C attack last week (Weds/Thurs) that I think was due to stress. I’m chilling out now, but it’s something I gotta work on. Thank goodness for days off: happy President’s Day! Did you know that Presidents’ Day is actually celebrating Washington’s birthday? It’s okay to spell it Presidents Day, President’s Day, Presidents’ Day, or just Washington’s Birthday. His actual birthday was February 22 (born 1732 – he died December 14, 1799 at age 67) but we celebrate his birthday on the third Monday in February so we can have a long weekend (see the Uniform Monday Holiday Act – oh, the important issues our elected officials debate over). It will never actually land on his real birthday because of this – it’ll always be between February 15 – 21. The day was first celebrated in 1880.
What did you do with your holiday weekend?
My sister came to visit (she did a guest post for me once on running) and so did Bobby’s and my good friend from college. Julia is a vegetarian/vegan and our friend is vegetarian so we went to a bunch of good places. Friday night was Gobo with Julia, then Saturday afternoon we went to Brooklyn (Williamsburg) for Urban Rustic, then Saturday night was Good Health Cafe. Sunday they both left and Bobby and I had a non-vegetarian cheat day (we have decided to take one day every other week or so and eat meat – but we find that when we do this the meat is strangely disappointing). We went to China Fun for dinner and our “cheat” was beef fried rice (we only eat beef for both health and humane reasons – read Eating Animals if you are confused by that). During the day on Sunday we went to Ikea in Brooklyn and took a really cool water taxi.