America Wakes Up (Sugar = Evil)

Finally, health writers have cottoned on to what I’ve been saying all along. (Or maybe publications have stopped yielding to big-money’s interests – like the Sugar Association, the Corn Farmers Association, and Big Pharma – to name just a few.)

sugar is bad America Wakes Up (Sugar = Evil)

Is Sugar Toxic? (NYTimes Mag article by Gary Taubes)

Can sugar be poisonous? (CBS)

Demonizing Sugar, Bipolar Disorder and The Travails Of Big Pharma (Matthew Herper, Forbes Blog)

These are just a few of the numerous articles on Google News today that illuminate this “new” finding – that sugar is the worst foodthing we can be consuming. No, the cause of our myriad problems is not saturated fat, it’s not animal protein, and it’s certainly not a lack of grains. In fact, our steady decline in health can likely be attributed to the very thing that we have been ignoring: sugar. Sugar-laden fat-free yogurts line the shelves at my grocery store and my friends tell me proudly about their egg-white omelettes cooked in Pam (no egg whites don’t have sugar – I’m alluding to the demonization of fat here). Fat-free frozen yogurt shops are on just about every block here in Manhattan and fat-free vegans extol the benefits of their diets. No wonder our health isn’t getting any better.

Stop with the sugar! Processed carbs, even processed “whole wheat” carbs, fall into this category for me. (Not sayin’ I never eat these things! But I admit they’re sugar.)

08 eggs and bacon1 America Wakes Up (Sugar = Evil)

Now pass the bacon, please.

More “sugar is evil” talk here.

16 Comments on America Wakes Up (Sugar = Evil)

1. Lisa @ I'm an Okie
    19 April, 2011 at 2:55 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve needed these articles. I know that sugar is the devil, but I have been consuming a lot of it lately. and it’s truly addictive. Time to break myself off the habit.

• Maggie
      19 April, 2011 at 3:27 pm (3 years ago)

@Lisa: So addictive! If you get a chance you should read this book called Sugar Blues – it’s very illuminating.

2. Eimear Rose
    19 April, 2011 at 3:22 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing the articles, I already share your views, although I do eat a small amount of sugar once or twice a week. So, does this mean you’re not veggie any more? It’s hard to eat very little grain on a veggie diet.

• Maggie
      19 April, 2011 at 3:26 pm (3 years ago)

@Eimear: I do eat grains, but I try to avoid processed ones like flour. Rice & oatmeal and the like – I’m all for. I would never give up my scones (flour) but I try not to have them every day ;) And you are right, I’m relaxing my vegetarianism. I eat meat occasionally, just like I used to!

3. Hi
    19 April, 2011 at 3:48 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Maggie,

I like how you say “not saying I don’t eat these things”…cause I’m the same way. I still eat sugar…despite…

Stevia actually is a huge consumption for me. Thoughts on that?

Hmm…I need to consider a more vegetarian lifestyle. I am quite heavy on animal products. A typical day will include 2 whole eggs, a serving or 2 of dairy, and a 3-5 oz portion of chicken or wild fish. Perhaps I am going overboard on these heavy items.

• Maggie
      19 April, 2011 at 3:52 pm (3 years ago)

@Hi: I love stevia! I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Your animal product intake doesn’t seem high to me. I have several eggs each day, plus dairy, and then when I have meat I have beef or pork (not a fan of chicken). I don’t think that’s too heavy!

• Hi
        19 April, 2011 at 4:15 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks. I don’t know what to think anymore. I eat fairly heavy every day. And people say yes to grains or no to grains. I have terrible IBS and have no idea how to control it anymore. Its driving me completely crazy.

I eat a ton of sweet potatoes and butternut squash too actually (I eat both of them on a daily basis). Too many starches?

I can’t seem to figure out what is my real trigger. The animal products. The fat. The grains. The starches. The consistent eating.
        I have no idea and its causing me quite a lot of distress and poor health. I’ve lost a lot of weight due to this and now I’m in a position of somehow needing to gain while figuring it out. Trying to gain weight when dealing with this is hard – not sure if I ignore it and just focus on the weight gain, or not.

Its amazing how different sources will tell you different things also. For example, I suffer back pain due to severe gas build-up in my body (yeah, sorry so much TMI), and I can’t pinpoint how to rid this gas from me, or what foods trigger it, because apparently every source will say eat this and not that and overlap. There’s no clarity. And I cannot pinpoint myself.

Basically I give up on nutrition! Nothing seems to work and I fall further into distress!

• Maggie
          19 April, 2011 at 4:17 pm (3 years ago)

Could it be the squash? Squash always upsets my IBS something terrible. I love squash, but I can only eat a little bit of it. One thing that almost never upsets my stomach is rice with butter. It’s filling and doesn’t feel too “heavy”.

• Hi
          19 April, 2011 at 7:46 pm (3 years ago)

Not sure…
          Hmm…any other foods that don’t upset your tummy? I’m willing to experiment with anything at this point. Meal and snack suggestions? The trouble is that I have severe gas buildup in my body now that contributes to severe back pain, constipation, and chest pressure. So I am at a loss as to how to relieve my body of this intense condition (without losing weight!). I’m in a quandry! I do know that I have to give myself time to adapt and not continously switch things all over the place…I’m slightly stubborn (the pain is quite severe!).

4. Madelyne
    20 April, 2011 at 12:51 am (3 years ago)

I agree but haven’t people been writing about how sugar is bad for years?

• Maggie
      20 April, 2011 at 8:15 am (3 years ago)

@Madelyne: I suppose they have! But it seems like mainstream media ignores it and focuses on the importance of eating a low-fat and fat-free diet (which I personally think is counterproductive). So I’m glad that “sugar = evil” might become a more popular idea. And it’s not just that sugar is bad… it may be the cause of just about every (preventable) health problem Western society faces.

5. Reader
    20 April, 2011 at 11:54 am (3 years ago)

Sugar is not evil, just as bacon and dairy and whatever else someone wants to blame poor nutritional judgment on. I’m a reader, but you flip-flop so much it can get confusing to know where you stand. You eat meat and talk about how great that is, then you give up meat because it’s evil, etc.

Everything in moderation people. Smart choices for what works for you–don’t condemn a whole group just because some poor choices exist. Fruit is natural, Fruit Loops are not.

The end.

• Maggie
      20 April, 2011 at 11:56 am (3 years ago)

@Reader: Thanks for your comment. Feel free to stop reading if you don’t like what I have to say ;) I don’t mind!

6. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    21 April, 2011 at 6:35 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you for posting this! I couldn’t agree more with what you said! Also, I always find that you sound more like somebody from the paleo than vegetarian (or vegan) camp, telling from your argumentation. (This doesn’t mean at all that I don’t respect and appreciate your vegetarian tendencies! I’ve been a flexetarian myself for many years, and would love and have tried to become vegetarian, but it doesn’t work for me.) Great post! :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on America Wakes Up (Sugar = Evil)