Healthy Eating Questions

Got this little questionnaire from Kath. Enjoy!

Q: What do you consider healthy eating?

The most important part of healthy eating is being happy with what you are eating and not stressing out about it. This matters more than whether or not sugar is evil (I think it is but I would never give up any food group), whether or not you’re a vegetarian (I’m not), whether or not you think fat is healthy (I do), etc…

But if you want more specifics than that, here is my philosophy: on the whole, I think it’s important to minimize processed foods in your diet and eat what you want, in moderation. If your mind is happy, usually your body will follow!

I also like Michael Pollan’s quote, “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

Q: Do you consider your diet healthy?

In general, yes. Much more so now than in the past, anyway.

Q: What’s your favorite healthy food?

I don’t like labels. So my “general” favorite foods are: butter, bacon, broccoli, and burdock. Those all happen to start with B… I also like cabbage and Brussels sprouts, hijiki seaweed, lotus root, papaya salads, and kabocha squash.

Q: What’s one thing you could do to improve your diet?

I could probably skip dessert more icon wink Healthy Eating Questions

What are your answers?

9 Comments on Healthy Eating Questions

1. Hi
    25 April, 2011 at 4:06 pm (4 years ago)

There is a lot I can do to improve my food choices. But also my food habits, like eating too fast and being too stressed about eating.
    Have you ever read either “Ultrametabolism” by Dr. Mark Hyman or “The Maker’s Diet” by Jordan S. Rubin? I am reading some of Rubin’s book and I find it a good read and agreeable.

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:24 pm (4 years ago)

@Hi: I don’t really like to read too many diet books ;) I try to just keep track of what my body likes, and do that :)

• Hi
        2 May, 2011 at 8:40 am (4 years ago)

Hi Maggie,
        I really admire you. I have severe IBS and I’m really underweight. I do not exercise and I basically sit or sleep all day. So, nutritionists and naturopaths…bloggers, etc…they all tell me oh , avoid dairy, avoid ALL bread, avoid grains, avoid nuts, drink smoothies, etc etc…I feel bad because nutritionists tell me this — and maybe then I’d actually gain the weight! And then bloggers say if you do no cardio, don’t eat breads and grains, or how avoiding grains and dairy cured their IBS.
        But, I just want to gain the weight…and so I eat yogurt,,,and I love “food for life” brown rice bread, etc…and I’m sick of it u know? MAYBE it will make my IBS worse…maybe it doesn’t help the weight gain…but I just want to be free u know?
        I may have to go into hospital (i find out soon). bcuz my BMI is legally way way way low. If I go in, I will living on hospital food for FIVE months, cause my BMI is so lw….i’m horrified…aspartame yogurt, bakers white bread, rubbery chicken and pork, bacon, stale breads, deli sodium meat, mashed potatoes from a powder, etc etc…and no choice…will have to do it
        I KNOW it will make my digestive system WORSE and i’ll leave after 5 months much much heavier , having gained on all that crap food
        so so mad at myself for not being more in control and avoiding this situation in the first place…and terrified of what the hospital will do to me…so sad :( and regretful…i will be ruined. and all my own fault :(

• Maggie
          17 May, 2011 at 4:42 pm (3 years ago)

@Hi: If I am going to be brutally honest, you probably should *not* spend any more time reading blogs, especially those that are obsessive – they are obviously having a harmful impact on the way you perceive what you’re eating. It sounds like you’re not getting the nutrients you need, and yes, I agree, going into a hospital may not be the right thing for you (or anyone for that matter). Please please try to find a nutritionist who knows what they are talking about and that can help you. I wish I could be more help myself!! I hope you get what you need.

2. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    25 April, 2011 at 4:35 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you for answering the questions! I really like your approach to healthy eating! And I think I have a similar dilemma: My mind LOVES the idea of veganism, but my body doesn’t … not even vegetarianism. *sigh* So I’ll stick to what you said: “The most important part of healthy eating is being happy with what you are eating and not stressing out about it.”

Thank you for the shout out! :)

3. LauraJayne
    27 April, 2011 at 2:08 pm (4 years ago)

As for the one thing I could do to improve my diet, it would be to eat more during the day and less at night! I’m totally a bedtime-snacker, and I know if I could spread those calories over a day, I’d be way healthier (and less prone to the hungry LauraJayne afternoon and mornings between meals)!

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:25 pm (4 years ago)

@LauraJayne: I have the same problem! I eat way more at night than I do during the day. It bothers my stomach too because it’s hard to sleep when I’m trying to digest. I’m getting better though! Good luck to you too :)

4. Nancy Martin
    9 May, 2011 at 6:34 am (3 years ago)

Some important questions answered!Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

5. Angel
    16 August, 2011 at 6:28 am (3 years ago)

Thx for your help and awsome work on this website.