Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda

I have found the perfect diet soda! And it is homemade diet soda.

03 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda

I just discovered this combo in the last week or so and I am decidedly pleased with it.

I even busted out my DSLR to photograph this lovely healthy diet soda. Without further ado, here is my stevia-sweetened diet soda recipe…

Homemade Diet Soda Recipe

01 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda

Ingredients (serves 1)

• 1 can of seltzer water
  • 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • stevia*, to taste – approximately 1 packet (or equivalent)

Method

1. Mix lemon juice and stevia.
  2. Add seltzer.
  3. Drink!

I know that (normal) diet soda is “bad for you”, but I do indulge in it occasionally. Unfortunately it has been giving me problems recently – within a few minutes after having anything with aspartame/sucralose I get a splitting headache. (Including gum.) I was very excited to discover this prudent and slightly more healthful alternative to my normal Coke Zero treats. My other option was Zevia (a brand of stevia-sweetened diet soda) but since it’s pricey I don’t stock up on it. Seltzer is cheap.

02 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda

Do you drink diet soda? Do you like stevia? Have you tried Zevia or making your own homemade diet soda?

*Note: I’m still using the NuNaturals stevia products and I am so happy with all of them. When I run out I will definitely be ordering more.

14 Comments on Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda

1. carin
    28 April, 2011 at 11:32 pm (4 years ago)

i’ll have to try this! looks good. i have mostly given up diet soda, but every once in awhile the siren song of diet dr. pepper gets me (especially if it’s cherry…) great idea!

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:21 pm (4 years ago)

@carin: same! I love diet dr. pepper… the cherry vanilla is especially seductive.

2. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    29 April, 2011 at 9:00 am (4 years ago)

I somtimes make lemonade like this at home! I don’t use stevia, though, because it isn’t sold in Germany, but another aspartame-free sweetener.

• Maggie
      17 May, 2011 at 3:40 pm (4 years ago)

@Kath: I am going to France next month (2.5 weeks!)… maybe I can bring along some stevia and mail it to you if you want!

• Kath (My Funny Little Life)
        17 May, 2011 at 4:13 pm (4 years ago)

Wow, you’ll be quite close to me then! :D Thank you so much for thinking of me, I appreciate this a lot! :) Anyway, I just saw that I can order stevia on Amazon (.de) – regular shops and supermarkets may not have it, but Amazon does! :D So please don’t stress because of me! :)

3. Mimi (Gingersnaps)
    29 April, 2011 at 2:38 pm (4 years ago)

This looks lovely!

You know that powdered Liptons iced tea? I used to mix it with stevia and seltzer water. It was yummy.

Stevia rocks…as long as it’s the specific brands I like. Some are gross.

I try not to drink too much diet soda ($$$), but I do like it. Regular soda makes my teeth hurt when I think about it. And I don’t care if it’s “natural cane sugar” either.

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:23 pm (4 years ago)

@Mimi: Yeah, NuNaturals is my favorite so far. I do not like the TJ’s one at all!

4. Joy
    30 April, 2011 at 11:29 am (4 years ago)

I love diet soda and I make home made lemonade all the time never thought to combine the two!
    Where do you get that lemon juice?

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:23 pm (4 years ago)

@Joy: I got it at Whole Foods but I have also seen it at some other local natural food stores (Health Nuts, for example).

5. whitney
    1 May, 2011 at 11:22 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, I drink diet soda all the time. I am so addicted. Thanks for sharing this idea. Maybe it will help me.

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:24 pm (4 years ago)

@whitney: definitely try it! Let me know if you like it :)

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda