Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda :-)

I have found the perfect diet soda! And it is homemade!

03 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda : )

I just discovered this combo in the last week or so and I am decidedly pleased with it.

I even busted out my DSLR to photograph this lovely healthy diet soda. My cell phone pics are not that classy. Without further ado, here is my stevia-sweetened diet soda recipe…

Homemade Diet Soda Recipe

01 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda : )

Ingredients (serves 1)

• 1 can of seltzer water
  • 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • stevia*, to taste – approximately 1 packet (or equivalent)

Method

1. Mix lemon juice and stevia.
  2. Add seltzer.
  3. Drink!

I know that (normal) diet soda is “bad for you”, but I do indulge in it (and much enjoy it) occasionally. I am not perfect, and I’m okay with that icon wink Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda : ) So I will drink my diet soda if I want. Unfortunately it has been giving me problems recently – within a few minutes after having anything with aspartame/sucralose I get a splitting headache. (Including gum with aspartame! How sad.) So I was very excited to discover this prudent and slightly more healthful alternative to my normal Coke Zero treats. My other option was Zevia (a brand of stevia-sweetened diet soda) but since it’s pricey I don’t stock up on it. Seltzer, on the other hand, is cheap.

02 diet soda Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda : )

Do you drink diet soda? Do you like stevia? Have you tried Zevia or making your own homemade diet soda?

*Note: I’m still using the NuNaturals stevia products and I am so happy with all of them. When I run out I will definitely be ordering more.

14 Comments on Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda :-)

1. carin
    28 April, 2011 at 11:32 pm (4 years ago)

i’ll have to try this! looks good. i have mostly given up diet soda, but every once in awhile the siren song of diet dr. pepper gets me (especially if it’s cherry…) great idea!

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:21 pm (4 years ago)

@carin: same! I love diet dr. pepper… the cherry vanilla is especially seductive.

2. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    29 April, 2011 at 9:00 am (4 years ago)

I somtimes make lemonade like this at home! I don’t use stevia, though, because it isn’t sold in Germany, but another aspartame-free sweetener.

• Maggie
      17 May, 2011 at 3:40 pm (4 years ago)

@Kath: I am going to France next month (2.5 weeks!)… maybe I can bring along some stevia and mail it to you if you want!

• Kath (My Funny Little Life)
        17 May, 2011 at 4:13 pm (4 years ago)

Wow, you’ll be quite close to me then! :D Thank you so much for thinking of me, I appreciate this a lot! :) Anyway, I just saw that I can order stevia on Amazon (.de) – regular shops and supermarkets may not have it, but Amazon does! :D So please don’t stress because of me! :)

3. Mimi (Gingersnaps)
    29 April, 2011 at 2:38 pm (4 years ago)

This looks lovely!

You know that powdered Liptons iced tea? I used to mix it with stevia and seltzer water. It was yummy.

Stevia rocks…as long as it’s the specific brands I like. Some are gross.

I try not to drink too much diet soda ($$$), but I do like it. Regular soda makes my teeth hurt when I think about it. And I don’t care if it’s “natural cane sugar” either.

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:23 pm (4 years ago)

@Mimi: Yeah, NuNaturals is my favorite so far. I do not like the TJ’s one at all!

4. Joy
    30 April, 2011 at 11:29 am (4 years ago)

I love diet soda and I make home made lemonade all the time never thought to combine the two!
    Where do you get that lemon juice?

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:23 pm (4 years ago)

@Joy: I got it at Whole Foods but I have also seen it at some other local natural food stores (Health Nuts, for example).

5. whitney
    1 May, 2011 at 11:22 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, I drink diet soda all the time. I am so addicted. Thanks for sharing this idea. Maybe it will help me.

• Maggie
      1 May, 2011 at 11:24 pm (4 years ago)

@whitney: definitely try it! Let me know if you like it :)

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Guilt Free Homemade Diet Soda :-)