Perfection Always Includes Bacon (+ Salad)

I adore bacon, as you all probably know. It is the one thing that always prevents me from sticking to my vegetarian guns. My favorite salad includes bacon (but of course). There is a cafe near my apartment that has an unlimited salad deal (as many toppings as you want for $7.99) and I got it for lunch today. (The place is Cafe Metro.) (Next to the salad is my homemade diet soda that I’m obsessed with.)

05 cafe metro salad 400x265 Perfection Always Includes Bacon (+ Salad)

There’s also one of these cafes a few blocks from my office, so when I don’t bring my lunch I usually get this salad.

Salad Ingredients:

• Base: romaine
  • 3 premium toppings: bacon, whole egg, tuna (usually I get avocado instead of tuna but they were out)
  • Other toppings (unlimited): extra broccoli, beets, cucumber, tomato, mushroom, roasted red pepper (I may be forgetting some…)
  • Dressing: low-fat chipotle ranch (I don’t think this is actually low fat in any way. But it IS delicious.)
  • Preparation: CHOPPED

Yum. A great lunch for a lazy Saturday. Bobby got a sandwich from Macaron – the “Paris” – ham de “Paris”, gruyere cheese, light homemade mayonnaise, cornichon (French pickle), lettuce. Which is quite fitting because…

We are going to Paris next month! Our friend is getting married in France and we decided to go and turn it into a vacation. So excited. I have to break out Rosetta Stone and brush up on my French. Here are some useful phrases:

• Une table pour deux près de la fenêtre s’il vous plaît.
  • Il voudrias une soupe à l’oignon mais moi, je préfère une salade avant le repas.
  • Connaissez-vous un café où nous pouvons prendre une glace et une tasse de thé?
  • Ce champagne me fait tourner la tête.
  • Pourquoi ne pas rester une semaine de plus?
  • Je voudrais de bacon s’il vous plaît.

Bon week-end! Quel est votre ingrédient préféré pour une salade? (What is your favorite salad ingredient?)

14 Comments on Perfection Always Includes Bacon (+ Salad)

1. tea-bag
    14 May, 2011 at 2:55 pm (4 years ago)

hmmm, my favorite salad ingrediet is probably mustard, salsa, or a runny egg! i’ve never liked salad dressing & all 3 of these things spice up my salads & add another flavor dimension. i especially like the mustard – basically everything i eat is just to get more mustard in my diet! :)

2. Coco
    14 May, 2011 at 3:40 pm (4 years ago)

You are going to Paris for a wedding? So exciting! What about the japan trip? Is it cancelled?
    Love that salad!

• Maggie
      14 May, 2011 at 5:31 pm (4 years ago)

@Coco: We had to cancel Japan because of the earthquake :( But hopefully we will go later in the year.

3. Panda
    14 May, 2011 at 5:39 pm (4 years ago)

Is it the salty that makes you like bacon? I don’t remember much of the pre-vegetarian food I used to eat because I have been vegie for so long, but I do like salty cheese on salad!

• Maggie
      14 May, 2011 at 5:52 pm (4 years ago)

@Panda: I think it might be the fat? I’m not sure… :) I try getting rid of the bacon craving with fake bacon sometimes but it doesn’t work :P

4. sophia
    14 May, 2011 at 11:14 pm (4 years ago)

Oh how lucky, Maggie!! Please continue to post over there, or at least a recap. I love travel posts. :-)

My favorite salad ingredient = goat cheese, feta cheese, or fresh mozzarella. Candied nuts rock too, and of course so does crispy bacon. A runny egg would be divine, too.

5. Tori (Fresh Fruition)
    15 May, 2011 at 11:36 am (4 years ago)

This looks yummy! I’ll have to try this, just replacing the meats with tempeh!

I wish I could go to Paris, too! Do you have anything already planned out that you know you want to see there?

• Maggie
      21 May, 2011 at 10:25 am (4 years ago)

@Tori: We don’t have much planned yet! We are going to a wedding outside of paris so I think we’ll stay there for about 2 days (and maybe stay 1 night at a town on the way to the wedding). We want to go to the Louvre once we get back to Paris… but I don’t know what else! If you have any suggestions I would love them :)

• Tori (Fresh Fruition)
        21 May, 2011 at 10:50 am (4 years ago)

Well I’m an art major so I would love to see all of the amazing museums filled with famous pieces I’ve learned about in class!

Definitely eat at tons of local restaurants and treat yourself to delicious pastries!

6. clare
    15 May, 2011 at 12:04 pm (4 years ago)

Wow Paris! Amazing! Salad looks delish. Beets…I might have to throw some in my mix soon. Thanks for the reminder.

PS Have you tried these? http://www.frontiercoop.com/prdDisp.php?I=2170&full=y

So not the same, I know, but quick and easy and veg…

• Maggie
      21 May, 2011 at 10:25 am (4 years ago)

@clare: I’m not sure if I’ve tried that brand, but I have tried veggie bacon bits. They are ok – but they don’t compare to the real thing!

7. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    15 May, 2011 at 3:28 pm (4 years ago)

This salad looks wonderful! I’ve never been a fan of bacon, though – I don’t like that much salt. If you like bacon so much, you might really like some of the classical stews I know from home. One northern German recipe my dad loves very much is called “Birnen, Bohnen und Speck”, it’s a soup made from green beans, pears, roasted with bacon and then stewed for some time.

• Maggie
      21 May, 2011 at 10:26 am (4 years ago)

@Kath: I just looked up this recipe and it sounds fantastic. I will have to try it sometime. I will ask my grandmother if she knows it (she’s half German, half Hungarian; her husband was all German!).