We’re Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

If you have any suggestions for places to see or visit in France, please comment below! I have found some things already, but I would love to hear more from people who have been there recently, or especially people that live there.

The last (and only) time I was in Paris I was 7 years old. It was November of 1993 I believe. We stayed with our family friends who were lucky enough to get relocated to France for work. We did a week in Paris and a week with them (near Normandie I believe?).

Note: all photos from Wikipedia unless otherwise noted.

Paris Trip Ideas

1. Saumur. “The historic town is located between the Loire and Thouet rivers, and is surrounded by the vineyards of Saumur itself, Chinon,Bourgueil, Coteaux du Layon, etc. which produce some of France’s finest wines.” – Wikipedia. It’s about 3-4 hours away from Paris. Definitely going here. Beautiful chateau in Saumur:

saumur chateau Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

2. Tours. Between Paris and Saumur. It’s also known for its wines. This is their town hall (!):

tours town hall Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

3. The Louvre. I remember going here when I was 7. I brought back a picture book about Monet and the waterlilies called Linnea in Monet’s Garden. I read that book countless times! I wonder if it’s still at my parents’. For me, books revive memories of when and where I was when I got the book, or was reading it. Another example – reading Harry Potter inspires memories of sitting in bed in the summer with the windows open eating pizza bagels. I used to *love* pizza bagels. I should really make them again.

the louvre Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

linnea monets garden Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

(Book pic from Amazon.)

4. Notre Dame. A gorgeous cathedral. It happens to be famous for its gargoyles. Gargoyles also make me nostalgic. Ha – growing up we had these gargoyle replicas and they had tons of wax on them (I don’t remember if they were candleholders or if they were victims of my brother’s and my wax-coating obsession. What, you didn’t play with candles/fire/wax growing up?). I think we used to tell my sister that’s what she looked like icon biggrin Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

notre dame Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

gargoyle notre dame paris view Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

5. Les Catacombes. An underground ossuary in Paris (“an urn for the bones of the dead” – the root of this word is os, which means bone – like osteoporosis, or ossify). I find bones fascinating, and only slightly creepy.

les catacombes Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

6. The food. I’m sure we will eat lots of delicious things. I don’t want to make the trip about food though! It’s not all that important to me anymore.

croissant Were Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

What are your tips for things to do/see/eat in France/Paris?

P.S. If you missed it this other day, click here to see what I’m using to brush up on my French. (It’s working.)

22 Comments on We’re Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)

1. melissa @ the delicate place
    21 May, 2011 at 12:02 pm (3 years ago)

omg! i’m going again next year to visit my bro in law. it’s my fave city! i have posted about my sites/eats a ton on the blog but i will say go shopping here: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/shopping-nam_loc:708389.html and if you want to have the best house wine and meal for not killing your entire budget, this place is amazing. it’s small and the chef/owner was so kind to us! http://www.lespapillesparis.fr/
    here’s my post about it: http://thedelicateplace.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/day-3-chance-encounter-montmartre/ apparently there is a flea market at the end of the line on the metro? we didn’t make it but it’s worth looking into. i have a bunch of ‘paris’ tagged posts just poke around :)

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

@melissa: OOOOOO awesome!! I didn’t realize that you had gone! I’m going to go poking around now! (Or later today; I want to get out in this glorious weather )

2. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    21 May, 2011 at 12:17 pm (3 years ago)

Paris is awesome! I’ve been there twice and liked it a lot! :D I also love that you put the Linnea book on here, I read one or two of them when I was a child. :)

Although I haven’t been there yet, I’d love to visit the Loire castles (at least some of them) – they must be incredibly beautiful, and I love castles!

You might also want to see Versailles. :)

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:17 pm (3 years ago)

@Kath: Thank you thank you for the recs! Adding them to the list of things to do.

21 May, 2011 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

Check out the carousel in Monte Marte!

• VeggieGirl
      21 May, 2011 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

Oops… I meant Montmartre :D

• Maggie
        22 May, 2011 at 10:09 pm (3 years ago)

@VeggieGirl: Definitely adding to my list!

4. Betherann
    21 May, 2011 at 1:52 pm (3 years ago)

Woooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! ENJOY!

p.s. I love that you include Linnea in your post. I had that book and a doll of her as a kid that I adored!

5. tea-bag
    21 May, 2011 at 7:59 pm (3 years ago)

i have MAJOR travel envy! never been to paris but i want you to take LOTS of pics so that we can see it through your eyes! :)

6. Natalie @ cinnamon bums
    21 May, 2011 at 11:26 pm (3 years ago)

i went to paris for a weekend last fall while i was studying abroad in italy, and one of my favorite places was definitely le sacre du coeur – it’s a church near montmartre! it’s so beautiful and it’s on a hill. i also loved walking by the tuileries gardens (ok my spelling of french words is horrible). DEFINITELY get a CREPE while you’re there – if possible, with goat brie in it, which is SO different and more delicious than anything ive tried in the states. and Rose Bakery – that’s definitely a MUST-VISIT!

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:10 pm (3 years ago)

@Natalie: Awesome! Thank you for the recs :) :)

7. Vicki
    22 May, 2011 at 8:39 am (3 years ago)

Luxembourg Gardens – absolute must. Get some roasted chestnuts and take in the beautiful gardens.
    Eat at Le Souk – best meal of my life. Amazing Morrocan food. So good. The restaurant is in an interesting neighbourhood as well.
    Le Printemps – great department store.

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:13 pm (3 years ago)

@Vicki: Great recs! Definitely going to try Le Souk. I don’t think I’ve ever had Moroccan food.

8. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    22 May, 2011 at 10:07 am (3 years ago)

Musee d’Orsay. My favorite art museum in Europe. :)

Famous falafel stand, l’as du falafel, located on Rue des Rosiers in the 4th arrondissement.

It’s going to be an amazing trip Maggie!

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:12 pm (3 years ago)

@HEAB: ooo great recs! Adding them to my list :)

9. dotty
    22 May, 2011 at 1:15 pm (3 years ago)

last time i was in paris i adores the musee rodin. it’s quieter than other museums we visited and a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the city.

have a great trip!

• Maggie
      22 May, 2011 at 10:10 pm (3 years ago)

@dotty: sounds fantastic – thanks for the rec :)

10. Panda
    23 May, 2011 at 6:46 pm (3 years ago)

These all look like wonderful places to visit! I lost nearly ten pounds on my trip to France however as I hate French food so I existed solely on bread and coffee. That coupled with walking 15 kilometers a day I think did it. Then I promptly gained it back :) I hope you guys have fun!!! I want to see lots of photos when you return!

11. CH
    24 May, 2011 at 2:29 am (3 years ago)

J’adore Paris! It is one of my favorite cities, even though I have only been there twice! One of my favorite things is the Picasso museum — it is incredible (and has a gorgeous courtyard). La Place des Vosges is also beautiful and fun. There are so many neighborhoods to explore! When will you be there? I’ll be there in early June….

• Maggie
      24 May, 2011 at 2:36 pm (3 years ago)

@Toni: Those look great, thank you!! I like the 2nd one especially about culture – I think a lot of people miss out on stuff like that when they travel.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on We’re Going to Paris! (Travel Links & Ideas)