Garden Beets and Nuggets of Wisdom

I just found this very insightful nugget:

The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.

From a fantastic article in the WSJ.

Guess what these are?

dads beets 500x500 Garden Beets and Nuggets of Wisdom

They are steamed beets from my dad’s garden. Tender, sweet, and fresh. The best kind of beets, I think. I’ve never had better. I like eating them plain or topped with yogurt, or in a sandwich. I’ll post the sandwich later.

What’s your favorite way to eat beets? What’s your favorite quote or nugget of wisdom?

9 Comments on Garden Beets and Nuggets of Wisdom

1. the delicate place
    9 August, 2011 at 1:55 pm (3 years ago)

i friggin love beets! i love mine roasted to the point of almost burned with coconut oil. so tasty! i love my iPhone and instagram too :)

2. Jennie (the gf-gf)
    9 August, 2011 at 2:13 pm (3 years ago)

I read the speech by David Foster Wallace around the time he died, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! He was a brilliant writer.

3. clare
    9 August, 2011 at 4:48 pm (3 years ago)

w00t! i’m boiling 3 lbs right now to PICKLE!!!

10 August, 2011 at 10:54 am (3 years ago)

Once I roasted them in the oven with a balsalmic glaze and put on a salad

I think I died and went to foodie heaven!

I like to juice them mostly.

I loved that nugget. What a great one!

5. sophia
    10 August, 2011 at 10:20 pm (3 years ago)

I can only handle beets in small doses. Not too much! Have you ever tried a Guatemalan enchilada? It’s not the Mexican kind, but a tostada with a beet/cabbage salad on top. So good.

• Maggie
      14 August, 2011 at 10:46 am (3 years ago)

@Sophia: I haven’t tried it! That sounds awesome though.

• Maggie
      14 August, 2011 at 10:46 am (3 years ago)

@Biz: Ooo that looks yummy! Thanks for the reminder :)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Garden Beets and Nuggets of Wisdom

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619