It’s been a while since I did one of these… But first an update: NYC is recovering from the hurricane (Irene) that passed through last night. To be honest, not much happened in Manhattan. I think the major damage occurred in the outer boroughs (poor Staten Island) and New Jersey (my mom is without power and water). Our power didn’t even flicker. On the plus side, I did have a mini Reese’s cup yesterday that I got at the hardware store. I love these things.
Our weekend went well. We mostly hung out with our neighbors (friends) and ate good food together. A few of us like to cook and all of us like to eat. This morning I went for a run (a little over 3 miles) after not having run for ages (at least 1.5 years?). It felt great. The subways are still not running so we can only get to places on foot (…or taxi). They probably won’t be running for the morning commute tomorrow so I plan on walking.
After my run this morning (err, afternoon) I did some yoga stretching and took a nice shower. Then we ate brunch together (6 of us) – bacon, eggs with homegrown jalapeno, homemade bread, and some various pastries. (If I didn’t mention it already, we moved into a building where our friends live – so we hang out a lot. Just like college, and it’s great.)
Weekend Link Love – Health & Food
- Garance Dore talks about the NYC ten. (I was victim to this, too.)
- How to cook Real Good Cheap Easy Food.
- I made this turmeric juice recipe (also called jamu). My only change was to use 1/2 a lime (instead of lemon) and I only had 2 pieces of turmeric (thanks, coworker!).
- Made this pumpkin protein cake recipe.
- …And these Healthy Banana Cookies. Will probably use butter in place of the grapeseed oil. (Or bacon grease? I don’t know how bacon grease turns out in cookies – anyone tried it?)
Totally Random Link Love
- Funny but serious comic about how we are like little specks of dust in the universe.
- I might learn a language with this site.
- I really want to check out the old city hall station (also a cool tourist-y idea).