{food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

I’m home today to rest – I ended up with a cold this weekend that I mostly ignored, until it got bad enough that I had to slow down. So here I am, sitting on my bum in front of a computer. (Hm. That’s what I do at my job anyway. Only difference is now I’m at home.) It’s nothing too terrible but I’m exhausted and have a stuffy nose that would probably be annoying to listen to all day. Of course, I also don’t want to get the coworkers sick.

This weekend was a lot of fun, so here are a few highlights. The number one highlight, of course, included my favorite food:

kabocha beef penang curry fried rice thai {food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

That is Penang Curry with Beef on a Bed of Pumpkin. Would you believe that I saw other restaurant goers leaving the kabocha squash (“pumpkin”) as though it was a garnish? I wanted to 1) take it for myself or 2) tell them to try it out. I did neither, and Bobby laughed at me all the way home about my passion for kabocha. (The dish in back is Bobby’s Pineapple Fried Rice, also delicious.) I really liked the curry and I want to get it again (soon). The restaurant was called Yum Yum Too (Hell’s Kitchen). It’s a Thai restaurant, and we went here for lunch yesterday.

The second highlight was that I bought a 1-month pass for unlimited yoga at Yoga Vida this month. I’ve been every day since I got the pass. Not sure if I’ll go today (being sick and all). I can’t decide if it will help me get better or tire me out too much.

yoga vida {food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

(Psst – If any NYC bloggers want to go for yoga together just shoot me an email: maggie (at) thesaladgirl (dot) com.)

Lastly, here is a Mooncake. My coworker brought some in for us all in celebration of a Chinese holiday/season. I don’t remember exactly what she said they were for – anyone know? This Mooncake has a red bean filling which is one of my favorite flavors. She also brought ones filled with green bean. I started eating this and then thought it might be an interesting item to share.

mooncake 400x400 {food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

How was your weekend? Do anything fun?

14 Comments on {food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

1. Jennie (the gf-gf)
    6 September, 2011 at 3:06 pm (3 years ago)

Yum! I love panang curry, but I’ve never seen a restaurant have kabocha squash in it, only green curry. Sounds delicious (and it looks good, too!)

Hope you feel better soon!

• Maggie
      6 September, 2011 at 3:08 pm (3 years ago)

@Jennie: thanks :)

2. Yin
    6 September, 2011 at 3:07 pm (3 years ago)

The food looks delicious! Mooncake, yum! I like the ones without any filling since I’ve never been a filling kind of girl ;) It’s for the Mid-Autumn Festival which is next Monday. As for the story, I never remember whenever I ask my mom about it :P Nothing interesting happened this weekend for me except some running, (bad and uncomfy) yoga, and finished reading a book in my backyard (I rarely go out there).

• Maggie
      6 September, 2011 at 3:08 pm (3 years ago)

@Yin: Ahh, thank you for the info!

3. sophia
    7 September, 2011 at 12:24 am (3 years ago)

oh I love mooncake, but red bean flavor is nasty (in my opinion)! I hope you get to try the lotus seed ones next time. :-)

• Maggie
      7 September, 2011 at 8:47 am (3 years ago)

@sophia: ahh, maybe that is what the green ones were. but i do love red bean in everything!

7 September, 2011 at 2:12 am (3 years ago)

I would be saying the exactly thing it that happens to me with kabocha… you know… I’m all for kabocha as the main dish!!!
    hope you feel better soon!
    I miss you Maggie! ;)

• Maggie
      7 September, 2011 at 8:47 am (3 years ago)

@coco: thanks!! i’m feeling better this morning already. stuffy nose is going away slowly ;)

5. The Delicate Place
    7 September, 2011 at 12:15 pm (3 years ago)

i was still away on vacay over the weekend so i enjoyed the sun and sand :) i’ve eaten 3 lil kabochas and went through 2 big cans of pumpkin already and it’s only the first week of sept. i’m going to be orange soon haha

6. clare
    7 September, 2011 at 3:53 pm (3 years ago)

that is the coolest shape of rice ever!

i ate two varieties of kabocha this week so far, both from my garden. one was a delica and the other a speckled pup. the pup is very “green” tasting, and the delica is drier and harder. delish.

7. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    7 September, 2011 at 9:29 pm (3 years ago)

8. Alisa
    8 September, 2011 at 12:26 am (3 years ago)

OMG Maggie, this cracks me up. I took a huge break from regular blog reading and have found my way back to your blog again, and what post do I see but Kabocha! I swear the last post I read on your blog was kabocha. It’s like I never left :) Looks fabulous as always and I love a good peanut stew.

9. Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City
    8 September, 2011 at 3:44 pm (3 years ago)

wow that looks amazing – and so good for you! I am just learning to appreciate curry and this looks like something I need to try!!!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on {food, yoga} Kabocha & Yoga Love, aka Labor Day Weekend

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619