8 Foods I Couldn’t Live Without

Ages ago, MDA did a post with almost the same title. ^^ (He did 10 foods.)

So, being the copycat that I am, here are my 8 foods! (They change all the time, but really, these ones are here to stay for good.)

1. Kabocha Squash (you knew that was coming)

8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Kabocha, also known as Japanese Pumpkin, has been a favorite of mine for several years now. I even turned orange at one point because I was eating so much of it. It’s high in beta carotene and vitamins C, B1, and B2.¬†For more on kabocha, read my kabocha FAQ.

2. Bacon

8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Bacon is the food that always keeps me from being a vegetarian. At the moment I am assuredly not a veg-head, but I’ve flirted with vegetarianism, veganism, and macrobiotics in the past. And then I remember bacon, and it’s all over. One important thing to note about bacon though, is that you have to eat the kind without nitrates and nitrites, and preferably organic/hormone-free/antibiotic-free. The nitrates and nitrites especially can contribute to stomach cancer later on in life (something I am genetically predisposed to).

3. Broccoli / Brussels Sprouts (it’s a tie)

brussels1 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Apples with Brussels Sprouts

I love cruciferous veggies! They’ve been linked to cancer and heart disease prevention and they’re filled with vitamins and nutrients. Plus, they taste really, really good. When Bobby and I first started dating I turned him onto Brussels sprouts. After hating them his whole life, it turns out that he just didn’t like the mushy kind. When I cook them now I steam or saute them so the inside is barely cooked – no mush.

4. Sunflower Seeds (and sunflower seed butter)

250px Sunflower Seeds Kaldari 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Ahh, sunflower seeds. Growing up I would eat these at my dad’s softball games so they always conjure up that image for me – sitting on the bleachers, reading, but staying alert enough to avoid stray foul balls. Sunflower seed butter is a more recent discovery of mine, but it ranks up there as well. (Aside: I would have put peanuts up here until a week ago, but after keeping a food log for a week – doctor’s orders – it looks like some of my stomach issues come from eating peanut butter alllll the time. Oops.)

5. Apples

maggie apple 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Maggie picks and eats an apple

My favorite fruit. Should have in moderation because I break out from eating too much fruit (or sugar in general). However, bad at moderation = lots of apples (wah, skin).

6. Dark, dark chocolate.

dark chocolate bacon 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

My favorite dessert. Also should have in moderation because I break out from eating too much chocolate (unless it’s 99% dark – which probably just means I break out from the sugar in it). Lots of antioxidants, lots of deliciousness. You know what’s really good? Bacon chocolate.

7. Eggs

08 eggs and bacon1 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Scrambled!

I also like them fried, hard-boiled, and in a salad.

8. Butter!

220px Butter melt with sugar 8 Foods I Couldnt Live Without

Of course I need something to cook all of the above in. Love butter! Hooray for healthy fats.

***

I am now off to a yoga class.

What are your top 8 foods?

19 Comments on 8 Foods I Couldn’t Live Without

1. Coco
    10 September, 2011 at 1:53 pm (3 years ago)

I’m so with u with kabocha, broccoli/brussel, sunflowet seeds (need to try the butter version), chocolate, egg and recently I got hooked with butter on bread, need to try on other things.
    Love this post, I should do one too! :)

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:15 am (3 years ago)

@Coco: Mmmm butter on bread :)

10 September, 2011 at 3:52 pm (3 years ago)

Oh yes, definitely chocolate for me too! And spinach :)

3. teabagginit
    10 September, 2011 at 5:39 pm (3 years ago)

ya know i’m gonna second the kabocha-loving for my #1. i’m also a big, big fan of cruciferous veggies! i might do a post similar to this one, too! what a great idea!

4. Arlene @ Adventures in Weight loss
    11 September, 2011 at 1:19 pm (3 years ago)

Eight? Not sure I can come up with eight, but I’ll give it a shot. Since I’m doing Atkins, my list is likely to be protein-heavy. I’d love to include chocolate, but since mine has to be sugar-free, I’ll leave it off the list.

Bacon’s right up there at the top of my list, cooked to crispy perfection. Love that salty/smoky flavor.
    Eggs
    Zucchini
    Tomatoes
    Steak
    Almonds
    Cheese(especially sharp cheddar)
    Cabbage(and its German cousin, sauerkraut)

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:16 am (3 years ago)

@Arlene: I love cabbage! Maybe I should have included it ;) And tomatoes, too. Yum.

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:18 am (3 years ago)

@Arlene: And P.S., good luck with the Atkins! Seems like it is working so far.

5. clare
    11 September, 2011 at 5:42 pm (3 years ago)

yay!

kabocha
    cashews
    GF oats/cornmeal
    eggs
    Smaps cereal
    cinnamon (ok that isn’t really a food but i love it)
    zucchini
    almond milk
    tuna

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:18 am (3 years ago)

@Clare: I feel like I should have included tuna! I’ve been eating it a lot recently :) And you just reminded me, I need to pick up some more.

6. Kitty
    11 September, 2011 at 11:16 pm (3 years ago)

oh my god – I too went orange because of excessive pumpkin consumption. It is the shiz! my can’t be bothered cooking meal is pumpkin, eggplant, zucchini, garlic and shallots roasted/baked in the oven and then a packet of chilli salmon on top. divine. anchovies are also in my top five.

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:19 am (3 years ago)

@Kitty: That chili salmon sounds awesome! I bet tuna would be good on that too. I’m trying to eat more fish.

7. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    12 September, 2011 at 12:02 am (3 years ago)

Our list is pretty much exactly the same…just swap tortilla chips for apples. :)

8. Alyse @ Fit Approach
    12 September, 2011 at 2:31 am (3 years ago)

Bacon. I feel the exact same way about bacon.

I’d also add almond butter, red wine, sweet potatoes, avocado, snap peas, hummus, and blueberries. yum yum yum!

• Maggie
      12 September, 2011 at 11:19 am (3 years ago)

@Alyse: Ooo avocado! That is up there for me too :)

9. Jill
    12 September, 2011 at 4:32 pm (3 years ago)

I ALWAYS think of you when I see that squash. :)
    My list
    chocolate
    peanut butter
    salad and accessories
    eggs
    butter

10. Ty
    12 September, 2011 at 6:30 pm (3 years ago)

I need to locate and eat that squash! Squashes are my favorite veggies. My list would look like this.

1. Cheese (This is, by far, at the top of the list)
    2. Pasta
    3. Zucchini
    4. Tomato sauce
    5. Coconut milk
    6. Mushrooms
    7. Greens
    8. Garlic

That was fun!

• Maggie
      23 September, 2011 at 2:31 pm (3 years ago)

@Ty: mmm, garlic! Good one :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 8 Foods I Couldn’t Live Without