simple stirfry, siggi’s breakfast, & resolutions update

i made this stir-fry for lunch yesterday (tuesday, 1/24):

05 stirfry lunch 500x332 simple stirfry, siggis breakfast, & resolutions update

i decided to bring my lunch to work this week. i work at a big bank and we do have a cafeteria, but to be honest – it’s not that healthy, and after 3 months of the same old slop, i needed a change! this stirfry is made up of:

• broccoli + broccoli stalk (don’t throw that part out – it’s great if you saute it)
  • red pepper
  • can of tuna
  • frozen corn
  • fresh cilantro
  • garlic + chili powder
  • cooked in bacon fat (i save this each time i make bacon)

i had a sesame bagel alongside the stirfry. i’m really into bagels this week.

i also vowed to bring breakfast. i don’t usually like to drink my calories, but i have found several drinks to be quite delicious as of late, in particular:

04 siggis plain probiotic drinkable non fat yogurt 332x500 simple stirfry, siggis breakfast, & resolutions update

this is siggi’s probiotic drinkable non-fat yogurt in plain. i also bought the strawberry but i haven’t tried that yet. i don’t like siggi’s greek yogurt (insanely thick) but i did find this drinkable yogurt to have a good consistency (not too thick, not too thin) and flavor. i added some cinnamon to mine before drinking up. only 45 calories in this bottle which leaves plenty of room for other breakfast goodies like no-sugar scones.

resolutions update: i’m going in and out with the diet soda thing. i figure, if drinking a diet soda will keep me from snacking on something sugary – probably better to go with the soda. but it depends on the day. as for reading, i’m still plugging along on my book. it’s a slow read, not because it’s boring, but because i really want to absorb every detail. but i have been reading every day. it’s almost february so i need to figure out what my february resolutions will be. i have some ideas.

what do you put in stirfrys? do you drink your calories or save them for chewing?

16 Comments on simple stirfry, siggi’s breakfast, & resolutions update

1. sophia
    26 January, 2012 at 3:29 am (2 years ago)

I drink and chew my calories….most of the time together! I’m getting into wine and alcoholic beverages, though I still chug down my diet soda. They are expensive though. I’m trying to cut down because of the price.

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 5:57 pm (2 years ago)

@sophia: yeah, I’m getting a little bit into white wine. red wine gives me a headache though and I don’t like beer. But Bobby and I did find this AMAZING hard apple cider that I’m now really into. It’s good to be picky about them. Yes, I agree that the diet sodas are expensive. Blah. I need to find my SodaStream soda maker. I think my dad has it.

26 January, 2012 at 6:24 am (2 years ago)

I like sprouts and tahini in stir fries, I rarely make it lately because my mom cooks!
    I don’t like drink “food”, the only non water drink I like is tea and coffee.

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 5:57 pm (2 years ago)

@coco: Mmm tahini! I had forgotten all about it.

3. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    26 January, 2012 at 7:56 am (2 years ago)

The only calories I drink are from almond milk (with tea) and wine, otherwise I drink plenty of tea and water. Since I currently work at home mostly, I don’t have to pack food, but I’ll do that when I start working away from home regularly, in a couple of months probably.

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 5:58 pm (2 years ago)

@Kath: I used to work part time and got to eat mostly at home. It was so nice!

4. Jenn
    26 January, 2012 at 9:50 am (2 years ago)

I make a huge effort not to drink my calories, I prefer to eat them ;)

From time to time though, I will have a coconut water or a seltzer with some flavoring. Otherwise, I stick to teas and H20 to hydrate.

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 6:00 pm (2 years ago)

@Jenn: I just found a couple delicious low-calorie drinks you might enjoy too – this raw coconut water I found at whole foods (Harmless Harvest 100% Raw Coconut Water) and KeVita (a probiotic drink – the Strawberry Acai Coconut is the one I like I think).

5. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    26 January, 2012 at 12:32 pm (2 years ago)

I love eggs & sweet potatoes in my stirfrys. Yum. Also always top them with Brewer’s yeast. I don’t like to drink my calories either – that’s why my peppermint mochas are always ordered skinny. :)

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 6:02 pm (2 years ago)

@Heather: I’ve been meaning to ask, what is Brewer’s yeast? Is it the same as nooch? And I will have to try one of those peppermint mochas :)

• Heather Eats Almond Butter
        29 January, 2012 at 6:33 pm (2 years ago)

Maggie,
        Found this info on the Internet: Brewers yeast is a one-celled fungus, and used in brewing of beer. Brewers yeast is actually a by-product of the brewing process. Nutritional yeast is grown on molasses as a nutritional supplement. Neither are the same types of yeast as you use baking bread for example. Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are not alive; they are deactivated. Brewers yeast has a more bitter taste than nutritional yeast. Many people say that nutritional yeast has a cheese flavor and like to add it to popcorn and pasta sauces…Brewers yeast has always been a good source of the very important B vitamins and chromium. If your main interest is the chromium, you should choose brewers yeast as a good source of chromium. If your main interest is B vitamins, you could choose either, but it does appear that the nutritional yeast has more of the B vitamins. Both of these yeast’s will give you a good source of non-animal protein.

Personally, I prefer the taste of Brewer’s yeast – it’s more nutty, and it has a better texture – not so “dusty”. Love sprinkling it on bowls of oats (both savory and sweet), and it’s amazing atop eggs or veggies!

• Maggie
          29 January, 2012 at 6:49 pm (2 years ago)

@Heather – awesome, thank you! I did some quick googling but got confused. I will have to try brewers.

6. Kristen@Change of Pace
    26 January, 2012 at 3:41 pm (2 years ago)

Oh diet soda. If I don’t buy it I don’t drink it but everyday I find myself thinking “a diet coke would really hit the spot” :( I buy it occasionally but normally stick to seltzer. We always do broccoli and carrots in our stir fry. Definitely sesame oil too.

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 6:03 pm (2 years ago)

@Kristen: I kind of forgot about sesame oil! I used to use it a lot and then started trying other things and now it tends to slip my mind :) Thanks for the reminder, I will definitely use it again soon.

7. glidingcalm
    28 January, 2012 at 11:45 pm (2 years ago)

mmmmmmmmmmm that stir fry looks great! I never think of adding canned tuna into stir fries but I should try that!

and YES to bacon fat. so much flavor!! :D

in addition, I am a huge broccoli trunk fan! :D

• Maggie
      29 January, 2012 at 6:03 pm (2 years ago)

@GC: YES definitely try adding canned tuna! My sister also like to add beans (canned chickpeas) to her stirfrys. I must try that too. Hooray for broccoli trunk lovers :D