What Do the Cooks Eat?

I recently read this op-ed article in the New York Times. The title, “Of Mouselike Bites and Marathons,” is clever summary of the exercise and eating habits that go on in famous(ish) cooks’ lives behind the scenes. We’ve all seen fit, slim, healthy cooks (think of the beautiful Giada De Laurentiis) and wonder how they keep their figures while eating all that delicious, rich, buttery food. What we don’t see is that they only take nibbles of most of those heavy dishes, they exercise, and they eat healthily the rest of the time.

What Do the Cooks Eat?

Giada (source)

Or else, they’re not fit and slim, and they have health issues. Like Paula Deen. (If you didn’t hear, she recently announced that she has type 2 diabetes.)

250px Paula Deen Civitan What Do the Cooks Eat?

Paula (source)

As a very non-professional cook but expert food eater I can definitely attest to the work that I do to stay slim and healthy. I eat salad, I do yoga, I walk (now run… until April). When I make something decadent I try not to stuff my face eat in moderation.

Or, I just make something healthy.

iphone dinner salad 498x500 What Do the Cooks Eat?

This was a mix of:

• romaine lettuce (base)
  • sauteed in bacon fat: turnips (or parsnips, I forget), mushrooms, onions, cilantro, garlic powder
  • topped with whipped cream cheese – then mixed in because it gets all melty! + organic balsamic vinaigrette
  • ended up adding a few strips of bacon (unpictured) – I cooked them for Bobby and then stole some for myself

Ah, so good. The bacon fat and the cream cheese make it taste so rich and hearty. (Note: I have said this before but I’ll say it again – when eating bacon, it’s important to get it without nitrates/nitrites!)

Do you make healthy or more decadent dishes?

I like to think food can be both at the same time.

7 Comments on What Do the Cooks Eat?

1. Julie
    1 February, 2012 at 10:09 am (2 years ago)

I’ve often wondered the same thing! I once heard the phrase “taste everything, eat nothing” which is somewhat my motto when it comes to food that is unhealthy. I like to think that I can take a small piece/bite of each thing and not fill up on all of it! This mindset has worked well for me, especially with desserts, which are my weakness!

• Maggie
      2 February, 2012 at 9:47 pm (2 years ago)

@Julie: Yes I love that saying! I think it’s in Bethenny Frankel’s book (Naturally Thin). Desserts are my weakness too.

2. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    1 February, 2012 at 3:04 pm (2 years ago)

Sooooo good you posted about this! I often wonder whether those people are just blessed with superhuman genes because they cook such calorie-dense, high fat dishes, but actually they don’t eat them (just nibble). That’s such a relief!

I’m always surprised (and shocked) that restaurant food is often drowned in *so much fat*! If it’s cheap food, they drown it in unidentifiable plant (trans?) fat, if it’s an expensive restaurant, they drown it in oilve oil or butter. Nothing against olive oil or butter, but – 4 tbsp per serving? Seriously?!? 8O

And the veggies are always a garnish. Or a tiny, tiny sidedish. “Sautéed pheasant and truffled potato puffs on half of a Brussel sprout, with a lemony hollondaise.” Yuck. Preferably drowned in olive oil. (But that’s not mentioned in the menu.) Not to mention the *loads* of salt.

Honestly, I’d rather save the money and buy a whole organic chicken, which I’d cook with spices (save the broth! :D) and serve with *a lot* of steamed veggies. Veggies are actually the basis of my diet. I think I cook healthy dishes, the main part is always colorful veggies (I try to cover several colors with every meal), and then there are healthy fats (coconut oil, ghee, etc) and a good source of protein. Tummy likes that. :)

• Maggie
      2 February, 2012 at 9:48 pm (2 years ago)

@Kath: Yes, I am usually ver disappointed in restaurant food. I just don’t understand why they must mutilate it so much! I enjoy eating delicious, fresh veggies – they are perfect on their own as long as they’re high quality. Veggies are the basis of my diet too, then protein and fat, and I have been adding small amounts of grains back in as well :)

3. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    1 February, 2012 at 5:29 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve often wondered about Giada. That dinner is so up my alley…well not at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll love it again in a few weeks. Veggies are not my friend at the moment. :(

• Maggie
      2 February, 2012 at 9:48 pm (2 years ago)

@Heather: Sounds like they might be coming back! :)