Apple Squash Oatmeal Breakfast Bars (Whole Wheat, No Sugar) Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups squash puree (homemade steamed + mashed kabocha squash)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chocolate extract (or other extract of choice)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (or: 1 cup oat bran + 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup white flour)
- 1.5 cups finely chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon (apple pie spice)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (or other nut)
- Preheat oven to 375F, grease or butter a large flat baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine oil, squash puree, eggs, and extract – mix well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, apple, salt, cinnamon, and sunflower seeds.
- Add dry ingredient mix to the wet ingredients; you can mix it with your (clean) hands if that is easier than with a spoon.
- Spread dough (it’s thick) onto the baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
Makes 24 bars.
Prep time: 15 minutes.
Cook time: 45 minutes.
113 calories per bar.
Cook’s note: try serving it spread with butter or whipped cream cheese.