Yesterday Bobby and I went to visit some good friends out in Dumbo (Brooklyn) for a nice brunch. Afterwards we headed over to the Brooklyn Ikea. Got a few things…
^^ Ringskar Kitchen Faucet (with pullout spout). ^^
Last time I was at Ikea (in Paramus, NJ) they were out of this so I have been meaning to go back and grab one when it came in stock.
^^ Apelskar sink faucet (for the bathroom). ^^
I also got these cute holiday lights (below) and put them in my downstairs hallway, which was sorely lacking in light. Love them.
I was just browsing through last year’s posts and I came across my 2012 new year’s resolutions. Here is how I did last year (crossed out means I did not do it; bold means I did):
Ditch diet soda(and artificial sweeteners in general). –> I did not ditch diet soda, but that is certainly the only artificial sweetener that came my way. I don’t eat Splenda, Equal, etc… I do use stevia. I know I need to work on this more. I have already had some diet soda in 2013 so… should cut down. Eat less. (Makes you live longer.)–> I didn’t do this either, but it worked in my favor to cure my PCOS.
- Go to a yoga class 2-3 times a week. –> I’m pretty sure I did this one! If not exactly 2-3 times a week consistently, it probably evened out to 2-3 times a week.
- Get out for a 20 minute walk every day.
Take a friend or family member. –> I took walks, but most of the time not with friends or family. I actually have a 10 minute walk to and from the subway every day, so this was completed without much effort. No eating or snacking after dinner. –> Nope! Need to work on this still.
- Eat breakfast daily. –> Success!
- Cut back on caffeine (1 cup a day!). –> Success! I think there were a few days that I may have had 1.5 or 2 cups, but this was very rare.
Eat less grains and sugars. –> This is a half and half success – which I guess is not a success! I don’t remember how many grains and sugars I was eating in 2011 so it’s hard to judge if I ate more or less.
- Eat more organic and local food. –> Success! I joined a CSA near my apartment.
- Eat more salads. –> I think I ate about the same number? Not sure. I definitely ate good, local, organic food, and up until I didn’t have a kitchen I was eating a lot of veggies. I’ll call it a win.
Only have dessert once a week (but make it good). –> Definitely did not pull through on this, especially during the holidays. Do 5 sun salutations each morning when you wake up. –> I didn’t do this, but I did do a lot of yoga.
Looks like I got 6 / 12. Exactly half – I’ll take it!
I actually had more resolutions – the ones above were just my food & fitness ones. The more mental ones were:
- Read more – a book a week? (Or at least 30 minutes a day, if the book is too long to read in a week.) –> I definitely read more! I don’t think it was a book a week but it was a lot. Maybe this year a goal will be to keep track of what I’ve read.
- Hang out with friends twice a week. –> I think I failed at this exact goal… however, I did definitely spend more time with friends and family in 2012 than I did in 2011 – so I’m calling it a win.
- Laugh often. –> Laughed often 2012 was a good year.
Go to the movies, a concert, or another kind of show – 3-4 times a month. –> Eek – no, definitely not. Perhaps once every other month.
- Stay hungry. Stay foolish. –> I made a huge decision last year to go back to my old job. I am so happy with that choice.
- Join a credit union. (Going “local” for finances.) –> I didn’t do this, but I did join Simple.
Track your spending and then find a way to save $100 each month (that’s just $25 a week, less than $5 a day). –> I didn’t do this and we definitely spent more than we should have this year due to home expenses and the renovation taking way longer than we thought. Meditate for 5 minutes a day. –> I did this sporadically. I should do it more this year.
- Go out on a date once a week with the husband. (
Get dressed up!) –> Didn’t get dressed up but did go on lots of dates this year.
- Give away old or unused clothes. (Or any other items you’re not using.) –> Ohhhhh yeah! Major success. Donated so much to the thrift shop (and can deduct it from taxes!)
Donate time to charity. –> No
- Organize one area or room of your home each week. –> I did this without even thinking about it. I just love organizing.
Mental & life resolutions –> 7.5 / 12. I think that is pretty good too!
I made a lot of goals last year in the hopes that half of them would stick. And more than half of them did.