Another Monday down and only four days to go until the weekend! Unlike many of my lucky family members and friends, my office did not have off for MLK day. I don’t usually count down the days in the work week, but work has been so busy and hectic lately – I really hope it calms down soon. I also have (another) dentist appointment tomorrow morning which I will be happy to be done with. I’m getting some work done that I have been putting off for too long It’s all good though and I will be done in a few more weeks.
I have found some interesting links lately that I wanted to share:
Monday Link Love
- The Nitrate & Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon: This article “debunks” the idea that nitrates and nitrites can cause serious health problems (cancer, heart disease). Honestly – I want to believe it; I just don’t know if I can. Apparently nitrates and nitrites are found in much higher amounts in natural foods like celery and even in our own saliva than they are in hot dogs, bacon, and other processed meats. Even if they are – aren’t they different? Wouldn’t our bodies treat “natural” (whatever that means) nitrates/nitrites differently than artificial ones? I have no idea. I’m not a food scientist but I would really like to know the truth behind processed meats. (Because I love bacon. Who doesn’t?)
- Breaking the Cycle of Emotional Eating: Just some goods tips for leading a happy, healthy life. I especially like #5 – Unleash Your Creativity and Do Something You Love Every Single Day.
- Homemade Lotion Recipe: I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks like it really couldn’t be simpler.
- Slow-Cooker Squash Stew: Butternut squash, chard, and parmesan? Count me in.
- 7 Ways You Might Be Inadvertently Sabotaging a Good Night’s Sleep: I may not always agree with him, but Mark Sisson just about always has an intelligent, well-thought-out response to just about every question or problem anyone could possibly have. In this case I do agree with him. The article is from November but particularly applicable now that I’m trying to sleep earlier. He makes good points – 1) are you getting natural light during the day? 2) are you eating too late? 6) do you have a nighttime ritual? and 7) are you simply staying up too late? –> These 4 all right true for me.
- Vow to Get More Sleep in 2013: Another sleep article. Tips include 3) turn the heat down, 4) unplug (what I should be doing now!), 5) meditate, 6) do yoga (OK!), and 7) stop puttering! (That means no chores after 9pm, yes I am talking to you my fellow type A’s.)
And I also just wanted to share some other random things…
Monday List Love
- Currently enjoying a glass of red wine with frozen mango chunks (Trader Joe’s). It’s like a homemade chilled sangria. Delicious.
- Wanted to share this pic of dinner the other night. I was out of the city all day Saturday (went to my hometown in NJ for a friend’s baby shower) and when I got home, Bobby had prepared this beautiful meal! It’s a salad with hard boiled egg, bacon, onion, and homemade dressing. I had no idea he could cook – he totally outdid himself. He also made butternut squash ravioli (from TJ’s) with sauteed veggies and he cooked up a cheesy mushroom flatbread (also courtesy of TJ’s). The salad is served in a really beautiful dish from my mom.
- Bobby used this salad recipe for the dinner salad and dressing. It was supposed to be spinach but I prefer romaine as a salad base.
- I promise, I promise – I will have renovation pictures soon. We are still waiting on the countertops. (Damn you Home Depot! You are the slowest part of my whole renovation. Not impressed.)
That’s all I have… I’m off to do some reading and relax before I go to sleep (early). Hope your week is off to a good start.