Good morning! I hope your week is starting out well. Did you watch the superbowl? Who were you rooting for? I watched bits and pieces – my favorite part was of course the halftime show. Beyonce nailed it. I have been a Destiny’s Child fan for years and I really hope they do a tour this year – I’ve never seen them live but would love to. I think my favorite tweet of the night was from Star Jones:
Bobby and I made a delicious superbowl dinner (actually – mostly Bobby! This man can cook nowadays). I will certainly post recipes and pictures soon, but here is the menu (everything is from scratch):
Healthy Superbowl Menu
- Homemade tempura shrimp with homemade dipping sauce
- Shrimp cocktail & homemade cocktail sauce (just horseradish + ketchup + lemon juice)
- White rice (Japanese short grain sushi rice – our fave). The trick is to rinse the rice before popping it into the rice cooker. Rinse it until the water isn’t cloudy.
- Cobb salad with homemade dijon dressing
- Fresh guacamole with veggies & chips for dipping
- Blueberries for dessert
- Decaf coffee for a post-midnight snack (we are kind of night owls – I’m trying to get to bed earlier though)
I realized this weekend that I am finally starting to settle into a routine again. I was so busy these last few months:
- Traveled to Japan (12 days – for fun)
- Went to 2 weddings
- Traveled to India (8-9 days – for work)
- More renovations
- Traveled to Miami (5-6 days – visiting family)
- (and general holiday + new year madness)
- Still renovations
- A friend’s baby shower
- … is that it? I think so.
I think that’s about it – all I know is that from late August until last week I didn’t really have a completely free weekend. This weekend was the superbowl, but it was very low key. We just had a friend over for the game & dinner, and my brother and his girlfriend + another friend came by late last night to stay at our place (they go to school north of NYC and had to be in the city for something today).
I know I am chatty today but I also wanted to share a few articles I enjoyed lately:
Monday Link Love
- Where do you put the smiley with it’s in parentheses? (Smileys and other emoticons within parentheses.) I never know so I was googling. This gives some ideas. I never want to put a smiley (and then end parentheses like so: ).
- The next supermodel: An Economist article about learning lessons from the Nordic countries. “Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland [...] all cluster at the top of league tables of everything from economic competitiveness to social health to happiness.” No one is perfect (ex: their tax model encourages entrepreneurs to move abroad) but they do have a really interesting mix of privatized and public benefits in everything from education to healthcare. Lots to learn.
- How to keep your front-loading washer smelling so fresh & so clean: I just got a front-loading washer so this was particularly helpful for me. The trick is to leave the door open so it can dry properly after each wash, and to wipe out the rubber gasket around the door. The reason these washer can start smelling funky is due to water that doesn’t evaporate and instead starts to mildew.
Plans for this week: I want to go to yoga 4x (1x in the morning). Need to get highlights done (after work or Saturday – found a new place I want to try). Cook in 3x. Bring lunch 2x. Go to Ikea to return a shelf and get the right one instead (tonight with my brother and his car). Go to hot yoga with my coworker one night this week. Go to Bobby’s band’s concert on Friday night.