Ups and Downs

The last month has been full of ups and downs.

The biggest up of my life: my son was born, 10 days late, on April 11th. He was 9 pounds 6 ounces and 21.5 inches long. He is a beauty. This is Kurt Edward (Kurt because we liked it, Edward after my dad):

kurt newborn 300x400 Ups and Downs

{Kurt: just a few minutes old, 4/11/14.}

I had a difficult labor. A planned natural, home birth, we ended up transferring to Mt. Sinai for failure to progress. I’m not sure how much detail I’ll go into later (I did write out my birth story but it’s long), but here are the basics: I went into labor late Tuesday night (the 8th). After no progress for nearly 2 days (Thursday afternoon) we went to the hospital because I was exhausted (since I went into labor Tuesday night I had already been up that whole day). I got the epidural (and will get it again – it was amazing) and pitocin and Mr. Kurt arrived in the wee hours of Friday morning.

He’s 4 weeks old today. At the pediatrician yesterday he was 11 pounds 13 ounces (90th percentile!) and 23.5 inches (92nd percentile). I don’t remember the head measurement but I think it was average. This picture is from this morning; I’m using my mom’s sling from when I was a babe.

kurt sling 400x400 Ups and Downs

{Kurt: 4 weeks old, 5/9/14 – sleeping after his breakfast while mommy reads the internet.}

My mom stayed with us for 3 days and took care of all three of us (me, Bobby, Kurt) during his first week. It was an amazing time.

We went down to NJ for Easter when he was just over a week old. It was Kurt’s first car ride and he was great. He’s been an amazingly mellow baby so far. He doesn’t cry for more than a few seconds (unless he’s away from mommy and he’s hungry).

I’ve been breastfeeding him exclusively, on demand. I have pumped and given him a bottle with my milk to make sure that he doesn’t reject it when I go back to work (unfortunately that time is coming way too soon – at the end of the month). My milk supply was insane for the first few weeks but it finally seems to be normalizing. Possibly my fault because I made lactation cookies (I’ll post the recipe – they work) and drank a few cups of Mother’s Milk tea. I also ate part of my placenta (in smoothies). My mom was a great resource because she was a former La Leche League leader.

And then the biggest down of my life. The reason I’m talking about my mom in the past tense is because she passed away suddenly last week. She wasn’t sick and it was a shock to everyone. It wasn’t her time and it wasn’t fair. She was a wonderful grandma for the 2.5 weeks that she had.

023 small 400x300 Ups and Downs

{Kurt’s first day on Earth – about 8 hours old, with Grandma.}

It sucks that I don’t get to spend my first mothers’ day as a mom with my own mom. But I will be thinking about her, now and always. I don’t have much else to say. I love and miss her so much.

More pictures of Kurt, because he is a ray of sunshine during such a difficult time:

bobby kurt sleeping 300x400 Ups and Downs

{Sleeping with Daddy on the couch – first week at home.}

blurry kurt 300x400 Ups and Downs

{Raring to go! About 2 weeks old, at home.}

kurt meg sleeping Ups and Downs

{Sleeping with Mommy on the couch – about 1 week old.}

We’ve been sleeping when we can. Last night he actually slept for about 4.5 hours straight during the night – a record. He usually wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat. Let’s hope that the sleep stretches keep on increasing. I’m very lucky because both Bobby and I have been off work since he was born. It’s a lot easier with both of us home.

Must go now – meeting a friend for dinner, and we want to go to Babies R Us first to get a few more cloth diapers. I’m using a mix of cloth and disposable but the cloth are so much better for his bum.

30 Comments on Ups and Downs

1. Jill
    9 May, 2014 at 5:47 pm (3 months ago)

Oh my Gosh–I’m so sad to hear about your Mom. My heart hurts for you. Kurt is a little ray of sunshine and I can’t imagine how you are feeling. Love from San Jose xo

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:05 pm (3 months ago)

@Jill: thank you for the kind words Jill. <3

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:08 pm (3 months ago)

@Jill: also happy (late) Mother’s Day!

2. Coco
    9 May, 2014 at 8:54 pm (3 months ago)

Really really sorry to hear your loss, my heart hurts so much when imagine that!

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:05 pm (3 months ago)

@Coco: thank you Coco, that means a lot!

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:08 pm (3 months ago)

@Coco: also happy (late) Mother’s Day!

3. Heather Eats Almond Butter
    9 May, 2014 at 9:57 pm (3 months ago)

Let’s try again. I will never forget your mom’s encouraging email to me when I was having trouble breastfeeding. She seemed so kind and gentle, and I know you must miss her terribly Maggie. I wish I could come over right now and hug you tight and tell you, you are loved. Thinking of you, Bobby, and Kurt lots. Love you.

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:06 pm (3 months ago)

@Heather: she was kind and gentle, that is a perfect description. Thank you so much for the kind words Heather. <3 Love you too! Hug your kiddos and CD tight, and happy late Mother’s Day to you :)

4. Joy
    11 May, 2014 at 7:25 am (3 months ago)

Oh my! You have had ups and downs!
    Congrats on your new baby but I am so sorry for the loss of your mum

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:15 pm (3 months ago)

@Joy: thank you for your kind words.

5. The Dainty Pig
    11 May, 2014 at 11:11 pm (3 months ago)

Sweet sweet Maggie,
    My eyes welled when I read this post <3
    I am sending you unbelievably SO much love right now. Hugs and hugs and hugs.
    xoxo Jess

• Maggie
      12 May, 2014 at 9:15 pm (3 months ago)

@Jess: thank you so much Jess. Hugs and love received :)

6. anne
    13 May, 2014 at 12:58 am (3 months ago)

Hi Maggie, I read your blog but don’t normally comment. I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your loss… sending you many virtual hugs. May little Kurt be some comfort in this difficult time.

7. Katie180
    15 May, 2014 at 7:46 am (3 months ago)

Hi Maggie, I followed your link from my blog site stats to read this post and I just had to write and offer you my heartfelt sadness and joy for you. I really hope that your mother’s legacy will go on to live through you and that you find great comfort in the journey into motherhood yourself.
    All the very, very best and congratulations on that gorgeous baby boy! x x x

8. The Delicate Place (@misathemeb)
    16 May, 2014 at 1:03 pm (3 months ago)

omg maggie :( what a high to low you’ve been through! i am sorry to hear about your mother passing. at least she got to meet your little one. even though my mother is very much alive in a literal sense, she abandoned our relationship late last year so i’ve been grieving a loss for the first half of this year as well. it hurts a lot but in time it does get easier. x

9. kim
    20 May, 2014 at 9:34 pm (2 months ago)

First of all, congrats on your beautiful sunshine. He’s a beau and really carry on the good genes. :)

Sorry to hear about your mommy’s passing. Such is the circle of life – one enters and one leaves your life. Kurt came at a timely moment for your sanity.

Take care and thank goodness NYC is finally warming up!

10. financial advisor jobs san diego
    16 June, 2014 at 11:43 pm (1 month ago)

It’s amazing to go to see this web page and reading the views of
    all mates concerning this post, while I am also zealous of getting
    knowledge.

11. donate cars maryland
    20 June, 2014 at 2:14 pm (1 month ago)

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I
    clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr…
    well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say excellent blog!

12. Miami Dade Intuit Quick Books Help
    22 June, 2014 at 1:38 am (1 month ago)

Your method of describing everything in this paragraph is really pleasant,
    every one be able to simply know it, Thanks a lot.

13. Miami Dade Roofing Contractor
    28 June, 2014 at 9:33 pm (1 month ago)

Right here is the right web site for everyone
    who hopes to find out about this topic. You know so much its almost hard
    to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).

You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for many years.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

14. general dentist Miami Beach FL
    29 June, 2014 at 12:51 am (1 month ago)

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was great. I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already
    ;) Cheers!

15. seo Barnet
    29 June, 2014 at 2:20 pm (1 month ago)

Hi there to all, the contents existing at this web page are truly remarkable forr people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.

16. Acqualina Condo 17749 collins avenue Sunny Isles 33160
    1 July, 2014 at 6:23 pm (4 weeks ago)

I don’t write a bunch of remarks, however i did a few searching and wound up here
    Ups and Downs | Say Yes to Salad. And I do have 2 questions for you if you usually do not mind.

Is it simply me or does it look as if like some of the
    remarks come across like they are coming
    from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would
    like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
    Could you list of all of all your public sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

17. american red cross store
    3 July, 2014 at 12:55 pm (4 weeks ago)

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I have you saved as a favorite to check out new stuff you
    post…

18. association of foreign investors in us real estate
    25 July, 2014 at 5:58 am (5 days ago)

The second half of this meeting usually involve a general
    discussion of whatever topics come up. One of the most
    vital features of resources items, the increase of leasing.
    In my many years of schooling, I have had several teachers who assigned topics for research papers.

Basically, the voucher means that the Federal Government will pay a specific
    amount of the rent. , It offers 3 B + G+ IT Office and
    Corporate Retail and 1st to 10th, B+G+3Floors and B+G+2Floors for Buy, Lease, Rent and Sale in Gurgaon with all aspects features and ultra
    modern amenities. Learning how to share expenses can ease the burden on all members of a household.
    Most of us like to keep our faces looking as good as they can do but an area
    of the body that really does seem to get
    neglected is our feet. A bookkeeper or accountant to keep your books for your real estate
    investing and tax purposes, and one who understands and keeps up
    with all the laws will be an invaluable member of your team.
    It is not uncommon for investors to search for beautiful locations and turn them into havens for
    the weary traveler. You would want to read this to learn some specifics associated
    with real estate investing if you are an avid goal setter, if not a frequent goal setter please read on and consider that
    setting goals which are really a powerful tool.

19. oscar blandi dry shampoo 2.5 oz
    25 July, 2014 at 10:19 pm (5 days ago)

It may sound like a mission, but 20 minutes is not a lot if you
    think about it. Oils such as jojoba, linseed, evening primrose, and shea butter moisturizes.
    This is a review of this acne skincare line from this popular Tawainese skincare company.

20. monster legends hack tools download
    28 July, 2014 at 12:01 am (3 days ago)

Before the Romans came to Scotland in the first century A.
    After they succeeded in killing the creature Hercules
    dipped his arrows within the toxic blood and they buried the
    dead carcass and positioned a big boulder over it
    just in case there was any chance of it coming back from the
    dead. Hawkshot has both a passive and an active ability, which are both really useful.

21. fiberglass dock box craigslist
    28 July, 2014 at 1:30 pm (2 days ago)

The case for RFID is well documented within specific
    business scenarios, but the benefit to the consumer are still little known apart from Londoners with their Oyster cards and Parisians with their Navigo cards.
    Remember though, fish doesn’t get better with age – use it or lose it.
    The second thing that’s helpful to know about French door refrigerators is that they come available with some of the greatest number of special features of any type of refrigerator on the
    market.

22. chudnutie cvičenie
    29 July, 2014 at 9:07 am (1 day ago)

Good day! I know thiss is somewhat off topic but I
    was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had issujes with
    hackers andd I’m looking att optiohs ffor another platform.

I would be fantastic if you coukd point me in the direction of a good platform.