What I’ve been up to lately…
1) Working. (This is good!)
2) Exploring my new gym. I dropped my yoga studio membership (Pure Yoga) because I wanted access to more workout variety. I joined the 92Y which is actually closer to my apt. Thoughts on that:
- I miss the Pure locker rooms. Their showers were sooooo nice. 92Y has a steam room and sauna (which Pure didn’t have) but I can’t use them until after I have the babe.
- 92Y yoga is actually quite good for gym yoga. And definitely challenging enough for a pregnant lady. All the teachers but one (I will not name names but she teaches at 9am on Sundays) have been super accommodating and welcoming of my pregnant belly into their non-prenatal classes.
- I miss a couple of my favorite Pure teachers, but I’ve found some really great teachers at the 92Y… namely the Thursday morning instructor for Power Strength! It’s a 45 minute class that starts at 7:15am; it’s perfect for me to hit up before I go to work.
- Confession: One of the reasons I joined the 92Y was for the pool – I joined a month and a half ago and I still haven’t stepped foot in it.
3) Eating! Apparently. For the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy I didn’t gain a pound (despite eating more?!); in the next 9 (I’ll be 21 weeks tomorrow) I’ve put on about 10-12. Apparently I am having a big baby. He is tracking in the 90th percentile for “size” (whatever that means) as of last week’s ultrasound (unless the due date is off, which I’m pretty sure it is not). What I find weird is that I don’t think my eating habits have changed all that much from the first 12 weeks to the last 9. I wonder how much of it is water/fluid and how much of it is baby/uterus/whatever else.
First up – ice cream. I’m actually not eating a ton of sweets (oddly enough, I’ve craved sweets less since getting pregnant), but sometimes I do just need that chocolate-vanilla fix. B and I shared this a few weeks ago at Ootoya, a new restaurant down by Union Square.
This was the omelette + potatoes + muffin we shared after finding out the sex last week (BOY! Did I say that??). They forgot to put the bacon in the omelette (it was mushroom, goat cheese, and bacon) so they gave it to us on the side. Even better. At Corner Cafe outside the ultrasound office.
This is chicken dumpling soup at a new little cafe called DTUT (Downtown/Uptown). It’s a coffee shop during the day and a bar at night. Soup was decent.
And finally, here is gluten-free pizza I got for lunch with a friend last week. My stomach has reallllly been acting up lately and I’m trying to do less gluten. No gluten is too hard but less is manageable. This was from a place called Mozzarelli’s (they have regular pizza too). (By “stomach acting up” I mean digestion is even slower than normal; very annoying; very bloaty!)
4) Feeling kicks. I have been feeling pretty solid kicks for the last 2-3 weeks now. Before that it was very vague flutters. Makes me very happy. B can feel them very occasionally too.
5) Body changes. So far my arms and legs have not changed much, but boy has my middle changed! The belly is not so huge that it’s in the way that much, but I can’t lie on my back anymore (feels weird) and certain yoga poses are pretty much impossible…
20 weeks! (last week)
The whole middle is just expanding and I feel like it’s not really a rounded bump yet. Maybe my abs need to relax a bit more so he can settle down and pop (I need to do a pic of this week – 21 weeks; it’s already actually starting to pop more.)
6) Yoga changes! Which could also be due to the fact that I have been way more lax in my yoga practice so I don’t have the strength I had 5 months ago. My chaturangas are horrible and most are done on the knees. I am hoping carrying a baby around will improve my arm strength Another example: no more koundinyasana! The belly is in the way and my body just doesn’t wanna do it.
I am actually still doing handstands against the wall (but only at home; not in class) simply because they feel awesome right now. It’s so nice to get the blood flowing in the opposite direction – out of my tired feet. I can’t do legs-up-the-wall because I can’t be on my back.
I’m not doing twists – twists are a no-no after about the 12th week.
(I’ll do a whole post at some point on yoga for pregnancy, but you get the gist – it’s totally different when you have a baby in your belly.)
So that is what is up with me lately. Keeping busy and very happy. Happy Monday!