Skip to content
Health & Nutrition Links
- The Hidden Truths About Calories – This article delves into the complicated science of calorie calculation. Though many of us were already suspicious of calorie counts on labels, this article proves that those counts can be wildly inaccurate. The way you prepare a food, the way the food was grown, how processed the food is, AND your various aspects about your body composition – these are four factors that contribute to how many calories your body will actually take away from a food. For example, the more processed a food is, the less “work” (energy) your body expends while digesting it, and thus the more calories your body gets to keep. If you have longer intestines than your spouse, you will get more calories from a food (or vice versa). It’s a really good read, and not that long either.
- 5 Ways to Make Going Vegan Easy – I am not a vegan, but I like these ideas. The ideas include drinking green juice, eating quinoa, using almond milk, eating more greens and fruits, and giving up one animal a month. Click through to read more.
- Chocolate Buckwheat Cake. Need I say more! I haven’t made it yet but it looks awesome.
Yoga, Fitness & Happiness Links
- 6 Things I Do to Be Consistently Happy – written by a person who does startups. The ideas include 1) waking up early, 2) exercising, 3) disengaging, 4) helping others, and 5) learning new things regularly. Click through to read the last one, and to hear his thoughts on the ones I just listed.
- Track Your Happiness – a cool app idea for the iPhone (I don’t think it’s for Android yet).
- Patanjali’s 8 Limbs of Yoga – this is a great illustration of them.
- Broadway Week – 2 for 1 tickets coming up (Sept 4 – 16).
- All You Need to Know to Compost in Your Apartment – to be honest, I have not started composting yet. There is a compost station at the farmers’ market Sundays (it’s less than half a block from my apartment) so I can drop it off there if/when I do start.