We are safe and sound in New York City this morning after a long and scary night. The flooding got close – just 1.5 city blocks away – but receded before it got to our apartment building. We are on the upper east side, close-ish to the East River. We have the basement and ground floor level, so we were very very nervous. So nervous that we brought most of our important belongings up from the basement:
I’m so happy and relieved that we weren’t hit too badly. Thinking of all those who were not so lucky.
Yesterday morning, before the storm got crazy, I did a quick workout at home, inspired by this Pinterest-inspired one.
Hurricane Sandy Workout (~20 minutes)
- 60 seconds of jumping jacks
- 10 pushups (on knees)
- 15 squat jumps
- 30 bicycle crunches (15 on each side)
- 10 burpees
- 30 seconds mountain climbers
- 30 seconds high kneees
- 30 seconds mountain climbers (yes, again)
- 30 seconds high kneees (yes, again)
- 10 tricep dips
- 30 alternating lunges (15 each side)
- 20 reverse crunches
- 60 seconds skater jumps (side to side)
- 15 step-ups on each leg (I stepped up onto a bench)
- 15 shoulder presses with 3-pound hand weights
- 60 seconds jumping jacks
- 30 second wall sit
- 45 second plank
- 2 sun salutation A’s to cool down
That was it. My calves are a little sore this morning – from the jumping jacks? This was the only exercise I did yesterday. I didn’t make it to that yoga class I was thinking about going to. I got to the end of my street but it was too windy to walk all the way.
What did you do yesterday? Were you in the hurricane’s path?
I hope you all stayed safe!
I am stuck inside today, working from home, because the MTA has shut down public transportation in NYC.
So what better way to spend my time than sharing some link love for all of you who are also sitting at home, bored of watching/listening to the TV/radio broadcasts about this storm that hasn’t quite hit yet!
I have a lot of links because it’s been a while since I did one of these.
Recipe Link Love
- Roasted Fruit - This sounds like a great recipe for those of us who have a lot of fruit sitting around (hello, seasonal apples and pears). Suggested use: oatmeal or dessert topping.
- Argentinean Empanadas – Back in August, Bobby and I went down to visit Coco for her baby shower. (She has since had her beautiful daughter!) Coco made the most delicious Argentinean Empanadas, and promised me the recipe – so here it is. Can’t wait to make these.
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie - I am not gluten free nor even gluten sensitive, but this pumpkin pie sounds really good. Plus, it’s filled with kabocha – so how could it go wrong?
- Pork and Poblano Stew – Over the weekend we picked up a 2-person (2 quart) crockpot from Target (there’s one up on 116th Street). I think this stew would be a great candidate for the new appliance. Did I mention the crockpot was only $11?
- Protein Smoothie - Okay, okay – this is actually link #2 from Voodies but I think me and Caren must have some kind of psychic food connection going on. I always star her recipes to save and make for later. I haven’t made this yet, but I’m planning on trying it out for a dessert sometime soon.
- Browned Butter and Cardamom Carrot Pudding – I starred this when I had a bunch of carrots to use up, but I don’t have them anymore (they went into the crock pot for a beef stew on Saturday). Fortunately this recipe still sounds good. Next time I have carrots I know what I’m making.
- Spiced Pork and Butternut Squash with Sage - I have about
a bajillion 3 butternut squash sitting on my table. (This is down from at least 10 – I got to take leftovers one week from my CSA.) When Hurricane Sandy is gone I think I will buy pork and make this mouth-watering meal. Not sure if I will use sage – I have so many dried herbs from my CSA that I’m trying to use up.
- Butternut Squash Salad - Though if I can’t get to the store for pork, maybe I will just make this meatless butternut squash dish. The ingredients and directions could not be simpler. I’m just not sure I have the patience to slice a butternut with a mandoline. But it sure looks delicious.
Books To Read & Movies to Watch
- I’m always looking for book suggestions and Lisa’s list looks pretty good. I have already read Gone Girl (loved it up until the ending) but the others look good too.
- Bobby sent me this list of Most Anticipated Films of Fall/Winter 2012. Looks like a good list! I don’t watch TV anymore so I never know what new movies are coming out. We really want to see Argo though. Anyone seen it yet?
- I might have revived my old linguistics blog. Just wrote a post today.
I will stop there, even though I have more. Links really pile up when you don’t do link love every week. I’ll save the rest for next time. I realize I’m a bit heavy on the recipes, but I am okay with that.
What are you doing today? Are you affected by Hurricane Sandy?
I hope you stay safe if you’re in an area that’s getting hit by the storm. I plan on staying inside most of the day. (Though… I might venture out for yoga? Would that be stupid? It’s only a few blocks away.) Aside from that I’m just working as much as I can. Internet is very slow so it’s kind of difficult.
Yikes, I have not done a link love post in almost two months! So please be patient for one more paragraph of Magpie updates and then you will get your links I’m lovin’.
This weekend my husband Bobby and I had a special last-minute visitor so the past two days have flown by. We have eaten at great places, wandered Manhattan and Brooklyn (farmers’ and flea markets), and just enjoyed ourselves. I love New York. I have also been loving my walking and yoga routines – every year when spring finally comes ’round I get so happy because I’m able to walk more and move. In the winter I am cold and sluggish but when the sun starts shining and the temperatures rise I want to run around and roll in the grass like a little kid! You know you used to do that too.
On to links:
Bloggy Stuff – Recipes, Health, Fitness.
Nail Polishes… (These are just a bunch of colors that caught my eye.)
Randoms – Books & More.
I am off to watch the news (is Osama dead now?) and chill out before I go to bed. I hope you had a great weekend!
What are you loving right now?