Happy Labor Day! In honor of this great relaxing day off, I’m going to talk about one of my favorite things: walking. This weekend I got to walk a lot with Coco (and Star, her hubby). There are 2 reasons I walk (in addition to the fact that I just like it)…
Walking As Exercise
When I’m walking as exercise, I like to do a few different things:
- Listen to music or podcasts
- Read a book
- Walk with my husband, or a good friend
- Chat on the phone with my parents
And sometimes I just walk in silence. Walking in silence is sometimes just as good as (or even better than) yoga for clearing the mind. Walking is almost like meditation.
I use an iPod Nano for my podcasts. I am actually looking for new podcast recommendations so please let me know if you have any in the comments below! I like nutrition, yoga, linguistics, languages, and psychology, but I’m always open to other topics as well.
Read more... (631 words, 5 images, estimated 2:31 mins reading time)
We are on day 2 of our Miami trip (we got here Tuesday night; we are in town for Bobby’s sister’s high school graduation). So far eats have been fantastic, but unfortunately I have a cold. I’m recovering, I think!
- Breakfast: blueberry yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, and wheat germ
- Snack: fresh papaya
- Lunch: Japanese bento box from Matsuri – this was ordered off the special Japanese menu, thanks to my future MIL. She knows I love hijiki so she suggested it. It came with grilled saba (mackerel), hijiki salad, salad, miso soup, sukimono (pickled vegetables – in this case cucumber). (Picture source.)
- Dinner: papaya salad (papaya, tomato, shrimp, calamari, mussels) and Thai basil chicken from Lan (with friends). (old pictures)
- Dessert: a cookie that I made with my friend (chocolate chip and pecan! recipe coming soon maybe…) + a bite of the bagels we made (cinnamon raisin)
Read more... (227 words, 3 images, estimated 54 secs reading time)
My wedding was on July 24th, 2010. When I moved to New York in November 2009 from California, I took a new job, I started eating out more, and got a little bit lax about exercise and fitness. I wanted to shape up a little bit for the wedding, so these are the exercises that I found most effective:
- Tom Morley’s Buns and Thighs Yoga (~25 minutes)
- YogaDownload’s Yoga Sculpt (~25 minutes)
- YogaDownload’s Weight Loss Yoga (~25 minutes)
Read more... (695 words, 11 images, estimated 2:47 mins reading time)