The last weekend in October Bobby and I went down to NJ to visit my family. My dad sent us back with a late birthday present of CSA meat. Of course I forgot to snap a picture of the delicious chili that I made with it, but here is the simple recipe – based on this primal chili from The Grok Pot (my dad’s suggestion).
Paleo/Primal Crock Pot Chili
- 1 pound grass fed organic ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup leftover pasta sauce
- 1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes (I try to make sure I get mine from Eden foods or other organic companies that don’t have BPA in the cans)
- ~1 cup leftover veggies (from Chinese food the night before) (optional)
- 1-2 tiny Thai peppers (optional; you can just add more chili flakes if you don’t have hot peppers)
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed and chopped (I use the pre-chopped garlic you get in a jar – sort of cheating but easy!)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste (1/2 teaspoon salt to start)
- Throw everything in the crockpot and mix a little; heat all day on low OR at high for 4-5 hours.
- If you want, you can start to cook the beef and onions to brown them before you put everything into the crockpot. This brings out the flavor a bit more.
We had ours on top of white rice (rice cooker) and topped with shredded cheddar cheese. We also had a salad on the side.
This was a perfectly satisfying meal – and so far we have managed to make it into 3 meals. Once it was the main, the 2nd time was with leftover homemade pizza, and I just had some with a fried egg for breakfast.
Speaking of that pizza…
I cooked up some pork belly (more CSA meat) and then sauteed turnip greens and scallions in the leftover fat. Slapped some pasta sauce on a premade crust, then topped it with fresh mozzarella, the greens, raw peppers, and the pork – then baked it til done.
Delicious! The side salad is baby mustard greens, raw turnips, and radishes, simply dressed with olive oil and black mission fig balsamic vinegar + salt & pepper.
And as for pregnancy updates – I’m feeling great. I’ll get into details more soon! Just wanted to share these 2 delicious meals this morning.
What have you been eating lately? How is fall treating you?
Loved the extra hour we got this weekend. If only we always needed one less hour of sleep or had an extra hour in the day 😉