Inspired by last weekend’s shenanigans, I wanted to make my own version of coconut pancakes. First I had to get myself an early birthday present (it was already wrapped, oddly enough!):
My very own griddle (Calphalon, from Williams Sonoma, if you want to get your own). This may be the best kitchen item I have ever bought. Better than this guy (which caused bleeding), and definitely better than this one. But without further ado…
Coconut Pancake Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2 – or 1 big breakfast – it’s about 500 calories total, without toppings)
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites (1 yolk, 3 whites total)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (This is because I don’t have baking powder or soda. I don’t know if it did anything. Maybe you can just leave it out.)
- Preheat your griddle (low heat).
- Mix together the yolk, flakes, flour, almond milk, salt, and lemon juice. Set aside. This should sit for about 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the yolk and flour mixture to the egg whites; mix together gently.
- Scoop 1/2 cup-fuls of the batter onto the griddle. When bubbles start to appear and pop, it’s time to flip. Mine took about 3-4 minutes per side. (This is low heat, remember.)
- Top the coconut pancakes with: more coconut flakes, honey, peanut butter, whipped cream, or whatever you desire!
You can’t not make these coconut pancakes. This coconut pancakes recipe came out with 10 small guys; I think I had 6 and Bobby had 4 plus vegetarian bacon (which tastes delicious cooked on a griddle; I had a bite).
There were about 500 calories in the whole coconut pancake recipe, so it’s either a substantial 1-person breakfast or you can put on some toppings and split it between 2 people. Or save half for another day. I topped mine with more coconut flakes and honey.
I’m really into the coconut this week and I have another recipe to share with coconut in it later.
Do you like coconut? What’s your favorite coconut recipe? Have you made coconut pancakes yet?
Don’t forget – You have one day left to win some yummy stevia 🙂 **If you want another entry, go to my newly updated recipes page and leave a comment (on the stevia post) telling me what recipe you want to try!** And you have until the end of the month to use this stevia coupon.