We loved this scrambled tofu breakfast. Bobby has been raving about it all night. The tofu was crumbly, but still held its texture and chew. The veggies and spices added their own wonderful flavors. If you’re not in the mood for eggs (or if you are vegan, or allergic to them), this meal is just as healthy and possibly more substantial and filling.
Scrambled Tofu Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 10 ounces of extra firm tofu (about 2/3rds of a 14-ounce package)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 large zucchini, roughly chopped (this was from CSA)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped (or 1 whole small one)
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly crushed oregano (from CSA!)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic; saute for 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and red pepper; saute for 4 more minutes. Add the spices and mix for 20-30 seconds, then pour in 2-3 tablespoons of water to deglaze the pan.
- Crumble in the tofu and continue to cook, stirring and mixing gently, for about 10 more minutes. Keep adding small amounts of water if the tofu starts to stick.
- Add the lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Mix and cook for 2 more minutes. Add a little more water if the mixture seems dry.
- Serve hot with salsa! We also had whole wheat couscous with this meal.
If you don’t have nutritional yeast, just omit it – you probably won’t need to add as much water though.