7 Instant Diet Boosters
(I wrote this title using HBH’s tips)
- Eat in color. Your food should be as diverse in color as a rainbow – seriously. Colorful foods are appealing to the eye because they are good for us (not talking about food dye color here!). Brightly colored foods generally have more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Take the grapefruit for example – pink and red grapefruit both have lycopene (a heart-healthy antioxidant) while white grapefruit does not (lycopene is what gives the pink and red ones their color).
(This picture is a colorful Italian open air market (in Venice).)
- Choose brown rice over white. Brown rice is not only more flavorful and satisfying, but it has 6 times the fiber of white rice, exponentially more nutrients, and it’s great for digestion.
- Choose rich leafy greens over watery lettuce. Lettuce is a healthy start, but leafy greens pack a powerful punch of calcium, iron, folate, and vitamins A, K, D, and E.
- Choose whole grain bread and grains over white. Same logic as the brown rice – whole grain breads have more fiber, iron, and potassium than their white counterparts. (Beware of brown breads like pumpernickel – they’re not actually whole grain. I love pumpernickel, but I don’t kid myself by saying it’s whole grain. I just eat it cuz it’s good.)
- Drink iced (or hot) tea instead of soda. Soda is very bad. Sweeten your iced tea a little (sugar, honey, etc…) and drink up. Green tea is supposedly very healthy (I think all tea is healthy).
- Pick nut milk over dairy. Nut milk has no cholesterol and no added hormones. Plus, a lot of people are sensitive to dairy and they don’t even know it.
- Try fruit sorbet for dessert. Fruit has lots of vitamin C and phytochemicals (color, remember!).
(My favorite leafy green = KALE (click for recipe).)
(This is one of my first recipes: Spiced Holiday Braid from 12/07.)
(This iced tea is from Slanted Door in San Francisco.)
(Chocolate Almond Breeze is my favorite.)
(This is from San Fran too.)
You have any more diet boosting tips?
Exercise of the day: walking home from work (1.4 miles) + the first 25 minutes of Crunch: Fat Burning Pilates.
Here is a cool deal from FreshDirect (a very affordable grocery delivery service that I use a lot) for you – 20% off all local products with this code:
12 Replies to “7 Instant Diet Boosters”
Great tips! I always try to stay away from white–white flour, white bread, white rice! But for #5, I never drink soda and rarely drink tea– I’m more of a water and fruit/veg smoothie type of girl. And re: #7, I can’t seem to get into fruit sorbets because I like my ice cream to be creamy! Otherwise I like eating fruit plain and on its own.
great list maggie! i def follow as many of those as i can, like i’m going to be using brown rice in my sushi this weekend!!!
and almond breeze is the best!
Need to try that kale recipe! Last time I bought kale, I ended up letting half of it go bad:(
Love the 7 diet boosters!! All great choices.
Awesome post! I can’t believe how fast your wedding is coming up! I’m getting nervous haha I can’t wait! (:
I gave up soda four years ago. You’re right- it IS gross, and I LOVE unsweetened iced tea!
<3 I love chocolate Almond Breeze.
I love making lists (not only when I’m frazzled…but in general haha)
8 days?! That’s so exciting!!
That is a great list. I have reduced my dependence on dairy and i am surprised how well it has worked for me,esp the stomach troubles and my facial skin!
8 days, that is so exciting!!!!!!
I definitely make lists when I get stressed… must be a September 15th thing 😉
Comments are closed.